TC on Today Show Monday

Notretiredyet

Tom Camp UPS new poster boy for safety going to be on Today Show, they're coming to our building Monday morning. Wondered why my truck was washed yesterday. They gave him a new uniform and a script of suggested things to say about UPS. I'm sure all the big wigs will be there to look like they really care, in spite of the fact that our safety money has been eliminated and our accident rate is thru the roof. Going to be an interesting morning..

Notretiredyet

Tom will never retire and many of us that know him feel a bit of sadness regarding this fact. But it's his choice and I respect that, he's been doing this 51yrs now and it's the only life he knows.

Last edited:
Hopefully they'll ask him why in the hell he is still working at the age of 73.

​If he were are farmer and still running around in his fields would you ask that? Or any other profession. As long as he's safe doing it let him be happy if that makes him so. It's a semi-free country.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Tom will never retire and many of us that know him feel a bit of sadness regarding this fact. But it's his choice and I respect that, he's been doing this 51yrs now and it's the only life he knows. Sad.

At some point it may not be his choice. He likely won't be fit for the job all that much longer. All u old guys can say what u want but I believe anyone over 70 should taking a driving test at the DMV every other year at least. I see twice as many old drivers that are a danger on our road than young drivers. No one is willing to stand up and attack this problem head on though.

At some point it may not be his choice. He likely won't be fit for the job all that much longer. All u old guys can say what u want but I believe anyone over 70 should taking a driving test at the DMV every other year at least. I see twice as many old drivers that are a danger on our road than young drivers. No one is willing to stand up and attack this problem head on though.

51 years of safe driving! I think we all could learn a little something from this driver!

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
​If he were are farmer and still running around in his fields would you ask that? Or any other profession. As long as he's safe doing it let him be happy if that makes him so. It's a semi-free country.

If he were a farmer he wouldn't be a hazard to everyone on the road while in his fields. Also he works for ups we know what his retirement looks like. It's sad that someone that's been with a company like ups for so long feels they need to keep working.

On a side not he by no means needs this job. How funny would it be if he's just like. Safety is a total farce at ups. They don't really care day to day. All they care about is it hurts the bottom line when someone has an accident or gets injured. Then they trot guys like me out here and tell me what to say all so we can give the appearance of being a safe company.

FilingBluesFL

From a USA TODAY story...

"We have a notion of a fair's day work for a fair's day pay — he is worth every penny, and so are the other drivers like him," said UPS spokesman Dan McMackin. "He is one of a kind. He's the pinnacle."

I'm pretty sure I've read that "notion" in the Collective Bargaining Agreement lol

UPS driver has no crashes in 51 years

I'm sure he gets his load hand-picked every day, too. I see plenty of that around here for our "older" drivers. Age and Ability.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
The article says he is a long time bachelor, and work is all he has. I am looking forward to retiring as soon as I can, it won't be difficult at all to find something better to do than deliver cardboard boxes.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Holy Cow!
I remember being in a safety class back in the 80's and Tom Camp was helping teach it.
​Good for him as long as he enjoys what he is doing.