Tattoo Policy

B

brownandoutinillinios

on the earings i think it is studs only......no hoops...to each his own but, when i started shoes were to be a polishable shoe,hair was to be above the collar(unless tucked under a hat) and clean shaven every day.......what happened to that policy!!!!!! TATTOOS i have one on my calf (had it for 12 years) THEN THEY SAID COVER IT UP !!!!! i said sure when you get everyone to follow the policies......the things the rookies get away with now a days !!!!!!!

xkingx

According to the guidlines sign in the bathroom of our centre, I believe the rule is one stud per ear only for women, and men are not allowed earrings.

same in my center

in my 18 years of working only once was I told 2 cover my tats. I recently got another and if told to cover it I will order the knee high socks for the summer time.

Cementups

Box Monkey
on the earings i think it is studs only......no hoops...to each his own but, when i started shoes were to be a polishable shoe,hair was to be above the collar(unless tucked under a hat) and clean shaven every day.......what happened to that policy!!!!!! TATTOOS i have one on my calf (had it for 12 years) THEN THEY SAID COVER IT UP !!!!! i said sure when you get everyone to follow the policies......the things the rookies get away with now a days !!!!!!!

we had a male driver a while back that had hair down to his shoulder blades. he had it tucked in his hat for years. One day some sups somewhere saw him and reported him and they told him he had to get it cut above the collar. He argued it since he had it hidden all that time and no one was the wiser. Even the other drivers had no idea how long his hair really was. eventually, displeased, he ended up quiting over the whole thing. He tried to get his job back and tehy said no since he signed the papers to resign. They had been trying to get him fired for a long time and this was how they ended up getting him. Broke him down.

helenofcalifornia

Knee high socks??? You have got to be kidding! I didn't know anybody wore those. How about wearing foundation makeup over it that would wear off after about one hour. I just don't get what the big deal is about tattoos.

looper804

Is it time to go home yet
Knee high socks??? You have got to be kidding! I didn't know anybody wore those. How about wearing foundation makeup over it that would wear off after about one hour. I just don't get what the big deal is about tattoos.
Or what's the big deal about a guy wearing an earring?

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Or what's the big deal about a guy wearing an earring?

Looper, I don't care if men wear earrings, I don't care about the tats being visible, I don't care about men having beards.... I personally feel that some of UPS's policies are archaic. Come on its 2008 lets update some of these out of date policies. The world we live in today is far more lenient than it was 100 years ago. Many corp. are rrelaxing their dress/appearance codes.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Now to finish what I started to say.......what I do care about is this. If the dress code is going to be enforced then it needs to be enforced as written, across the board, same for everyone. Not just for this one or that one. EQUALLY FOR EVERYONE

Mike Hawk

I have long hair that would need to be cut or covered if I was to be a driver, but at the same time I understand why UPS has these guidelines. People trust UPS with their valuables to ship, and if the service providers look unprofessional or untrustworthy then they may not ship with us.

looper804

Is it time to go home yet
Looper, I don't care if men wear earrings, I don't care about the tats being visible, I don't care about men having beards.... I personally feel that some of UPS's policies are archaic. Come on its 2008 lets update some of these out of date policies. The world we live in today is far more lenient than it was 100 years ago. Many corp. are rrelaxing their dress/appearance codes.
I have worn a stud earring for 20 years.It's never bothered anybody. I definetly agree with the appearance issue overall.WE are the best and should look as such.

helenofcalifornia

I hate to say it (since I am a child of the 60's) but, I think UPS' policy on long hair and beards is OK. I have seen some pretty ratty looking men driving for Fedex, DHL and USPS. UPS men and women look business-like and non-threatening.

959Nanook

I believe it is in the interest of UPS to maintain conservative grooming standards.

