Taxes

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Excellent advice. I would also advise adjusting your W-4 whenever you change your 401k contribution rate. I recently raised mine to 25% and increased the number of dependents on my W-4 to 9. This will keep my take home pay fairly close to what it was before and the 401k deduction will offset the lower withheld taxes.

I can't say I understand this stratagy.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Excellent advice. I would also advise adjusting your W-4 whenever you change your 401k contribution rate. I recently raised mine to 25% and increased the number of dependents on my W-4 to 9. This will keep my take home pay fairly close to what it was before and the 401k deduction will offset the lower withheld taxes.

I prefer the Roth option. I was so happy when they offered that I can make millions and won't ever be taxed!!!!

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I see no need to adjust withholding when increasing contributions. The withholding adjusts itself to the amount of taxable income.

Old International

Now driving a Sterling
Boots, gloves, washing of uniforms, batteries, flashlights- I mange to claim 500-750 dollars a year in "stuff" that I use in the performence of my job.

package

Has anyone ever gotten audited by the IRS for deducting UPS socks, boots, or gloves? It seems to me that these items are not allowed after reading the IRS publication on miscellaneous deductions. According to publication 529 in order to deduct work uniforms "you must wear them as a condition of your employment, and the clothes are not suitable for everyday wear." UPS socks are not a condition of employment, and gloves and boots can be used in other places outside of the workplace.

If the IRS doesn't care about these deductions, that is great for the drivers

"you must wear them as a condition of your employment, and the clothes are not suitable for everyday wear." UPS socks are not a condition of employment, and gloves and boots can be used in other places outside of the workplace.

Do you wear shorts? Have to have socks to wear them. Gloves and boots? Sitting in my locker as we speak waiting for inclement weather and not accessible to me at any other time.