Taking your own package home

evilleace

I have never picked up a packeage while at work but I have thought about it thanks for all the info on ways to do it guys. Also definetly let a sup know that you are doing it and get approval, it is not get to even be accused of being a thief that is how rumors get started my friend.

Last edited:

mainebrown

i think its fine, but i wouldn't take it without the driver scanning it in front of you....cus whos to say someone else didn't take it...as far as trace goes...people meet up with me on road all the time and i just scan it and give them the package...if the trace is off, well...just tell the "higher up's" the truth about a customer meeting you for the package...

drewed

Shankman
Yea, find someone that can scanned it delivered, if its one of my employees i write delivered on it and sign it so if the guards have a question they can talk to me

evilleace

alright this might sound stupid but my dad is having a package delivered to the office in the neighborhood he lives in they didn't deliver today because there was no signature the office lady agreed to sign for it will they leave it tomorrow? sorry if this has an obvious answer. thanks

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

alright this might sound stupid but my dad is having a package delivered to the office in the neighborhood he lives in they didn't deliver today because there was no signature the office lady agreed to sign for it will they leave it tomorrow? sorry if this has an obvious answer. thanks

Does your father live in an apt complex where there is a manager's office? If so, he can request that the pkg be delivered to that office by either calling the toll-free number of leaving a note on his door to that effect, as long as the office manager is willing to accept the pkg on his behalf. This will help your Dad and the driver as he will have one less send-again that he will have to try to deliver again the following day.

evilleace

He does live in a apartment complex and the address is for the managers office and and she agreed to have it delivered there but she didn't sign for it today so it is a send again tomorrow and she said she will sign for it so I was just curious if they would let her sign I thought they would but wasn't sure, I would pick it up on my shift in the morning but he lives in another town only five miles away but covered by another center. Thanks for the help upstate.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
If this person is looking for their own pkg, in the middle of working, they're not working hard enough. And to top it off, he/she is posting this thread 40 minutes after leaving work. I assume that you went home, ate something, took a shower, relaxed a bit and then turned on the puter. This means, either you live right near your center, which tells me you could just as easily pick the pkg up at a decent time when you can sign for the pkg. Or, all you think about is the pkg and posting your thread on here to ask about it, before showering, eating, etc... Either way, I'm sure your drivers don't appreciate the misloads that occur as you think about your wonderful pkg that may be coming down the belt any second now. Sorry, just thought I'd swing another point of view.

evilleace

If this person is looking for their own pkg, in the middle of working, they're not working hard enough. And to top it off, he/she is posting this thread 40 minutes after leaving work. I assume that you went home, ate something, took a shower, relaxed a bit and then turned on the puter. This means, either you live right near your center, which tells me you could just as easily pick the pkg up at a decent time when you can sign for the pkg. Or, all you think about is the pkg and posting your thread on here to ask about it, before showering, eating, etc... Either way, I'm sure your drivers don't appreciate the misloads that occur as you think about your wonderful pkg that may be coming down the belt any second now. Sorry, just thought I'd swing another point of view.

good point steve I had not thought about it that way.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
couple of things

taking off the bar code for someone else to scan and deal with is never a good idea. basically you are walking out of a ups building with a package that does not show a delivery scan, which makes it stealing. period.
d

If the package has your name on it, and you paid for it, taking it home cannot be construed as theft. By definition, theft involves the illegal taking of goods that do not belong to you. You cant "steal" your own property.

If you peel the barcode off for the driver to scan, the package will show as delivered. If no claim is filed, everybody is happy. Just make sure that you have a reciept for the item(s) ordered, and keep the label with your name and address on it.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
sober

with all due respect, if you walk out of the building with a package that has no barcode or addy, and the thing has not been scanned before hand, and shown as stop completed, that is indeed stealing. the package is not yours until you sign for it and the stop is completed. removal of the package from the ups system without that step is stealing. period. regardless of your stated intent. it is not your property until you sign for it, or it is shown as a delivered stop.

there are rules for delivery. follow the rules, stay out of trouble. bend or break the rules because you think you are special, or the rules dont apply, then suffer the results.

d

IDoLessWorkThanMost

sober

with all due respect, if you walk out of the building with a package that has no barcode or addy, and the thing has not been scanned before hand, and shown as stop completed, that is indeed stealing. the package is not yours until you sign for it and the stop is completed. removal of the package from the ups system without that step is stealing. period. regardless of your stated intent. it is not your property until you sign for it, or it is shown as a delivered stop.

there are rules for delivery. follow the rules, stay out of trouble. bend or break the rules because you think you are special, or the rules dont apply, then suffer the results.

d

Agreed. The package is UPS's until it is signed for and the transaction has taken place. No matter who's name is on it.

soberups

I have several employees who live on my delivery route and they will ask me to look for their pkg(s). When I find them I will pull the PAL and give them their pkg in front of a supervisor. I will then Find BC when I get to within GPS range of their house so that I stay in trace and don't end up on some stupid report.

