Tales from the 800 #

bumped

I never mark a time I will reattempt unless its a NDA. Working in the hood I never leave a package with a customers homemade note. They must sign the back of the info notice for me to leave their package if I deem unsafe. I will not redirect a package unless they specify on the info notice. And, I swear people just can't read.

AKCoverMan

And, I swear people just can't read.

Or more to the point they can't be bothered to take the time to read. If you check A all they really see is "writen authorization" and if you check B or C all they really see is "signature". Then (if they are bright enough) they flip the infonotice over. They breeze past all the small type words and fixate on the signature line. They assume all the mice type is simply instructions to sign the note and leave it on the door so they never read it.

The ones who are not bright enough to flip the note over stop at the word "signature" and get out pen and paper and leave a note that says something like "Dear Mr. Mailman, please leave my package, Regards, I.M.Dimwitt with a signature.

AKCoverMan

The #1 reason people call in to complain is when the driver doesn't knock/ring... Do you always knock/ring? Is there anytime you don't knock/ring?

We have heard this feedback in PCMs in my center.

Why would the driver intentionally create a send again and add to his stop count for tomorrow? I mean he/she has already found the package on the PC and walked it to the door, now he/she is going to take time to write out an infonote and service cross the package and walk it back to the PC but isn't going to ring the bell or knock?

Yeah that makes sense.

The only time I don't ring and/or knock is if there is a sign requesting not to, and it's a DRable package. I add "NO RING" in the notes section on the package and DR Front Door to document why I didn't follow SOP and ring the bell.

I am kinda surprised that "didn't ring doorbell" is the number one complaint. I would have thought it was from the people who don't read the infonote and leave it signed for me the next day on a sig required or wine shipment.

People don't get that the signature gathering exercise is not so much about collecting the signature but insuring that we do not leave these particular packages unattended; but rather are handed directly to the person signing for them at the time of delivery.

AKCoverMan

I got one of those "customer claims did not ring doorbell when can you reattempt" messages once. Had to laugh, it was one of these ridiculous multiplex buildings with a security door and NO WAY to contact the individual units inside. I called the center and told them. They instructed me to reattempt and call the customer when I was outside. OK, I am paid by the hour, I'll go back rather than have the stop again tomorrow and possibly the next day.

When I get there I call the customer and he comes to the door. He is upset because I did not knock on his window. In the second place I didn't know which was his window and in the first place this is a neighborhood where knocking on the wrong window at the wrong time could get you shot. So no, I am not going to try knocking on windows.. wtf do you have stuff being delivered to you when nobody can contact you from your buildings front door.

OK rant off I generally love the customers after all without them we don't have jobs. But some people!! :)

barnyard

KTM rider
We have heard this feedback in PCMs in my center.

Why would the driver intentionally create a send again and add to his stop count for tomorrow? I mean he/she has already found the package on the PC and walked it to the door, now he/she is going to take time to write out an infonote and service cross the package and walk it back to the PC but isn't going to ring the bell or knock?

Yeah that makes sense.

Why don't the operators explain that to the customer in the most exasperated voice possible?????

I am always blown away when people will suggest that I do something as part of my routine that would make more work for me. That is simply idiotic.

bumped

I got one of those "customer claims did not ring doorbell when can you reattempt" messages once. Had to laugh, it was one of these ridiculous multiplex buildings with a security door and NO WAY to contact the individual units inside. I called the center and told them. They instructed me to reattempt and call the customer when I was outside. OK, I am paid by the hour, I'll go back rather than have the stop again tomorrow and possibly the next day.

When I get there I call the customer and he comes to the door. He is upset because I did not knock on his window. In the second place I didn't know which was his window and in the first place this is a neighborhood where knocking on the wrong window at the wrong time could get you shot. So no, I am not going to try knocking on windows.. wtf do you have stuff being delivered to you when nobody can contact you from your buildings front door.

OK rant off I generally love the customers after all without them we don't have jobs. But some people!! :)

I will NOT call a residential customer with my phone. I don't care if their apartment doorbell doesn't work.

I will NOT call a residential customer with my phone. I don't care if their apartment doorbell doesn't work.
I had a customer insist that i must call him, his doorbell doesnt work! I said tell your landlord about your doorbell..not me.! I dont care nor am I calling you! Oh well i guess Ill just have to use Fedex!

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I had a customer insist that i must call him, his doorbell doesnt work! I said tell your landlord about your doorbell..not me.! I dont care nor am I calling you! Oh well i guess Ill just have to use Fedex!

Hope you said "Woooohooo!". I would be glad to give all my PITA customers to Fred. I don't have that many but the ones that are truly bad, I would be more than willing to get rid of.

Indecisi0n

I have a few customers with signs that read "if no answer call XXXX." I put my info notice right on the sign. I don't call customers. Never had a complaint.

If I know it's a special case or medication for someone I will go the extra mile.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
I will never call a residential from my personal cell. The company doesn't provide me with a phone and I will not have random people having my personal # with 24 access to me. I call the center and my sup from my personal cell as a courtesy and reserve the right to revoke that privilege at any time....I provided my cell to 1 small business upon request after he had proven himself to me and promised not to abuse it.

I will never call a residential from my personal cell. The company doesn't provide me with a phone and I will not have random people having my personal # with 24 access to me. I call the center and my sup from my personal cell as a courtesy and reserve the right to revoke that privilege at any time....I provided my cell to 1 small business upon request after he had proven himself to me and promised not to abuse it.
Thats the right way to do it. A customer called one of my co-workers at 6 A.M. to ask what time he was going to get his package! ............Drivers reply...end of the day since you woke me up...WTF

YesYouDidPushAButton

Thats the right way to do it. A customer called one of my co-workers at 6 A.M. to ask what time he was going to get his package! ............Drivers reply...end of the day since you woke me up...WTF

lol

I've gotten the same calls between 630-7am from customers.

The rare time when I actually call someone from my phone I end up getting screwed. I had a woman who I use to call with COD info in the mornings so I wouldnt have to wait call me on a Sunday evening. For whatever reason I answered, she got nasty with me and started giving me a whole schpeal about her pkg being lost somewhere across the country, I told her this was a personal number and not her personal UPS customer service number and hung up on her. She called in a concern for rudeness and unprofessional behavior, and I ACTUALLY got a warning letter for the complaint. NO JOKE

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
lol

I've gotten the same calls between 630-7am from customers.

The rare time when I actually call someone from my phone I end up getting screwed. I had a woman who I use to call with COD info in the mornings so I wouldnt have to wait call me on a Sunday evening. For whatever reason I answered, she got nasty with me and started giving me a whole schpeal about her pkg being lost somewhere across the country, I told her this was a personal number and not her personal UPS customer service number and hung up on her. She called in a concern for rudeness and unprofessional behavior, and I ACTUALLY got a warning letter for the complaint. NO JOKE

Be very careful when and where you give out your phone number.
After that, you have to be ever more careful.

chadwick

Yeah, another big request people call in for is, "Can the driver call me when they get here?" We tell them no calls, drivers don't have company issued phones.

Also people always want to meet up with the driver to get their package. We tell them no.

People will call in complaints on drivers and the people at the center all the time for the smallest things. All I can do is roll my eyes as I type up their complaints.

Anytime someone doesn't get their way usually the first words out of their mouth are, "Well Fedex can do that blah blah blah". Wish I could say "Ok call them! *click*". I just have to laugh to myself.

chadwick

Also DO NOT give your personal # to these people unless they're trusted. People collect driver phone numbers, the centers phone number, anything they can cling onto...