Taylorism. Part Deux

vantexan

The mgr who forced me to accept less than the guarantee was eventually told to take the mgrs buyout or get fired because of a collective number of things he did. When I asked to be reimbursed for all those weeks that I didn't get 35 hrs in 5 days, I was told no because I volunteered for Saturdays and that could count towards my minimum 35 hrs. The 2 weeks that I didn't work Saturday I did get reimbursed for a few hrs. Never explained why I didn't get the guaranteed pay on those two weeks when they happened. So no, didn't correct things for me, made me feel like I was trying to pull something.

Next location was where they put pkgs in mail and tried with threats to force me to go along with it. I went to the company about previous mgr shortly after arriving there and was not about to go through that experience again. Was there 16 months, had timecards falsified by my mgr to show me just over 35 hrs. With the low pay it was very difficult getting by. Several years later I posted my experience there on FedExaminer after that Sr Mgr denied me a transfer that I was number one for in a station he was new Senior for. Yeah, he got demoted, but that rt that they put pkgs in mail was the best area, best rt I ever had and not only should have been able to keep it but should have easily gotten 43 to 47 hrs a week doing it. Cost me $1700 to move 2/3rds of way across country to get there too.

To keep me from filing GFT, senior there offered to let me out of my commitment and transfer. Mgr at next location, also a domicile, lied to me to get me to take a horrendous rt that he was desperate to cover. There about 20 months before i got transfer. He was fired for trying to make couriers in another location falsify their timecards to make his numbers better. Didn't help me any.

The place where I ran two rts I often drove in off the clock to keep day to 12 hrs and 55 a week. Originally other couriers were required to take some stops off of me to help but they pitched such a fit, were happy with 40 hrs, were so nasty about it that mgr let me cover it all. Believe me that was better than dealing with three super angry couriers every day. But I humped like crazy for 5 months, figured I'd get a good review, mgr even said if I did that part-time extended rt lates would not affect me at all. Said when gave me the 5.9 "Remember I said I'd take care of you on those lates. How's a 6.1 sound?" Total lie and not what I expected for everything I did for him. Transferred shortly after, boo hoo.

Am at current station because mgr told me that I'd start at 0600 on Mondays, 0730 rest of the week, off most days by 1730. First day here told will start at 1000, work reload every night. Had me unload containers every day too, super heavy rt, didn't take lunch until 1700 most days. GFTed it, no correction there. Told same thing to another courier who came in same day as me too. Talk about an angry man! He managed to get a waivered ramp driver position eventually. The only thing that saved me was ROADS restructuring and had to fight to get current rt which is much better but only available because it's Tues-Saturday.

But apparently I'm supposed to sing zippedy-doo-dah and walk around with a happy face after all this. It's really my fault after all, no problem with the corporate culture here! You can be critical of me all you want but you haven't changed the situation for mid-range employees.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
What about a member of a team, is there a difference?

Sure there is. A "team member" shares in the profits and rewards. A robot just performs work. You might not know this, but Express used to have profit-sharing until Fred decided he could put in his pocket instead and call it "increased profit".

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Yes, but what if every day at the end of your rt you loaded 100 to 200 50lb boxes, 100 to 600 1 lb boxes, and 30 or so international mps boxes into a stepvan(often in 105 degree humid heat, sometimes hotter), drove 60 miles, offloaded into another truck, took lunch at 2015, drove back 60 miles, off around 2215 to 2230(started at 1000)? What if your mgr lied to you about location of his opening to get you into that rt that another courier fled from?(that mgr eventually got fired)?

What if you ran 2 rts a day to help your mgr out, often getting off after 2100, when other couriers refused to help. And your mgr assured you the lates wouldn't affect your review, then gave you a 5.9 due to the lates(changed to a 6.1)

What if your mgr conspired with a senior courier to take hrs away from you by telling you sr.courier was A rt in loop when you transferred in, when actually sr.courier was C rt to your B and was supposed to flex to you?

What if mgr who rehired you forced you to accept less than 35 hrs on 5 days in order to take internal FT posting, forcing you to work 6 days a week to just get 36 or 37 hrs. And when you go to the company about it they tell you a week is 7 days, not 5, and plenty of employees get their guarantee on more than 5 days? That mgr was later forced to take mgrs buyout.

