Tax Filing Question..

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The vast majority of hourly UPSers can complete their tax returns using any of the commercially-available tax software programs; in addition, most of the PTers can use the free online versions. Do not waste money going to a tax pro or any of the tax prep services, which cost more than they are worth.

Sent using BrownCafe App

HBGPreloader

The vast majority of hourly UPSers can complete their tax returns using any of the commercially-available tax software programs; in addition, most of the PTers can use the free online versions. Do not waste money going to a tax pro or any of the tax prep services, which cost more than they are worth.

Sent using BrownCafe App
Although tax software is good for many, my CPA significantly reduced my liability the first year I used him, saving me quite a few more dollars than the tax software did.
That was ~10 years ago and that one-time savings alone was significant enough to still pay his $180 fee today. And, that cost includes filing my business related taxes now.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

Sent using BrownCafe App
Just read an article yesterday about job that have a high probability of being replaced by technology in the future. Account was one of them. Of course so was delivery driver.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The ironic part is that our population continues to increase yet our technological advances continue to reduce the number of available jobs.

Sent using BrownCafe App

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Do not waste money going to a tax pro or any of the tax prep services, which cost more than they are worth.

The first year my wife and I were married, we went to H&R block and payed over $200 to have our taxes done. We both live in a state other than where we work, and H&R charges you PER copy per form that they use for your return.

After that, we went to a small local accountant who charges us $80 to file everything, and we swear by her. We've had a return of 4k every year, so we will continue to go there as long as she's in business

You laugh but it's scary how many jobs could be replaced by computers over the next 40-75 years. The next article in the series was going to be about how the rate at which technology is replacing jobs is steadily increasing.
You are correct. It wasnt so long ago, we had 10s of thousands of telephone operators. (Very well paying jobs)...now its all done by computer. the ice block man was replaced, by the refrigerator......the vcr repair guy...was out sourced by...its cheaper to buy new, than fix it!...... Blockbuster was replaced by netflix. except for New Jersey....Gas station attendtants were replaced with, self serve. Bank tellers were replaced by, ATMs. no its not far fetched....More people on this planet...less jobs...and even less jobs, that pay a living wage!

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
And with all these ATM, Netflix, refrigerator, ect, new jobs are created. Don't think that just because one door closes, another doesn't open.

Kae3106

I think this has already been clarified but the retro will be reported and taxed in the year it is paid. You will not receive a 2013 W-2C for the retro amount.

It's all driven by the check date, not the earned date. (constructive receipt...when were the funds made available to you) That's why the last week of December work which is paid in January is considered wages for the new year.

Kae3106

Kae, do you think there will be notice given so that we can adjust our W-4's to soften the tax hit?

Sent using BrownCafe App

I've been trying to find out how they are planning to calculate the taxes on this. I should have a better answer in a couple of weeks

A special program has been created to track and calculate the retro. I can't imagine they would just dump that onto a current week paycheck and allow the taxes to over calculate. However, if they tell them system "this is 35 weeks' worth of earnings" it will under calculate.

I think we should have some notice of when it is coming. At the very least, everyone will know when the last contracts pass. If it does catch us all by surprise, you could always adjust your W-4 for the weeks following the retro to offset it.

I'll do my best to keep you all posted.

upschuck

Thanks for your concern but the question was for Kae, not you.
Like you never butt into others questions. Besides, it was an observation, not an answer to your question. Since I have been accused of answering your question, shortly after the last supplement/rider gets approved. You will probably not get any other notice since you would be about the only person that would go to that much trouble to save a dollar interest.