Taking a part time sup job?

Skittles

Hello upsers, my sups been talking to me about being a pt sup, I'm not sure if it's something I'm interested in. I'm 19, not going to college or have any interests in it. My plan is to stay at ups and make a career out of it, I love this job and the people. I want to drive, but my "dream job" would be a feeder driver or a full time sup, so would being a pt sup help me become a full time sup before I could drive a pc. Thanks in advance

F

FrigidAdCorrector

If you're not interested in it, I wouldn't take it. I'm a PT Sup and I wanted to move up to management for the experience. It can be really stressful and demanding at times. The beauty of being an hourly is you go home, and that's it. Not the case when you're management. I talk to my FT Sup a couple times a day when I'm not at work.

You need to have a thick skin and be confident in your decisions. If you're looking to go into FT Supervision it may be tough. There are a lot of PT Sups with degrees that want to move up to, and the degree gives them a leg up. If you want to go into Feeders stay hourly. It's going to take a while. But you aren't going to have a leg up by going into management.

In your case: PT Sup, FT Sup, PC Driver

In other people's case option #2: Package Handler/Pre-Load, PC Driver, Feeder.

* You can't become a PT Sup & jump right into a PC driver you must become a FT Sup first.

F

FrigidAdCorrector

* You can't become a PT Sup & jump right into a PC driver you must become a FT Sup first.
Not necessarily. We had a PT sup in my building go to driver school and was an off the street hire about 6 months later for FT Hourly.

trickpony1

Not sure I've seen this.
I thought they wanted a FT Sup prospect to drive a PC a while and, perhaps, through a peak season to "get the feel and experience" of it.

Cementups

Box Monkey
If you want to go driving, you'll have a shorter wait staying a PTer. Don't sell your should unless it's something you absolutely want.

UPSGUY72

Hello upsers, my sups been talking to me about being a pt sup, I'm not sure if it's something I'm interested in. I'm 19, not going to college or have any interests in it. My plan is to stay at ups and make a career out of it, I love this job and the people. I want to drive, but my "dream job" would be a feeder driver or a full time sup, so would being a pt sup help me become a full time sup before I could drive a pc. Thanks in advance

If you want to be a package car and eventually feeder driver you need to put in your time. The time it takes will very depending on a number or factors it could be a year or 10 you never know. If they are asking you to become a PT Sup they are also most likely promising you things that will never happen. I most cases these days once you become a PT SUP your career at UPS has hit a dead end...

Good luck in what ever you choose the choice is up to you make it wisely ask some of your brother and sister at work what they think.....

F

FrigidAdCorrector

In the past that happen quiet often. These days it doesn't happen very often. In my area of 4 center in 3 building it hasn't happen in over 10 years.
He's for sure an exception. Just went FT last year. He's obviously certified to drive. But he never did a route for a couple weeks or anything like that.

DOK

If you want to make a careeer at UPS then do not go into PT management. Do your time and wait to become a driver.

Good advice. Pt sups get treated badly. Plus you'll wait forever to drive. If your ultimate goal is to hold a teamster driving position, then stay a teamster.