Tax Filing Question..

EasyTrucker

When you wear shorts, gotta wear their socks. It is part of the uniform.

It is not required that you wear shorts, which is why UPS doesn't provide socks. Therefor socks are not part of the required uniform and not tax deductible.

Sent using BrownCafe App

rod

Retired 22 years
You can deduct anything you want to but you will have some splainin to do Lucy if you get audited--- and they don't have a sense of humor at the IRS.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Union dues? Really I never realized we could deduct dues. Learn something every day.
Union dues, united way, shoes for work, part of your cell phone bill, socks for work, cleaning materials for work clothes. I deduct all of these every year on my taxes. HR Block does my taxes every year.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

My brother is a cop. He said razors, shaving cream, electric razors can all be written off if your job has facial hair requirements.
I have not verified this for myself, but it may be something to look into.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Those are all a stretch, would be hard to justify if and when you are audited and would have a negligible effect on your refund.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Union dues, united way, shoes for work, part of your cell phone bill, socks for work, cleaning materials for work clothes. I deduct all of these every year on my taxes. HR Block does my taxes every year.

United Way would fall under charitable contributions which is a topic for a different thread.

I use the H&R Block tax software----there is no need for the majority of us to pay to have our taxes done.

Dweezel

Boots, under armour, dog biscuits, union dues, tshirts, cell phone as long as over 50% of its usage is work related, jawbone big jambox because it's a hands free phone device and it also plays music :), all medical and dental copays, as well as any lawyer fees from liberty mutual denying injury claims. 20 years never been audited.

Sent using BrownCafe App

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Boots, under armour, dog biscuits, union dues, tshirts, cell phone as long as over 50% of its usage is work related, jawbone big jambox because it's a hands free phone device and it also plays music :), all medical and dental copays, as well as any lawyer fees from liberty mutual denying injury claims. 20 years never been audited.

Sent using BrownCafe App

The medical and dental co-pays are a wash except for the amount that exceeds 2% of your AGI.

Dog biscuits? Boom box? Legal fees?

You are an audit waiting to happen.

rod

Retired 22 years

Sent using BrownCafe App

You're toast if you ever do get called in. Dog biscuits- jambox ---really? I would suggest you don't brag about it because there is a 10% reward for reporting tax cheats.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny

Thanks guys will definitely put in the 1000 dollars of dues. Only buy boots once every 3 years. I make my manager beg.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
Maybe. Will look into it. I only have boots and dues. Otherwise I just have what ups provides. I use short socks. They think I don't wear any. When spring finally arrives this year. I buy nothing extra for work.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Maybe. Will look into it. I only have boots and dues. Otherwise I just have what ups provides. I use short socks. They think I don't wear any. When spring finally arrives this year. I buy nothing extra for work.

If you use tax software it is very easy to amend prior year returns to see if it is indeed worth it or not. The dues alone could net you a couple hundred or more per year.