Taking the road test

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
OK! 1 month later. Passed everything, originally was going through this to be a seasonal/ single day coverage, but on my first day of class got a call back from my center informing me, they had a permanent full-time spot and it's mine if I want it.

didn't realize I was going to loose my vacation weeks, and had to cancel my flight to Myrtle Beach in 2 weeks...tiny sacrifice..but at least they'll pay me out the two weeks I have.

I don't know when I start. They told me I'd probably be back on pre-load for Monday, due to low volume..I just need to call in. I hope this doesn't become the ritual during my 30 day's..I would hate to have to wake up real early believing I work pre-load when really I have to drive that day.
Oh well, I'm trilled I got the call. I don't mind the tiny sacrifices all that much..
Look at that a man that is willing to give up a vacation for a 100k a year job.

arenc8161

Look at that a man that is willing to give up a vacation for a 100k a year job.

Obviously an easy choice. I can easily handle another year without anytime off, But it's a bummer considering I haven't missed a single day or had more than 3 days off in over 2.5 years. (only 1 at UPS). All work and no play makes me rich.[/QUOTE]

SmithBarney

I remember my test... test drive cause that's what it felt like. Took it around a local shopping center, did a hill stop, fun times. Just relax they are just trying to determine that you aren't a complete maroon behind the wheel... everything else they'll teach you in school.

arenc8161

Good news. I'm almost half way though my 30 days of probation (12 working days) into becoming a permanent driver.
I'm very confident in driving safe, getting the area knowledge down, and I've figure out how to use the diad board. I've ran under time allowed a few times and I've gone over only twice by just a few minutes. All of my management team seem to be impressed and have been congratulating me and telling me to keep it up.
Its funny though, The first few days out I was terrified... diad wasn't cooperating with me, I drove past my stop a few times, and driving with a supervisor, while he's talking into your ear is very difficult.
But the first day on my own, I nailed it.
I love the fast pace nature of our job and the more I do it, the quicker I get.

At this point I don't think I can gain much more time on the route I'm on right now. Lots of construction and such...I believe if i keep doing what I'm doing and don't get into an accident, I'll be fine .

Can anyone tell me what I can expect after my 30 days are up?
Will I be thrown on several different routes in the same week? Will i know what route I'm on the day before?
I don't want to ask management, I've asked so many question..I know they're sick of me.

Rack em

Made the Podium
At this point just focus on not getting into an accident and you should qualify no problem.

Once your 30 days are up you will deliver whatever route they need you on. Could be in town, could be an out of town route so be prepared for anything. Last week I was in town, out of town, and on a route that does a little of both. So it just depends on the day.

PT Car Washer

At this point just focus on not getting into an accident and you should qualify no problem.

Once your 30 days are up you will deliver whatever route they need you on. Could be in town, could be an out of town route so be prepared for anything. Last week I was in town, out of town, and on a route that does a little of both. So it just depends on the day.
Most of our new guys deliver 200+stop junk routes with maybe a few business routes when needed. Mostly depends on area knowledge.

arenc8161

I'm on My final week of probation, some drivers were saying they heard my name being tossed around for drivers who will be bouncing from route to route. Sounds like they're impressed and want to keep me. The fun is about to start....

However at my local hub, we have over a hundred permanent routes and lots of retirees coming up.. I'm hoping I can slide into a bid route sooner rather than later.

arenc8161

My 30 days are over. I've been running under everyday since my second day on my own, however the route is pretty easy to learn. My center manger was supposed to do a ride along but failed to do so. Some Driver's told me when i come in Monday I'll have seniority. They told me the route I'll cover next week, so I guess this means it's official.

This whole process overall was much easier than I thought. I stressed myself out way more than i had too.

25 more years... The countdown starts

P

pickup

My 30 days are over. I've been running under everyday since my second day on my own, however the route is pretty easy to learn. My center manger was supposed to do a ride along but failed to do so. Some Driver's told me when i come in Monday I'll have seniority. They told me the route I'll cover next week, so I guess this means it's official.

This whole process overall was much easier than I thought. I stressed myself out way more than i had too.

25 more years... The countdown starts

Sounds like you still need to punch in on Monday at least according to some drivers and you GUESS it will be official. Make sure you really know when you get seniority.

arenc8161

Everything worked out. I'm in.
Since my 30 days I've been on 4 more routes, I'm picking up area knowledge much quicker and this past week was awesome! I enjoy floating around like this, gives me a chance to see what's available. However... I've heard there are some full time drivers who've been working years that have only learned 2-3 routes total.

Next week I'll be on my fifth new route with no signs of slowing down. Are they doing this because they trust me? Or just want to see what they can get away with before I have a melt down?

Bonus question: How many routes have you people learned?

arenc8161

I'm not learning them blind yet. I've had an on car supervisor with me the first day each week. That's been very helpful, for the most part.

RJN

Hey, i enjoyed reading your story arenc8161. I just got the call today! Next Friday I will be having my driving test! My journey is about to begin, just wanted to get a quick update on yours .

-RJ