As a temporary hire at UPS, I had full beard (trimmed) and large captive bead rings in my ears (large enough holes to easily pass a pen or pencil through my ear). My customers, UPS coworkers, and management never expressed or hinted at an issue; however, the driver that I helped informed me that I would have to shave and lose the earrings during work hours if I was interested in getting hired back in a permanent position.

Beards are fairly prevalent in Alaska and generally are worn longer the further an individual lives from a city of any significant size much like anywhere else in the country. I have always been amazed by the apparent lack of grooming standards at the USPS as they have some male postal workers with poorly kept beards and/or obnoxious hair cuts.

From my perspective, I viewed UPS as a company with conservative attire and grooming standards and I believe it serves the company well. While I would personally like for UPS to loosen the conservative nature of grooming standards, I also understand that it is much easier in the long run to define easily interpreted restrictive policies. How do you make the judgment call of when a beard is "too long" or not trimmed well enough? The even harder question of when a goatee is "too trendy"?

I have a sleeve tattooed on one of my arms and one of my lower legs is also fully tattooed. We have drivers (male and female) with tattoos on their forearms or calves and the tattooed drivers are generally younger individuals. My center manager has not told me that I have to cover my arm when I wear short sleeve uniform shirts. I wear uniform items that cover my tattoos when his superiors are in town so as to avoid the conflict for both of us.

It seems fairly simple for me since the company provides my uniform that they can determine how that uniform is to be worn (perhaps my military background is strongly influencing my perspective). Tattoos are a difficult nut to crack. The military is currently experiencing a shift in policy that is opposite of society trends after influencing the current trend in society for so many decades. How do you determine if a tattoo is "inappropriate" or "too trendy"? If told that I have to keep my tattoos covered, then I will simply request a supplement to my uniform issue to approximately compensate for the half of my uniform items that I'm not authorized to wear and work as directed.

The-UK-Guy

Tea anyone ?
As center managers come and go I switch from long to short sleeve shirts. I used to think that by refusing to cover them I was standing up against discrimination in the workplace or something of that nature but to be honest all its ever brought me is trouble , worry and hardships. Its just not worth my effort to go against the flow, my jobs hard enough as it. I know sooner or later i will get a sup. that (a) doesnt give a dam (b) doesnt like them but judges me on my performance (c) doesnt know the policy reg tattoos (d) never sees me because I dont go to pcm`s.
I have never been shown in writing where it says I can or can not have tattoos.
There is nothing in the contract (I dont know about the new one) reg tattoos.
I dont regret getting sleeved up , unfortuantly you will always run into some ignorant people ,such is life

I can honestly say though that It gives me incentive to perform my job better than the next person because I stand out a little more than your average joe, example ,a call saying " one of your drivers cut me off, he had tattoos all up his neck ". usualy ends up with me and 2 other guys in the center managers office.
I also realise that some people are scared, dislike or just not used to seeing a walking work of art delivering medicine to their doctors office , so I go out of my way to be freindly towards people. In all honesty I get a little nervy around people that are all tagged and sleeved up, saying that though I also get nervy around cops. (lol)
In a perfect world no one would be judged on the color of their skin black, white, brown or blue green and yellow with a spot of purple but until then dress accordingly.

This article titled "Body art in the workplace" confirms that companies have a constitutional right to ban employees with tattoos:
Companies can limit employees' personal expression on the job as long as they do not impinge on their civil liberties. According to the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), employers are allowed to impose dress codes and appearance policies as long as they do not discriminate or hinder a person's race, color, religion, age, national origin, or gender.
There is a strong legal basis for discriminating against the tattooed, especially if the employers fears that having tattooed employees might hurt their professional image
at the end of the day we are truck drivers right

RockdaleEddie

Optimized
I dont get it...My Manager told me today after he noticed my new one on my left hand and halfway up my forearm that customers might be offended because that put tattoos and bikers together and that bikers are dirt bags and scary. Does that mean that some might find blacks scary? Does that mean that mexicans are scary? I say fight the machine! how the hell did I know about the machine?