Taking a day off?

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
before cell phones the company wanted me to have a pager when I was a relief feeder. I called in early a.m. about work. if none, I'd call around lunch time about afternoon or night work. if none , I would go to the beach.

center manager brought me into office and tried to force me to get pager. said I should be available 24/7.

I laughed and said OK. "you pay me to be oncall and i'll be available." he had no response to that.

some good came out of it. a couple part timers got on with feeders to shore up the relief board. the center manager was fired a couple years later and walked off property and of course I made it through a 25 year career smiling with a great pension for the rest of my life.

this company tries to make you feel "owned" its up to you to decide which it will be.

Cementups

Box Monkey
When I called in from Detroit I called and just said I wouldn't be in today. She said, we really need you with the amount of snow we had last night. I told her I couldn't make it. She said, "we will come and get you." I said, really?!??! She asked me, where are you. I told her, "In my hotel room in Detroit waiting to go to the car show." She hung up on me. Weird. Bwahahahaha!!!

AKCoverMan

There was an (former) employee at our local hospital who had called in sick and then posted facebook pictures of her day at the beach.

This is why I don't call in "sick" if I'm not sick.

Twice in ten years I've needed time off for an event that was likely to get my picture in the paper or on the local news. One time I was able to get another driver to switch his option day to another Friday. He wasn't doing anything in particular that day just wanted a three day weekend. I gave him a $50 gift card to a popular local eatery for his kindness.

The second time there was no deal to make. My attendance is fine so I called in and said I was not sick but I was not available to work and would be absent. I was not paid sick pay and it counted as an attendance occurrence but I could not be charged with dishonesty.

And I had a great time! From time to time stuff outside of UPS actually takes priority. :thumbup:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

This is why I don't call in "sick" if I'm not sick.

Twice in ten years I've needed time off for an event that was likely to get my picture in the paper or on the local news. One time I was able to get another driver to switch his option day to another Friday. He wasn't doing anything in particular that day just wanted a three day weekend. I gave him a $50 gift card to a popular local eatery for his kindness.

The second time there was no deal to make. My attendance is fine so I called in and said I was not sick but I was not available to work and would be absent. I was not paid sick pay and it counted as an attendance occurrence but I could not be charged with dishonesty.

And I had a great time! From time to time stuff outside of UPS actually takes priority. :thumbup:

I called in "sick" one day and my on-car saw me walking out of the movie theater at the mall later that same day.