tardy and sent home

clean hairy

If you were on time, then were not permitted to work while less Senior employees were allowed to work, you would have a valid issue.
Seriously though? You come strolling in 30 min late and demand to work?
At least you called in and avoided no call/no show.

Mr.Blonde

Only way outs inna box
I am not late. The only time im out is if im really sick and dont wanna get anyone else sick or if im injured. They are just being a jerk. He followed me into the bathroom last week to question me why I didnt go before the preload. I asked if he would wipe my ass since hes here.
Set 2 alarms, 5 minutes apart. 1 on your alarm clock, and 1 on your phone. I do it and I've never

Dude I got six alarms, and i didnt hear my phone. I was comatosed. I appreciate the insight though

Mr.Blonde

Only way outs inna box
If you were on time, then were not permitted to work while less Senior employees were allowed to work, you would have a valid issue.

Why does this seem so supernatural to people? Ive been there over 2 years. Im still learnin the ups system. It sounds stupid to not attempt to work, cause the question at the end of the day is whats the point of even workin?there or anywhere. if you think oh since im late im gunna be a fat lazy slob who complains all day while watching bet and eating fried chicken

Mr.Blonde

Only way outs inna box
I did
Yep....honestly you should've tried calling your sup when you woke up, explained what happened and asked him...if I come in now, will you send me home or work me? One day I was 20 min late because of car issues....I texted my sup and explained and asked that question. Yes, being late is not good, regardless of the reason but I'm not going to drive 30 min to be sent home....I'd rather just take the day at that point.

I did and the mgr told me my spot was covered and I dont want a write up so i showed up that way it shows i do want to work we didnt even get through the first hour.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I did

I did and the mgr told me my spot was covered and I dont want a write up so i showed up that way it shows i do want to work we didnt even get through the first hour.
But if he told you...your spot is covered....the next question I would have asked is, okay so if I come in now...will I be sent home?

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I am not late. The only time im out is if im really sick and dont wanna get anyone else sick or if im injured. They are just being a jerk. He followed me into the bathroom last week to question me why I didnt go before the preload. I asked if he would wipe my ass since hes here.
No...your sup is not being a jerk. If your start time is say 4am... Its 4:15 and you're not there. So your sup has to plan his shift assuming you are not going to be there. Its not like you texted him a half hour before your start time and let him know that hey I'm gonna be a few min late but I will be there.
If you are late, you forfeit your guarantee...it really is that simple. The solution is, don't be late! But don't cry on here about your sup because you didn't get to work the shift. ..it was your own fault.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
I would sometimes show up late to twilight on Friday praying they'd send me home...worked half the time

Funny story.

The "oldest trick in the book" in my hub is to wear white sneakers instead of work shoes to get sent home. We had a guy with maybe a year of seniority on my belt that would intentionally do this once or twice a month in order to get sent home ahead of all of the senior guys.

The third or fourth time he did it, the FT sup told him he had to go home and get his work shoes then report back knowing he had a 45+ minute commute. He came back in around an hour later then sent him back home because he was staffed.

Never happened again.

Mr.Blonde

Only way outs inna box
No...your sup is not being a jerk. If your start time is say 4am... Its 4:15 and you're not there. So your sup has to plan his shift assuming you are not going to be there. Its not like you texted him a half hour before your start time and let him know that hey I'm gonna be a few min late but I will be there.
If you are late, you forfeit your guarantee...it really is that simple. The solution is, don't be late! But don't cry on here about your sup because you didn't get to work the shift. ..it was your own fault.

Could you repeat that, im not as smart as you.

Mr.Blonde

Only way outs inna box
Funny story.

The "oldest trick in the book" in my hub is to wear white sneakers instead of work shoes to get sent home. We had a guy with maybe a year of seniority on my belt that would intentionally do this once or twice a month in order to get sent home ahead of all of the senior guys.

The third or fourth time he did it, the FT sup told him he had to go home and get his work shoes then report back knowing he had a 45+ minute commute. He came back in around an hour later then sent him back home because he was staffed.

Never happened again.

as of now, they dont hassle it unless we are being audited

dudebro

The thing about contractual rights, is you have to consistently enforce them in order for them to be maintained. So, if you want to be guaranteed hours, you have to show up on time ready to work. The flip side of this, is that if you DO show up on time ready to work, management can't lay you off that day without paying guaranteed hours (unless you agree). So this works both ways.

As for looking around and seeing who else is working, I'm not trying to be a jerk, but by deciding to be a Teamster, you decided NOT to take a position running the company. Management runs the company as they see fit, and if you believe they're in violation of the contract, you demand your rights under the contract, or file a grievance.

Showing up anyway is a nice gesture, but in the scheme of things it doesn't mean anything because the manager was clear in telling you your position was filled before you left home.

over9five

Staff member
Just adding, not 100% on this cuz I'm never late.....
But it is my impression that if you CALL before your start time and TELL them you're running late..they still owe you your guarantee.
If you just show up late, they owe you nothing.

Or maybe that's just HERE.

dudebro

Still getting written up for showing up 30 min late.
This too. If you're normally on time and don't have other issues, this sits in a drawer and at some point becomes meaningless. If you're a problem employee, it becomes one more brick in the wall at a future discipline meeting. That choice is yours.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Just adding, not 100% on this cuz I'm never late.....
But it is my impression that if you CALL before your start time and TELL them you're running late..they still owe you your guarantee.
If you just show up late, they owe you nothing.

Or maybe that's just HERE.
If you call me prior to start time and tell me you're running late, I'm going to be a lot more lenient. You gave me the courtesy of a heads up. Especially on preload, I always hated playing that "Are they going to show up?" game.