Tattoo Discrimination

memberoflocal61

Hello. Im 25 yrs. old and have been working for UPS for six years now. I live and work out of NC. I had the chance to finally go full time as a driver and was denied because of my tattoos on my hands. I am part of our local union 61 to protect us supposedly but unfortunately did not succeed. We did our part of due process. Filed grievances, took to international, local hearing and have just got done with the big committee panel today to plead my cases. My cases isn't like every others. Drivers are required to cover tattoos if you have any. Most of the grievances are from people who WANTS to SHOW OFF there tattoos while in uniform. I on the other hand filed my grievances and did due process because from day 1 i have said i would be more then happy to comply with policy and keep them COVERED, showed them pictures of drivers actually showing there tattoos..but they still deny me, and said my local has a different supplement so some can have tattoos apparently and some areas cant. They compared my case to one case that happened in 1992 where a African American wanting to have corn rows but cover it with a hat...hair and tattoos are completely different to me and makes it that much more unfair but that's dookie for ya. This is discrimination because there are plenty of drivers who has tattoos now, gloves are oprional for drivers and if you would watch drivers throughout the day, most of them will be wearing gloves. The only reason the committee has denied me is for two reasons that they think. 1 is that ill have to take my gloves off while on lunch break and that could offend people and 2 is i would have to take gloves off for restroom breaks aka washing hands. This to me is ludicrous because one, i could either eat lunch in the delivery car or just eat with the gloves on and as for the restroom issue, when does someone look and pay attention at another persons hands in a public restroom? They might see something they didn't want to... you usually get in and get out. So far I cant find a lawyer willing to help me out but I am still trying. The committee has said no for the last time and the union says ill have to get my own lawyer for a lawsuit cause they did what they could(which wasn't much) because I had to stand up for myself during the meetings while he was silent. Do ya'll think it would be a good idea to get the news involved so atleast I can keep fighting a little longer. Maybe that could get a lawyers attention who isn't scared of fighting for what's right.. for an equal opportunity

UPSGUY72

You choose to get those tattoo in those places . They ain't so cool now are they... I have one tattoo of and eagle on my right calf no issues at my building...

Go ahead and burn all your bridges...

Last edited by a moderator:

memberoflocal61

No I don't regret any of my tattoos because i'm sure everyone of mine looks better then yours :) I'm guessing you have a tramp stamp to go along with your bird?

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Life is full of choices, getting offensive tattoos on your hand was one I'd classify as a poor one. As for equal opportunity, you have an opportunity to get it removed and go driving. I have tattoos myself but chose to get them in places I wouldn't have issues covering and weren't something I'd be ashamed to show my mother.

Hawfuh Sux

Old Guard Assassin!
Hello. Im 25 yrs. old and have been working for UPS for six years now. I live and work out of NC. I had the chance to finally go full time as a driver and was denied because of my tattoos on my hands. I am part of our local union 61 to protect us supposedly but unfortunately did not succeed. We did our part of due process. Filed grievances, took to international, local hearing and have just got done with the big committee panel today to plead my cases. My cases isn't like every others. Drivers are required to cover tattoos if you have any. Most of the grievances are from people who WANTS to SHOW OFF there tattoos while in uniform. I on the other hand filed my grievances and did due process because from day 1 i have said i would be more then happy to comply with policy and keep them COVERED, showed them pictures of drivers actually showing there tattoos..but they still deny me, and said my local has a different supplement so some can have tattoos apparently and some areas cant. They compared my case to one case that happened in 1992 where a African American wanting to have corn rows but cover it with a hat...hair and tattoos are completely different to me and makes it that much more unfair but that's dookie for ya. This is discrimination because there are plenty of drivers who has tattoos now, gloves are oprional for drivers and if you would watch drivers throughout the day, most of them will be wearing gloves. The only reason the committee has denied me is for two reasons that they think. 1 is that ill have to take my gloves off while on lunch break and that could offend people and 2 is i would have to take gloves off for restroom breaks aka washing hands. This to me is ludicrous because one, i could either eat lunch in the delivery car or just eat with the gloves on and as for the restroom issue, when does someone look and pay attention at another persons hands in a public restroom? They might see something they didn't want to... you usually get in and get out. So far I cant find a lawyer willing to help me out but I am still trying. The committee has said no for the last time and the union says ill have to get my own lawyer for a lawsuit cause they did what they could(which wasn't much) because I had to stand up for myself during the meetings while he was silent. Do ya'll think it would be a good idea to get the news involved so atleast I can keep fighting a little longer. Maybe that could get a lawyers attention who isn't scared of fighting for what's right.. for an equal opportunity

That's North Carolina for you. In Southern California half the drivers are sleeved up and covered up to their necks and back of their heads. You need to get the hell out of such a conservative state. Your local union really does suck. I'd get a lawyer and file a lawsuit against both the local and the company for working in collusion to screw you. Contact you Joint Council the IBT and the media as well.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
. The only reason the committee has denied me is for two reasons that they think. 1 is that ill have to take my gloves off while on lunch break and that could offend people and 2 is i would have to take gloves off for restroom breaks aka washing hands.
I have a peace sign on one and a pocket watch on the other...not too offensive if you ask me
Just going by what you said.

memberoflocal61

No, they never asked but I did say I would use actor makeup and they could have cared less. Now with the 2 reasons they came up with was all they could think of, seriously who pays that much attention to someone washing hands in a public restroom? and why cant I just eat in the package car...that could give our safety people a chance to see if i'm complying or not? they spy on drivers anyways

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I see no problem...its driving, carrying packages and walking..tattoos does not affect a persons ability to be professional or do any of those things

While the actual tattoos have no effect, it is the perception many people, including myself, have of people with tattoos.

I cringe when I see young people tatted up as I know they have severely limited their options later in life.

If I were a business owner I would never hire anyone with visible tattoos to work with the public.

Sent using BrownCafe App

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
I see no problem...its driving, carrying packages and walking..tattoos does not affect a persons ability to be professional or do any of those things

I could be wrong (and it's not hard on the interwebz), but I detect a little bit of attitude.

Maybe you p*ssed somebody off along the way?