Talking not allowed while loading?

jrh

I found some info in the archives but I am seeking clarification on this matter. I heard somebody saying company rules allow for a policy of no talking except to communicate about your immediate work. Is that allowed? Luckily my dock isn't like that but the thought of being transferred to a place like that is pretty bleak.

Nimnim

The Nim
Does talking keep you from working at all? If it does then you've got a problem and you can be disciplined for it, not likely to amount to much but you can be disciplined. If you can still work at a fair pace while talking you don't have anything to worry about.

Hell if talking with coworkers about things other than immediate work got me in trouble I'd have a novel of an employee record.

oldngray

nowhere special
Apparently some people's ability to multi task is below the level of walking and chewing gum (or talking while still working ) at the same time.

RealPerson

They try that from time to time in my building. They say if you are talking you are not focusing on Safe work methods. They have even wrote it on my safe work methods observation sheet. So, when they come around to ask me safety questions, I shut the belt off.... HA It goes away for a few years...

browntroll

they tried doing this at my hub a few years back. i got rushed out my building a few times for talking to employees when i was leaving the
building anyway. the only way to put a stop to do this is by completely stopping what u r doing and pay 100% attention to your sup everytime they say something.
everytime they make me sign a paper while im on pickoff i just leave the belt running while i let a whole bunch of stuff go by, take my time signing while
sup gets pissed about it when he can only watch in horror about all the stuff that went by.

clean hairy

Heck, if they want you to sign a paper, be sure to ask the Sup MANY questions, and to clarify everything on the paper. This takes time where even more work goes sailing by!

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
I found some info in the archives but I am seeking clarification on this matter. I heard somebody saying company rules allow for a policy of no talking except to communicate about your immediate work. Is that allowed? Luckily my dock isn't like that but the thought of being transferred to a place like that is pretty bleak.
You ever hear that old saying, don't believe everything you see or hear? Theres your answer to that retardedaszzz question lol. Sorry I had to go there but the thought of not talking at work to your fellow employees is ludicrous.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
its probably people who stop their work to talk to other employees that they are speaking of.

we have guys here in feeder who are putting kids thru college with their talking.

clean hairy

So when you see a box bop your Sup on the head and they ask if you saw it, and if you did, why did you not warn them?
"We were instructed NOT to talk while working!"

AllOnTheHorses

We had a sup that tried to make us shout the names of the truck as we loaded.. as a way to avoid misloads. It only caused a jam of irregs because, with all the yelling, no one got the warning that their irreg was coming up. Plus it was exhausting.. I think I lost my voice even.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
We had a sup that tried to make us shout the names of the truck as we loaded.. as a way to avoid misloads. It only caused a jam of irregs because, with all the yelling, no one got the warning that their irreg was coming up. Plus it was exhausting.. I think I lost my voice even.
I'm sorry but I think that is hysterical. Just look down the belt "RED!" "BLUE!" And someone thinks that will make a difference. I wouldn't have been able to keep a straight face loading while doing that. Hopefully that sup is gone.