Same deal here, only I dont waste time pulling PALS or worrying about GPS or stupid reports...I just scan the package, hand it to them and call it good. Customer ordered package....customer recieved package....done. I could care less if the GPS beeps and honks at me, I'm just doing my job.

soberups

sober

d

I stated in my response that you should keep the label with your name and address on it, and be able to prove with a reciept that the item is yours.

Obviously if it is a "signature required" package then a signature must be obtained, because that is what the shipper paid for and, in the case of alcohol, firearms etc. what the law requires.

If the only reason for obtaining a signature is because the consignee (who happens in this case to also be the UPS employee) lives in an apartment, then there is really nothing to be gained by going thru the hassle of signing for it when it is just as simple to pull the barcode and leave it for the driver to DR.

The rationale for getting signatures at apartments is to reduce claims. Since the employee in this case is obviously not going to be filing a claim, it is pointless to waste the drivers time that UPS is in fact paying for.

demetriddp

abomination of nature

you're right, I only live 5 min from my center and I work the night sort so I don't really load any packages. We usually just stack them out in front of car, so there's a good chance my package hasn't even been unloaded yet by the time I leave.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
sober

again i must respectfully disagree

you need to get a signature because you are making an indirect delivery. you are not at the physical address that is on the package. and that delivery needs to be stop completed at that time, not hours later when you get to that section of your route.

in your last post, you negated what you posted before. and i agree, do it when the package leaves your possession, not when you finally get into trace.

anything else, in the hands of a hard core lp person, can cause you lots of trouble. it makes it look like you delivered it according to the trace, when instead you did something totally different, which can be construed as a dishonest act. seen it happen several times.

if you give someone a package before you leave the building, get them to sign for it, and hit stop complete as your first stop. that way, everything is done in accordance to ups rules and regulations, and should the employee be stopped on the way out, everything is in order and the package shows being delivered.

cover your :censored2:. do things the right way. dont worry about reports, that is not your worry, nor is it something that they can fire you over.

d

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Danny, I respect your opinion but think you are reaching on this one. Ours is a small center. This kid is the SPA person. I go through my EDD and see if he has something as he and his wife both love to shop. If he does I either ask my loader to get it or I go in and get it. I find the kid and give him his pkg(s). I then complete the stop in trace. What's the big deal?

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
dupstate

the big deal is you are violating ups policy. that package is ups property until it is delivered per ups methods.

what you are doing, should someone push the issue, is falsifying records

no stretch, fact. has happened several times here, and the last one we represented on something similar did not get to come back. the others got suspensions that ranged from two days to 3 weeks, all for similar variations of what you are doing.

upstate, pretty simple. follow methods. dont make up exceptions to the rules just cause you are in a small center and everybody knows and loves everybody else.

riddle me this. what would be your defense if they followed you and you show a delivery on trace where you didnt go, at a time you did not deliver the package? so why would you put yourself into a situation like that when you didnt have too.

so easy to just scan it when you pull it off, have him sign for it, and hit stop complete right then and there. that way there are no questions as to what you were actually doing, ever. and the stop is completed before the package leaves ups property. just like methods "recommends"

d

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

dupstate

the big deal is you are violating ups policy. that package is ups property until it is delivered per ups methods.

what you are doing, should someone push the issue, is falsifying records

no stretch, fact. has happened several times here, and the last one we represented on something similar did not get to come back. the others got suspensions that ranged from two days to 3 weeks, all for similar variations of what you are doing.

upstate, pretty simple. follow methods. dont make up exceptions to the rules just cause you are in a small center and everybody knows and loves everybody else.

riddle me this. what would be your defense if they followed you and you show a delivery on trace where you didnt go, at a time you did not deliver the package? so why would you put yourself into a situation like that when you didnt have too.

so easy to just scan it when you pull it off, have him sign for it, and hit stop complete right then and there. that way there are no questions as to what you were actually doing, ever. and the stop is completed before the package leaves ups property. just like methods "recommends"

d

I guess we will agree to disagree.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
agree to disagree about what?

methods

proper delivery of packages

or doing what you want because you dont want to change what you are doing?

d

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

agree to disagree about what?

methods

proper delivery of packages

or doing what you want because you dont want to change what you are doing?

d

danny, I have no argument with your point. This was actually suggested by my on-car. I have had a chance to think about what you and others have written and think I will change my method on this by completing the stop in the bldg. Thanks and sorry if I was out of line. Dave.