tattoos and earrings

Cobra Agent

Mandalorian
All branches of the military have policies on tattoos they can be visible in a t shirt or on the legs or a woman in stockings. I know I tried to enlist in the Marines, Airforce, and Army and was refused in all three. However there was a guy with only one testicle allowed to enlist in the marines and I was refused because of a tattoo. However I can be a ups package car driver! Hoooraaahhh

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Downsizedupser was Jewis, I dont know what happened to her.

You mean, Jewess.

All branches of the military have policies on tattoos they can be visible in a t shirt or on the legs or a woman in stockings. I know I tried to enlist in the Marines, Airforce, and Army and was refused in all three. However there was a guy with only one testicle allowed to enlist in the marines and I was refused because of a tattoo. However I can be a ups package car driver! Hoooraaahhh

So what would you rather have???:wink2:

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
trplnkl : I don't know how to pull the quote correctly so I'll just answer. No, I am not the Jewish guy but I did grow up in a mixed neighborhood with many assimilated jews so I am somewhat familiar with some of the customs. As for your comment of having a tatoo of .... TATOO. I think that that person would get fired for lack of judgement and/or bad taste.
Pickup, just click on the 'quote' bar and type away. :wink2:

See it, right below my smilie.

bubsdad

"Hang in there!"
Funny that this would come up. I don't believe there is an "official brown policy" on tattoos. This was an issue in the summer of '07 at our hub. A manager from LIVMI came to our hub and tried to implement the policy that they had there, (no visible tattoos). That lasted about 1 week as we have driver with 20+ years with tattoos on their forearms and upper arms that are visible when they wear short sleeve shirts. Our hub mgmt has never had a probloblem with it but bring in a mgr from 50 miles north and it's a different story. Long story short, I believe it depends on the people making the rules in your hub. I have tattooed arms and was hired wearing a short sleeve shirt and nothing was ever mentioned about it until the wicked witch from the north came blowing in!

IMO, if any UPS manager is going to enforce any kind of tattoo policy, it should be done company wide for new hires and existing employees tats (no new tats) grandfathered in. Be consistent with the application across the board.
As far as being or not being in the contract, tats might be covered unlisted in the appearance article.
earrings are a different story, those can be and sometimes are unsafe to wear on the job.

P

pickup

Pickup, just click on the 'quote' bar and type away. :wink2:

See it, right below my smilie.

ha, ha. the problem was he took my posting and replied within in a different color. I thought that by quoting it, his colors would have disappeared and it would have looked like a very strange conversation with me seemingly quoting myself. Capische?:happy2:

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
ha, ha. the problem was he took my posting and replied within in a different color. I thought that by quoting it, his colors would have disappeared and it would have looked like a very strange conversation with me seemingly quoting myself. Capische?:happy2:
LOL I see what you mean now. Ya that does happen a bit. :happy-very:

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
IMO, if any UPS manager is going to enforce any kind of tattoo policy, it should be done company wide for new hires and existing employees tats (no new tats) grandfathered in. Be consistent with the application across the board.
As far as being or not being in the contract, tats might be covered unlisted in the appearance article.
earrings are a different story, those can be and sometimes are unsafe to wear on the job.

IIRC, that's exactly how the beard (facial hair) policy was handled with the Overnite & Motor Cargo drivers.

IIRC, that's exactly how the beard (facial hair) policy was handled with the Overnite & Motor Cargo drivers.
Oh Really? Now if UPS would let me grow a beard in the winter, I would gladly keep all my exposed body art covered up or laser 'em off.

I have both earrings and Tattoo's and have been an air driver for 4 years. When attempting to go full time, our division manager approached me , looked at me for a moment(I have several visible tats, arms and neck) and said, Yep, i don't think I am going to let you drive full time. As I am a steward, I simply called my BA who called the Division manager and the matter was resolved. But the real issue was that the Division manager was trying to modify UPS appearance policy without direction or input from the Union. My appearance was OK to deliver Airs for 4 years but not OK to deliver to "REAL" customers. And I have never been questioned on the earring as that policy I believe is pretty clear. One earring only that does not dangle.

Interesting thread
Alternate Steward Local 25

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I have both earrings and Tattoo's and have been an air driver for 4 years. When attempting to go full time, our division manager approached me , looked at me for a moment(I have several visible tats, arms and neck) and said, Yep, i don't think I am going to let you drive full time. As I am a steward, I simply called my BA who called the Division manager and the matter was resolved. But the real issue was that the Division manager was trying to modify UPS appearance policy without direction or input from the Union. My appearance was OK to deliver Airs for 4 years but not OK to deliver to "REAL" customers. And I have never been questioned on the earring as that policy I believe is pretty clear. One earring only that does not dangle.

Interesting thread

And an interesting post. Thanks for the info.

tonyexpress

Whac-A-Troll Patrol
Staff member

Interesting thread
Alt_steward_norwood25,

Welcome to the Brown Cafe!

Interesting first post!

Good luck with going full-time driving and may your earrings not dangle!!:wink2: