Talk by and about @%$#*& RIP

S

serenity now

.... never heard of the guy; didn't recognize him from the picture

That's OK, I'm confident he didn't know me either......

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Well, as long as you're over it ! Thanks for the touching tribute !!

bbsam pointed out that online condolences are basically a waste of time as the family of the deceased rarely if ever reads them. I have never met Paul Walker so as such am not personally affected by his passing. I coud have written "RIP Paul" but the words would have been without meaning.

My son and I went to a wake this past Wednesday for the father of two of his friends. I had coached them when they played Little League and Babe Ruth baseball and David played slo-pitch softball with him for the past two years. Neither of us were very close to the father so there was not that personal sense of loss due to his passing; in fact, neither of us felt the need to pay our respects at the casket as we simply did not know him. We went there to support Braden and Jordan. Had David not been home for break I would not have gone to the wake but would have left a condolence on the funeral home website for the boys.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

bbsam is a moderator and he should know!!

He should know what? That it is mandatory to extend online condolences to someone whom you have never met simply because they are famous? What purpose would that serve? Do you really think Paul's family is going to come to Brown Café and feel a bit better about their loss knowing that 20-25 strangers have extended their condolences?

The one area where I disagree with bbsam is if someone within the same industry passes away. While there is certainly no personal connection, there is the connection from having done or currently doing the same job. Even though my condolences will be limited to "RIP Driver". I was taken aback when bbsam appeared to show no remorse upon the death of two Ground employees at the same facility.

Last edited:

bbsam

Staff member
Somebody also suggested I was a cold SOB. You want a cold SOB quote? "Let the dead bury their own."
On a more serious note, I'm not saying whether such online sympathy is appropriate or not. I just don't understand it. I think it can only be for the online community but I don't know what purpose that serves.

bbsam

Staff member
Somebody also suggested I was a cold SOB. You want a cold SOB quote? "Let the dead bury their own."
On a more serious note, I'm not saying whether such online sympathy is appropriate or not. I just don't understand it. I think it can only be for the online community but I don't know what purpose that serves.

over9five

Staff member
These "R.I.P." threads on BC are simply news for me. Sure, I'll add my own R.I.P., but it's certainly not done for the family or the deceased.
I think I do it out of respect.

ALSO, they all say "R.I.P." in the thread title. If it's not your thing, no-one has forced you to click on it.

moreluck

golden ticket member
It's kind of like....funny :censored2: goes on all the time, but when it comes to death..........settle down & be respectful. Some people only think of themselves. For instance....the train derailment in N.Y. this morning. People died. The Wrong reaction....."oh well,I wasn't going to take that train anyway today." The right reaction would be at least to post R.I.P.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I appreciate people like more who notify me that someone has died.
I generally have never heard of them but I find it interesting although a reminder of my upcoming death.

The title of the thread has RIP in it so if one has a small bit of mental discipline, they can skip over the thread if they don't care for RIP threads.
Or expressed more concisely, "Grow up!"

bbsam pointed out that online condolences are basically a waste of time as the family of the deceased rarely if ever reads them. I have never met Paul Walker so as such am not personally affected by his passing. I coud have written "RIP Paul" but the words would have been without meaning.

My son and I went to a wake this past Wednesday for the father of two of his friends. I had coached them when they played Little League and Babe Ruth baseball and David played slo-pitch softball with him for the past two years. Neither of us were very close to the father so there was not that personal sense of loss due to his passing; in fact, neither of us felt the need to pay our respects at the casket as we simply did not know him. We went there to support Braden and Jordan. Had David not been home for break I would not have gone to the wake but would have left a condolence on the funeral home website for the boys.

He should know what? That it is mandatory to extend online condolences to someone whom you have never met simply because they are famous? What purpose would that serve? Do you really think Paul's family is going to come to Brown Café and feel a bit better about their loss knowing that 20-25 strangers have extended their condolences?

The one area where I disagree with bbsam is if someone within the same industry passes away. While there is certainly no personal connection, there is the connection from having done or currently doing the same job. Even though my condolences will be limited to "RIP Driver". I was taken aback when bbsam appeared to show no remorse upon the death of two Ground employees at the same facility.

Online condolences, like going out of the way to point out whom pictures belong to, are a waste of time yet you continue to be obsessed to waste it.

As said above, if you find no reason to post ,don't

Necropostophiliac

I agree that I read all her post of this nature.

It has nothing to do with my choosing Necro as a satire name for a poster.

I would never know some of the people who passed away, if it was not from her post.

rod

Retired 22 years
As a member of the Patriot Guard I attend many funerals for Veterans, both young and old---mostly old. For the most part I don't know the deceased or their families. The families usually hand out one of those cards that tell a little bit about the deceased and what they did in their life time. Every once in awhile I read about one of them who I had or could have crossed paths with over time. Posting a RIP comment about someone you never met isn't hurting anyone so I can't see why someone would make a big deal about it. I usually check them out to see what that person had done and every once in awhile I will add my own RIP comment if they had in anyway done anything that had influenced me during my lifetime.

Marne Vet

How about whenever another human being passes away? We're all apart of the same industry known as Humanity. I never met Paul Walker, and only know of him because of his movies. Am I personally saddened at his passing? Nope. Can I be compassionate towards another person losing their life and simply say "RIP Paul Walker", or "RIP [Whoever died and I'm made aware of]"? Yes. Is there a reason to explain how detached we are from someones passing though?