Tattoos

UPS Lifer

Random drug testing, absolutely I consider that a violation of privacy. If you have legitimate reasons to suspect that someone is using on the job that's a different story.
Driving record is different, that's a regulated privilege granted by the state and obviously if you are going to be driving a company vehicle for a living then your employer has a right to know if you're a problem driver.
Until I see some corroboration I have a hard time believing the OP about filling out a tattoo form, that seems awfully excessive. If the company can't see it, they don't need to know about it.

As for tattoos....
I say if it can not be seen it is nobody's business! I would go so far as to say that if you always wore long sleeve shirts and had tattooed arms.... It is nobody's business.

I can't believe that the company would subscribe to something like this. Filling out some sort of Tattoo declaration (!?!) has to be violating employee rights of privacy! This has got to be BS!

As for drug testing....

Can't say I agree that it is a privacy issue. It is an employee and public safety issue. If you operate (or have the potential to operate any machinery) This trumps the privacy issue.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Random drug testing, absolutely I consider that a violation of privacy. If you have legitimate reasons to suspect that someone is using on the job that's a different story.
Driving record is different, that's a regulated privilege granted by the state and obviously if you are going to be driving a company vehicle for a living then your employer has a right to know if you're a problem driver.
Until I see some corroboration I have a hard time believing the OP about filling out a tattoo form, that seems awfully excessive. If the company can't see it, they don't need to know about it.

The problem is, it is very unprofessional appearancde to have tattoos visible, whether you "like" tattoos or not. Drivers and any service provider hide them in the building then when they are on route uncover them. Legs, neck, arms all can be hidden away in bldg until on road.

I do not see it as an invasion of privacy to have tattoos on any parts of arm, leg, neck etc documented and also do not see it as unfair to make restrictions based on them.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I say if it can not be seen it is nobody's business! I would go so far as to say that if you always wore long sleeve shirts and had tattooed arms.... It is nobody's business.

I can't believe that the company would subscribe to something like this. Filling out some sort of Tattoo declaration (!?!) has to be violating employee rights of privacy! This has got to be BS!

Not sure I agree here. Interesting debate, it could be.

Let's say a company were hiring auto salesman. Ford for example. One guy comes in with tattoos all over his neck, arms, hands - interviewing to be a SALESMAN. and they are visible. Is it discrimination for Ford not to hire this person due to their tattoos being unprofessional looking and placed in areas that are clearly visible?

Would it be discrimination for UPS not to allow a part-time employee who has visible tats on their hands, arms, neck to qualify for 30 days driving because they look unprofessional?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Let's say a company were hiring auto salesman. Ford for example. One guy comes in with tattoos all over his neck, arms, hands - interviewing to be a SALESMAN. and they are visible. Is it discrimination for Ford not to hire this person due to their tattoos being unprofessional looking and placed in areas that are clearly visible?

It is not discrimination if it violates their appearance standards which are in writing and presented to the applicant prior to applying.

Would it be discrimination for UPS not to allow a part-time employee who has visible tats on their hands, arms, neck to qualify for 30 days driving because they look unprofessional?

See above.

First impressions are lasting and the individual applying to sell cars could be the best sales man to ever walk through their doors but there will always be those potential customers (myself included) who would form an impression based upon his ink and either ask for another salesman or buy a car somewhere else.

As for the UPS driver, tattoos have absolutely no correlation to ability but it goes back to first impressions and "professionalism". If I were a business owner I would be hesitant to accept deliveries in the front if the driver looked like he rode with the Hells Angels on the weekends and would ask that he bring all deliveries to the rear door or may request a different driver. That's just me and I am being as honest as I can be.

UPS Lifer

The problem is, it is very unprofessional appearancde to have tattoos visible, whether you "like" tattoos or not. Drivers and any service provider hide them in the building then when they are on route uncover them. Legs, neck, arms all can be hidden away in bldg until on road.

I do not see it as an invasion of privacy to have tattoos on any parts of arm, leg, neck etc documented and also do not see it as unfair to make restrictions based on them.

The issue that a driver could uncover the tattoos on route is no different than taking your hat off and letting long hair down on route.

A supervisor has to see it out on area for discipline to happen.

UnconTROLLed

perfection

It is not discrimination if it violates their appearance standards which are in writing and presented to the applicant prior to applying.

See above.

First impressions are lasting and the individual applying to sell cars could be the best sales man to ever walk through their doors but there will always be those potential customers (myself included) who would form an impression based upon his ink and either ask for another salesman or buy a car somewhere else.

