Talk me down off the ledge!

71Fish

Not literally, but damn near. First week of driving in the books and I feel dumber than a rock.
I'm certainly never the smartest person in a crowded room, but I'm not the dumbest either, but a car full of cardboard has made me feel like a complete maroon. Area knowledge and sense of direction, sucks. Selecting packages, sucks and slow. If the package isn't exactly where it is supposed to be it feels like it takes an hour to find it. Started out alone today and me supervisor had to come rescue me. The guy who normally does this route usually has 90 stops completed by 1pm. I only had 25. Though there were extenuating circumstances, that is still discouraging.

I was a Master Sergeant in the Air Force and ran high level programs. Now I feel like a maroon who can't even empty a truck on my own.

I'm just venting my frustrations, I know (hope) it will get better. Next week is a new week.

no more than 9

"Livin' the Dream"
Don't worry about it. I felt the same way when I first started, that was 22 years ago. The job gets easier(less difficult) as you continue to work. We all had to bailed out by our sups the first week. Your military experience and training will be advantageous to your success at UPS. You'll be successful , keep us informed on your progress .

Justaname

Not literally, but damn near. First week of driving in the books and I feel dumber than a rock.
I'm certainly never the smartest person in a crowded room, but I'm not the dumbest either, but a car full of cardboard has made me feel like a complete maroon. Area knowledge and sense of direction, sucks. Selecting packages, sucks and slow. If the package isn't exactly where it is supposed to be it feels like it takes an hour to find it. Started out alone today and me supervisor had to come rescue me. The guy who normally does this route usually has 90 stops completed by 1pm. I only had 25. Though there were extenuating circumstances, that is still discouraging.

I was a Master Sergeant in the Air Force and ran high level programs. Now I feel like a maroon who can't even empty a truck on my own.

I'm just venting my frustrations, I know (hope) it will get better. Next week is a new week.
just remember to be safe. Skills will come in time.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
This time of year with all the seasonals going nuts just reinforces Joe Schmo can't do this job efficiently from day one.

71Fish

just remember to be safe. Skills will come in time.

Safety is number uno for sure.

I'm just used to being the "expert" at most things I do, work or play.

If it isn't obvious, I should add that I am an off the street hire, although I did a brief stint as an unloader before joining the Air Force, though that was several years ago.

I feel like my supervisor is sincere when he says he wants to ensure I succeed, so that is encouraging.

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
The only guarantee in this job is that day will end . . . eventually. So let the full truck and sloppy load roll off your back. That's what I do. It gets easier. With time comes skill. You'll get used to the way the preloader thinks and you'll know where to look.

no more than 9

"Livin' the Dream"
I'm with you Shifting Contents, the day always has ending. I think the longer we get edd and pull our routes, our days get shorter. I'm still amazed after 22 years of driving how fast my day goes by.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Stick with it.
At every stop spend a minute or two to let everyone know how everything is.
Build up your daily contacts , because soon you'll have another ride along & they will be impressed if at every stop everyone calls you by name .
Come in early and talk to your preloader , bring him/her a cup of coffee , this is a serious relationship that can improve your day.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Oct 1st started the open hiring season.
If someone started before Oct 1, 2012 then the 30 day rule would apply.
But since the OP just finished their first week , it does not.
To continue to work after Dec 25, 2012 one has to shine.
Follow the book , work smart & as I have already stated make those along your route
be your best new friends.
We had a woman come into the Customer Counter today asking about a driver who had bid off the route , she & her company wanted to send some personal thank you cards to him.
Now that is the kind of customer loyalty you should attempt to build upon.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Oct 1st started the open hiring season.
If someone started before Oct 1, 2012 then the 30 day rule would apply.
But since the OP just finished their first week , it does not.
To continue to work after Dec 25, 2012 one has to shine.
Follow the book , work smart & as I have already stated make those along your route
be your best new friends.
We had a woman come into the Customer Counter today asking about a driver who had bid off the route , she & her company wanted to send some personal thank you cards to him.
Now that is the kind of customer loyalty you should attempt to build upon.

Depends on where you are, your regional or local supplement.
I suspect you're right though.
My advice would be different if he was a seasonal.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
71Fish, it all comes off one stop at a time. Thats how I look at things. You will get better with time, as you get smoother with your methods and gain area knowledge. The two places where you lose the most time is in back of the package car looking for stops and dealing with customers. You need to keep customer contact at a minimal for now, and learn to set up little sections at a time so you don't lose so much time looking for stops.

When you were responsible for helping keep our country safe you had a lot tougher road than the one you are on now. I know as time goes by during your training you will get better. You are already from a pedigree that ont let you do anything but be the best that you can be. Thanks for your service and god bless.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Stick with it.
At every stop spend a minute or two to let everyone know how everything is.
Build up your daily contacts , because soon you'll have another ride along & they will be impressed if at every stop everyone calls you by name .
Come in early and talk to your preloader , bring him/her a cup of coffee , this is a serious relationship that can improve your day.

A minute or 2 at each stop. Ya right. My advice would be say sign here, drop and go. The less customer contact the better.