TAXES!!!!

upsgrunt

You can also deduct the cost to launder your uniforms and the percentage of your cell phone bill that is used for work purposes.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I deduct $10/week for uniform maintenance. I deduct union dues, socks, sneakers/boots. Works out to about $1900 under nonreimbursed work expenses.

If you contribute to United Way that would go under Charitable Deductions.

When it comes to itemizing your deductions for unreimbursed work expenses, you have to fill out the long form 1040 and itemize, it only benefits you if your total amount exceeds 2% of your Adjusted Gross Income. With the money we make, it's not worth the hassle for this deduction. Unless you have a considerably large expense, you just won't get much out of this deduction.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

When it comes to itemizing your deductions for unreimbursed work expenses, you have to fill out the long form 1040 and itemize, it only benefits you if your total amount exceeds 2% of your Adjusted Gross Income. With the money we make, it's not worth the hassle for this deduction. Unless you have a considerably large expense, you just won't get much out of this deduction.

You are right if these are the only deductions that you have but most of us have mortgage interest, pay property taxes, give money to charities, have unreimbursed medical expenses, may have made a large purchase which would qualify for the sales tax deduction, may be paying college tuition or may have student loan interest, etc., when combined does make it worthwhile to itemize. My itemized deductions were around $14K so it was to my benefit to take the itemized deduction over the standard deduction.

That is the beauty behind the tax software--it guides you through an interview process to see which option would be best for your tax situation and to see if you have enough deductions to itemize or if the standard would be better for you--and it doesn't take that long.

Big Babooba

$175 a week for alimony - is that a considerably large expense? At least it's deductible.

$175 a week for alimony - is that a considerably large expense? At least it's deductible.
Add that 10 grand a year to the other items mentioned by UpState and you probably could come out on the long end of itemizing. I've never had enough expenses to do that.
In Texas we don't have alimony.

brett636

I've been doing taxes professionally for the past 6 years, so I figured I would throw in my 2 cents on this matter.

Expenses you can deduct subject to a 2% AGI threshold: union dues, ups socks, uniform cleaning, work boots/shoes, tax preparation expenses(cost of professional preparation or preparation software)

United way will fall under charitable contributions and therefore do not fall under the 2% AGI threshold mentioned above.

Just to hit on a few other points mentioned on this thread. Alimony has its own deduction and you have to submit who you are paying it too so that the IRS knows who is receiving it because they have to claim it on their tax return as well(this does not include child support as its not claimable as income nor deductible as an expense). The alimony deduction is actually deducted on line 31A of the 1040, and is not tabulated on the Schedule A for itemizing. The 401k is already deducted from your W2 income in box one and is accounted for in Box 12A using code D and the amount is right next to it.

I've been doing taxes professionally for the past 6 years, so I figured I would throw in my 2 cents on this matter.

Expenses you can deduct subject to a 2% AGI threshold: union dues, ups socks, uniform cleaning, work boots/shoes, tax preparation expenses(cost of professional preparation or preparation software)

United way will fall under charitable contributions and therefore do not fall under the 2% AGI threshold mentioned above.

Just to hit on a few other points mentioned on this thread. Alimony has its own deduction and you have to submit who you are paying it too so that the IRS knows who is receiving it because they have to claim it on their tax return as well(this does not include child support as its not claimable as income nor deductible as an expense). The alimony deduction is actually deducted on line 31A of the 1040, and is not tabulated on the Schedule A for itemizing. The 401k is already deducted from your W2 income in box one and is accounted for in Box 12A using code D and the amount is right next to it.

How about tee shirts, long underwear, gloves, flashlight? (some drivers keep flashlights in their car)