As for the UPS driver, tattoos have absolutely no correlation to ability but it goes back to first impressions and "professionalism". If I were a business owner I would be hesitant to accept deliveries in the front if the driver looked like he rode with the Hells Angels on the weekends and would ask that he bring all deliveries to the rear door or may request a different driver. That's just me and I am being as honest as I can be.

I agree. The only problem is, tattoos can come AFTER being hired, or makign 30 days, or whatever the case may be ; therefore by-passing the initial evaluation for the job.

Hangingon

The issue a few of the female drivers had were the non visible ones. We were dying to see what she would write after she asked that,:blushing2: but the center manager just kind of let the matter die down and didn't bring it back up.
If a man has a particular part of his anatomy tattooed (ouch) would he have to declare that? I'm assuming as long as our uniforms stay together customers would never see it.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
The issue a few of the female drivers had were the non visible ones. We were dying to see what she would write after she asked that,:blushing2: but the center manager just kind of let the matter die down and didn't bring it back up.
If a man has a particular part of his anatomy tattooed (ouch) would he have to declare that? I'm assuming as long as our uniforms stay together customers would never see it.
My only question here is, why? Sorry, but I love my body, as is. I've gotten fat, skinny and everything in between, and am comfortable with who I am, exactly as I am. I just don't get why people are so apt to want to change their appearance, that they resort to permanently, changing the way they look.

I'm not saying that everyone who gets a tattoo is evil, in a gang or even psychotic. I'm just saying, why? Maybe this should be included in this thread, or a new one started. Why are some people so into this form of expression, body art, tattooing, body mutilation? Take it easy on me, as I'm just an un-tattoed internet poster, asking a simple question.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
My only question here is, why? Sorry, but I love my body, as is. I've gotten fat, skinny and everything in between, and am comfortable with who I am, exactly as I am. I just don't get why people are so apt to want to change their appearance.

Same way I feel about clothes.

Livin the Dream?

Disillusioned UPSer
Would they tattoo "maroon" on you when they label you??:wink2:

I think that, if you became a driver knowing the guidelines, then permanently did something that was clearly a violation of company policy (a visible tatoo) to have that tatoo say "maroon" would be redundant.

I do believe that anyone asking about tatoos that were not visible is WAY over the line.

City Driver

the company also has a right to know if you are a pothead or not

JonFrum

After you fill out the tattoo form, you are required to strip so they can photograph each tattoo. This photographic documentation is available for the management team to view in your Pittsburg.
Example:
tattoo.jpg

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
My only question here is, why? Sorry, but I love my body, as is. I've gotten fat, skinny and everything in between, and am comfortable with who I am, exactly as I am. I just don't get why people are so apt to want to change their appearance, that they resort to permanently, changing the way they look.

I'm not saying that everyone who gets a tattoo is evil, in a gang or even psychotic. I'm just saying, why? Maybe this should be included in this thread, or a new one started. Why are some people so into this form of expression, body art, tattooing, body mutilation? Take it easy on me, as I'm just an un-tattoed internet poster, asking a simple question.
because in the big scheme of things,,,your opinion really means nothing... its a slippery slope you are preaching on your soapbox from

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
because in the big scheme of things,,,your opinion really means nothing... its a slippery slope you are preaching on your soapbox from
Nobody is preaching. I was just asking, what is the big deal and why are so many people getting tattoo's? Sorry if I "got under your skin", pun intended. I'm not judging you, as that is up to the one that made you, who, I believe, was content with what He had created. No soapbox, just a man that doesn't understand the attraction.

Now mind you, I'm not looking for an internet fist fight, or a verbal sparring, if you will. I just asked a question, and am awaiting an honest answer.

fethrs

Hellfire the member you slammed is only asking a question, and stating some personal facts. Why the animosity?

Livin the Dream?

Disillusioned UPSer
Nobody is preaching. I was just asking, what is the big deal and why are so many people getting tattoo's? Sorry if I "got under your skin", pun intended. I'm not judging you, as that is up to the one that made you, who, I believe, was content with what He had created. No soapbox, just a man that doesn't understand the attraction.

Now mind you, I'm not looking for an internet fist fight, or a verbal sparring, if you will. I just asked a question, and am awaiting an honest answer.

It is the same (by degrees) as hairstyle, piercings, fingernails, jewelry - it is a personal choice on how one wants to present oneself.

UPS does have the right to dictate the above when it is visible when they control the image presented to the public.

A tattoo can be anywhere from simple decoration to a statement, personal or public. Someone may have a name tattoo of a lost loved one, to show the world that this person has not been forgotten.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

That's weird because, with all of your different screen names and personas, the fact that you are a ***** has remained the only constant.

Last edited by a moderator: