Taking a week off w/o Pay

rod

Retired 22 years
bottom line---if they like you and they have enough bodies to cover everything you might have a chance. If they don't like you - no chance in hell.

bigbrownhen

It wont hurt to just ask if its possible. As long as they have coverage it shouldn't be an issue. Most centers have enough routes cut out, there are plenty of drivers wanting the work. You might also ask your shop steward what your options are. Good luck.

SWORDFISH

My center manager would tell you "hell no" while the 3 of our drivers work about 5 days a month. Do you need personal time or is their any kind of situation you need the time off for? If you just want a week to play well GL.

Dustyroads

If it were me, I'd try to make it a week before Memorial Day, after that, with vacations, the staffing is always tight. I usually have to work 5 days a week from June 1-Aug 31. That just kills me.

SWORDFISH

Leave of absence... it's covered in your contract book... don't remember all the details, but it is there.

Hes speaking of article 16 sec 2. You can ask for a leave of absence. They dont have to grant it though. Your required to submit the request in writing to UPS and teamsters 30 days ahead of time unless you dont know when you will need it. They have to respond w/ in 10 days.

chopstic

Is your back sore? Do your wrists hurt? Are you stressed out? I bet the first response from a doctor would be to take some time off work, maybe even a week, and they would probably even be willing to write you an official doctor's note to that effect. I'm not saying to be dishonest and lie to a doctor... but come on... what UPSer doesn't have one of these symptoms after a long days work.

Yeah good responses indeed. I'm not worried about getting the week off now, but I haven't asked yet.... still thinking which route i want to go in how i would get off.

I do have some personal days that i just checked up on, but theres a good chance they'll get denied, it seems i have the worst luck with personals getting denied..

the reason I would take off is to visit a family member out of state whos been having some rough time lately.

SWORDFISH

If that family member happens to be sick FMLA is available. They have to give you that and you can take up to 12 weeks. Its not paid time but it cant be denied.

rod

Retired 22 years
Hes speaking of article 16 sec 2. You can ask for a leave of absence. They dont have to grant it though. Your required to submit the request in writing to UPS and teamsters 30 days ahead of time unless you dont know when you will need it. They have to respond w/ in 10 days.

I would think a "leave of absence" request would be for a period longer than a week. I knew 2 drivers that had requested a leave of absence and both were denied. Be prepared to have a target on your back if you just disappear for a week without permission or if they think you are faking an illness or injury.

LifeUPSer

Life without Parole
Blackjack, Not sure where you are located but out here in Northern California if you have the days on the books and you give them 10 working days written notice they have to give you the time as long as they are available. As long as there isn't 5% of the drivers off in your center you should be good. I don't know how much time that they have to get back to you for that but it should be within a day or so. Good Luck:peaceful:

SWORDFISH

Blackjack, Not sure where you are located but out here in Northern California if you have the days on the books and you give them 10 working days written notice they have to give you the time as long as they are available. As long as there isn't 5% of the drivers off in your center you should be good. I don't know how much time that they have to get back to you for that but it should be within a day or so. Good Luck:peaceful:

Its 10 days bro. It doesnt say working. Also you can bump a lower seniority person signed up if you give 30 working days notice.