Taking out routes-Michigan. Union is making their own changes to the contract. HELP

Here is a paragraph from the Michigan supplement regarding temporary route changes: "other than the months of november and december if a bid area is changed 50% or more, the employees shall have the right to follow the portion in excess of 50% of the delivery stops. If the temporary change involves more than a 2 way split, the driver shall select by seniority". The union has turned this statement into " if your route is taken out, you can bump ANYONE below you whether they have a bid route or not. Here's the kicker. THE DRIVER GETS TO CHOOSE WHO HE BUMPS. Then, management takes the driver that got bumped and places him where they want. He/she cannot bump a bid driver. We recently had a driver file a grievance due to his route being eliminated. He would call in and see if his route was available, not ask if anything else was available, then filed a grievance when he found out people below him were working. He was going for 15 days paid, he got 6 hours. Im assuming the union made some sort of deal with UPS and thats why this started. This is BS, they are taking my seniority, what do I do? What do you do when the LOCAL agrees with UPS? DO I take it to a state level? A national level? Please help.

CustomerConcern

Re: Taking out routes-Michigan. Union is making their own changes to the contract. H

Ok slow down....need a lil more info here. BTW this is happening everywhere. Are you the one getting bumped? How is this affecting you? From your post I would say everything is going exactly how it was meant to. How you losing seniority?

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Re: Taking out routes-Michigan. Union is making their own changes to the contract. H

Sorry I am no help, but I do not see an issue with this...what is the problem? There was likely an issue at some level that changed bump procedures there in MI. Talk to your union rep? The contract is open to interpetation as I have found out over the years.

No problem with this? It clearly states the driver follows his work whether it is split 1 way, 2ways or whatever the case may be. Rather than do that, they are allowing those bumped drivers to bump anyone below them at their discretion? Im sorry, but how is that right? If that was what it was supposed to mean, it would give a definition of what would happen to the 2nd bumped driver. Instead, they are saying that 2nd bumped driver cannot bump anyone below them. They are basically solving one problem and creating a new one.
As for the contract being open to interpretation, it shouldn't be. We voted this in, and that's how it should be. Its a legal contract.

UnconTROLLed

perfection

Our local language states an A/B/C bump, where the C is the odd man out. maybe bias due to it being enforced and the norm, but I think it is the most reasonable solution of any.

I am more often than not the odd man out with only 5 FT years

the perfect language for the senior guys and gals would state a daily bid of all routes pending FINAL volume and dispatch...meaning depending seniority age/other contractual factors, that person has the "easiest' and most desirable route daily. ;D Comical, but your argument would swing that way..

brownelf

dukey I'm familiar with that language and unfortunately it's true, the 2nd guy is taking the hit. But when my route is broken up I can only follow my work or any part of it as long as I'm the senior employee. This situation sucks for all that are involved in the route reductions, this is just another issue that needs to be addressed in the upcoming contract negotiations. We have the A/B/C bump in our center also, unfortunately my loop now has only me left in it as I bid the A route so they can break mine now and do at least once a week.