taking a trip to San Francisco for a interview

carlb

Hey everyone .
My name is Carl . I currently live in Orlando fl and I am looking to move to California . I currently work for pepsi as a Bay driver here in Florida, but seen a opening for a package delivery driver for ups
I applied for it and right after they told me they wanted me to come in for a interview next week .
Here's my question .. ....
Most of the time it will say part time or full time or even seasonal delivery driver .
Does this mean that they are hiring for different types of hours (full time ,part time, seasonal ect).
Here is the post I applied for

Position: Package Delivery DriverJob Group: DriverLocation: SAN FRANCISCO, CA 94103 - SAN FRANCISCODay (8:30 AM - 7:00 PM)

JOB DESCRIPTION:

UPS is hiring individuals to work as full-time, temporary, seasonal Package Delivery Driver
Ect ect ...
I really would love to work for ups as a driver .
Any insight would be nice .
Should I take the trip ?

upschuck

You want to quit your job, move across country, and take a temp job? If you know what you are getting, then knock yourself out. I wouldn't do it because the move probably cost more than you'd make in a couple+ weeks. Remember it is a temp job, no guarantee of hours or longevity.

carlb

I am moving to cali regardless of a job . Just wanted to see if it was worth going out earlier for the interview .
I don't know if the job is for full time
Or part time. This is why I made this thread , for some help and insight .
I can always get a transfer from my current job . But if I can get a better job (ups) than why not .

upschuck

So the job that I applied for is a temp ?

JOB DESCRIPTION:
UPS is hiring individuals to work as full-time, temporary, seasonal Package Delivery Driver
Ect ect ...

That is what you said. That is the way most people get hired FT into driving, but is by no means a way that could assure you to get perm job any time soon. There is a ratio of hiring of drivers heavily weighted towards inside promotion over outside hires normally 6 to 1.

carlb

Ooo Oka .
Well its understandable about the inside promotion . I guess the only way I would take that trip is , if I call there hr and find out if is a FT position .. Cause it wouldn't make sense to take a temp . Thanks for the clarification

UPSGUY72

Ooo Oka .
Well its understandable about the inside promotion . I guess the only way I would take that trip is , if I call there hr and find out if is a FT position .. Cause it wouldn't make sense to take a temp . Thanks for the clarification

It's not a FT permanent position it is a FT temp / casual job. If you got the job it would be most likely from June 1 till the second week in Jan. to fill in for vacations and help with peak. You wouldn't be guaranteed 40 hrs a week meaning that if the package volume drop you most likely won't be working. You would basically be a on call employee.

Sorry but UPS dosen't post FT permanent package car jobs online....

carlb

I was plan on doing that today .
I meant to add more to that last statement above lol .
Would I just need to find out the number for that particular building and ask for the hr department ? Because there isn't a number in the email

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Why don't you transfer with your current job and go on the interview with UPS, that way you go in with the advantage of not needing the UPS job if it isn't what you thought. Negotiating from a position of strength makes you more desirable and less desperate.

carlb

Why don't you transfer with your current job and go on the interview with UPS, that way you go in with the advantage of not needing the UPS job if it isn't what you thought. Negotiating from a position of strength makes you more desirable and less desperate.

With my job , I have to wait for a transfer .
I just was looking to get out there a lil sooner