WHAT IF U ARE A DOMICILED COURIER MAKING 11.67 AN HR AND NEARLY BANKRUPTED BY MGRS WHO PUT PKGS IN U.S. MAIL TO KEEP YOU FROM GETTING OVERTIME, LYING TO AND SCREWING OVER CUSTOMERS JUST BECAUSE A DIRECTOR WAS TRYING TO GET A DIRECTORSHIP IN FLORIDA AND WANTED ZERO OVERTIME IN HIS ENTIRE DISTRICT? HAVE ANY IDEA WHAT IT'S LIKE TO BE FORCED OFF THE ROAD BY A SCREAMING CUSTOMER ON A 70 MPH HIGHWAY? TO GET IN SHOUTING MATCHES WITH YOUR MGR?

And through all this B.S. I've been always at or near the top in productivity. Was nearly perfect onroad as a swing in Florida. Did things like volunteer to meet a truck at 2400 on Christmas Eve in Arizona so a less senior courier with a family wouldn't be forced too. And like many other couriers have been sent onroad in blizzards, tropical storms(1 just downgraded from hurricane and still very powerful). And after all this have my traditional pension rug pulled out from under me. You seem pretty comfortable knowing what couriers are really like and really worth. Well you are most likely a mgr. If you are a courier you don't have a clue what goes on out there. I've been crapped on too many times and for that I deserve better pay. If upper mgmt can look in the mirror without guilt for what they are doing to us then they are an evil giant.

Here's your official FedEx "answer". "You have a bad attitude and need to realize you are so lucky just to work for this wonderful, most-admired, Top 100 best in the world company. Get your head straight, and your numbers up, and never accuse our managers of lying because they believe in PSP and always tell the truth".

That said, the main reason I never went into management is because I actually have ethics and a conscience. I wouldn't be able to sleep at night knowing I'd screwed-over people intentionally. This effing company is such a scam, yet the general public thinks it's a great place to work. If they only knew the truth, and the way they treat decent people like yourself. If there is a Hell, Fred S has a reservation.

bbsam

Staff member
MrFedex
I feel like I share in the profits, but it requires me to share in the risk as well. Is that a team member, cog in the machine, or a business partner? Or is it a completely subjective matter based on the individuals definition of fair compensation? If it is not subjective, then what is the basis from which objectivity can be discerned?

bbsam

Staff member
Looks like it got less interesting. Corker is single-mindedly blocking this legislation for one thing--Fedex. Without capitulation from the rest of the senate to give him and Fedex exactly what they want, it goes nowhere. Simple passage means give Corker his way and move on. In a sense, Fedex's pawn has moved into check-mate position.

Broke

Looks like it got less interesting. Corker is single-mindedly blocking this legislation for one thing--Fedex. Without capitulation from the rest of the senate to give him and Fedex exactly what they want, it goes nowhere. Simple passage means give Corker his way and move on. In a sense, Fedex's pawn has moved into check-mate position.
They'll eventually have the 60 votes to get past Corker, it's just a stalling tactic. That's why senator Reid is allowing a week of floor time for this issue.

bbsam

Staff member
They'll eventually have the 60 votes to get past Corker, it's just a stalling tactic. That's why senator Reid is allowing a week of floor time for this issue.
This is a vote I'm actually interested in seeing play out now that you mention it. As dirty and raw as politics (and the influence money has) can be, it always is intriguing. I'm still trying to figure out how I would like them to go. I think I stand to profit handsomely either way, but still fascinated by the different scenarios. I agree. This is getting interesting.

vantexan

Here's your official FedEx "answer". "You have a bad attitude and need to realize you are so lucky just to work for this wonderful, most-admired, Top 100 best in the world company. Get your head straight, and your numbers up, and never accuse our managers of lying because they believe in PSP and always tell the truth".

That said, the main reason I never went into management is because I actually have ethics and a conscience. I wouldn't be able to sleep at night knowing I'd screwed-over people intentionally. This effing company is such a scam, yet the general public thinks it's a great place to work. If they only knew the truth, and the way they treat decent people like yourself. If there is a Hell, Fred S has a reservation.

Sorry, missed this reply. Been my experience that they always try to shift blame on the courier unless there's concrete evidence of wrongdoing by mgr. Admitting wrongdoing might open them up to litigation so better to throw courier under the bus. I agree about the ethics of it. It's one thing to have it done to you, another thing all together to be doing it to others. I know many go into management to have a better future and take better care of their families. But eventually they have to realize that employees are getting screwed and they are an enabler of that. So at that point they have to either quit or sell their souls for the money. Anyone who justifies what's being done has sold his soul.