Taking a day off?

DelawareJones

I've been working everyday since May. I was wondering if its possible to take one day off in early October? How strict are they when its comes to letting people take a day off. I have to go to a wedding in October. I work the M-friend on midnight shift so I planning on leaving Friday morning and coming back Monday evening, so I will only miss one day. Also since I started in May, should my probation period end before then? I would be willing to work an extra shift either the week before or the following week? thanks!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You should be fine. Just put in your request with your immediate supervisor. You may or may not be able to make up the time by working an extra shift. Enjoy the wedding.

BrownTexas

I'd say someone that shows up everyday m-friend would warrant a day off or 2 without any issues. Hopefully your sup would feel the same. If not, as long as you call in you will be fine. Just because you don't have vacation days doesn't mean you can't still call in.

As long as you do not show up late to work, no call no show, you should fine. Let your FT sup or a PT know ahead of time or if it's last notice, just say that it's a family emergency.

HardknocksUPSer

If I were to do this I would try to make sure I had a written agreement or a sups signature instead of a verbal agreement that could be easily forgotten about.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
what I have done in the past is tell them the truth and be upfront about why I need the day off. this rarely works. they will take it as a sign of weakness and say NO!

just call that morning and say you need the night off. period. end of story. no excuses necessary. with your attendance record should not be a problem.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Just ask your sup and make them aware of it soon. Then a couple weeks before double check. I have no problem letting someone have a day or two off within their first year. Just remember it's unpaid.

9.5er

The right thing to do is let them know well in advance.

The only way to guarantee you get the day off is call in one hour before start time.

UPSGUY72

I've been working everyday since May. I was wondering if its possible to take one day off in early October? How strict are they when its comes to letting people take a day off. I have to go to a wedding in October. I work the M-friend on midnight shift so I planning on leaving Friday morning and coming back Monday evening, so I will only miss one day. Also since I started in May, should my probation period end before then? I would be willing to work an extra shift either the week before or the following week? thanks!

If you need a day of just call in. If you would like a day off ask they might say no then you have to call in and look like an idiot.

or do what I do tell them you won't be in on what ever day you need off if they say they can't give it to then tell them well I'm giving you a heads up I'll be call in either way I won't be here...

box_beeyotch

If you need a day of just call in. If you would like a day off ask they might say no then you have to call in and look like an idiot.

or do what I do tell them you won't be in on what ever day you need off if they say they can't give it to then tell them well I'm giving you a heads up I'll be call in either way I won't be here...

Exactly.

werenotthepostoffice

deep down inside I really do not care

I've done that before.Followed up with,'I'm not asking,I'm telling you".They get the message Lima Charley