TCD...good or bad

Discussion in 'Life After Brown' started by About time, Aug 6, 2016.

1. About time

About time New Member

• What does it mean to be hired off the street as a TCD. Is it less of a chance to get hired as a FULLTIME driver

2. Mr Shifter

Mr Shifter Active Member

If you're driving you'll be making good money.

3. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

It's means you drive when they need you and stay home when they don't.

4. About time

About time New Member

They first offered the job of working as a package handler 4 days a week driving on Saturdays and then they asked if I'd want to drive fulltime...then a few days later before going to the drivers training said they were making me a TCD and not fulltime..I was reading other posts saying that TCD aren't hired off the street and if you are you should be fulltime from the start otherwise hiring of a TCD is outside the contract. Can you or someone break this down for me. Ultimate goal is to become a FULLTIME driver ASAP and I don't want to jeopardize this

5. UpstateNYUPSer

Are you sure that they used the term Temporary Cover Driver and not Casual/Cover Driver? TCD's are generally PTers who work the preload and only drive when needed. Casual/Cover drivers do not work on the inside and only drive when needed, usually to cover vacations. Casuals work before TCD's.

6. About time

About time New Member

They said I'd be a TCD driver

7. UpstateNYUPSer

You may want to get clarification on that before saying "yes" or "no".

8. About time

About time New Member

Is that because of what I had mentioned about the contract?

9. UpstateNYUPSer

No. You need to make sure what your role will be and what their expectations are.

I am confused by their use of the term TCD, which is usually used for preloaders who drive as needed.

10. Mr Shifter

Mr Shifter Active Member

Tcd's make about 30 an hr without progression. Go for it. Down side you won't work everyday.

11. Orion inc.

Orion inc. I like turtles

Sounds like a seasonal position under some supplements.

TCD is for PTers who already are working at ups. Never heard of one hired off street.

12. BIGBROWN30

BIGBROWN30 New Member

they are offering me the same position (tcd) should i take it? and if i do whats the process to become full time other than the 30-90?

13. Txbrown82

Txbrown82 New Member

I'm being offered a TCD position also, off the street. Full time package handler when not driving.