TCD on call procedure

QualityLoads

Tcd in south here. Been working all year and recently switched from preload to reload so im not there in the mornings when its slow and i work preload. the last couple of weeks have been really slow for me, since new drivers are being trained. I told my sup to call me in if they need me, that way i dont report to drive then get sent home only to return later to do reload. They arent too happy about it because i would ussually bail them out on airs right after preload if i wasnt on a route.

I want to know everything i need to know about being on call. Am i suppose to call them or them call me? If they call me in im entitled to get 8 hours? Are they suppose to give me at least an hours notice. If i get called in and all i have is an hour or next day airs, i can request 8 hrs?

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
On call

That's cute

It shouldn't work that way

Before you leave reload the night before you should know wether or not your driving the next day

If you have been told to show up

Work

I'm sure you'll find someone who has a lot of seniority that will go home

Or offer to pick up a broom and sweep for 8

If you aren't told to show up and someone below you works

File

These new guys and this on call crap is hilarious

QualityLoads

Thats how they treat it in my building they try to tell me the night before but sometimes they call me an hour before.

They dont let full timers go home if im unassigned because they want to limit tcd reports. i guess this on call crap is real.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
No, he is not supposed to call them...they have to let him know the night before.

They can call him in the morning if something comes up but he is under no obligation to answer the phone.
It also means he can't complain when there isn't work for him.

Honestly OP, if you were looking to drive, switching to reload was a bad idea

QualityLoads

I switched to reload to in the morning for my family. I have no problem waiting my turn for my fulltime. If theres no work ill enjoy my off day, if theres work, ill be out until ohsa laws are about to be broken. Any oppurtunity i drive is a bonus to me. Ive learned how to survive off preload paychecks.

If they let full timers go home and let me work instead i would be in there everyday. In my building full timers work even if i have the day off and the full timer wants to go home. No matter how much the full time driver moans, they wont pull him for a tcd. Ive tried to find langauge about laying off full timers in favor of a tcd. No luck yet. If i report my best bet is a late call in or those 3 airs a driver says he wont make in time.

Overpaid Union Thug

Tcd in south here. Been working all year and recently switched from preload to reload so im not there in the mornings when its slow and i work preload. the last couple of weeks have been really slow for me, since new drivers are being trained. I told my sup to call me in if they need me, that way i dont report to drive then get sent home only to return later to do reload. They arent too happy about it because i would ussually bail them out on airs right after preload if i wasnt on a route.

I want to know everything i need to know about being on call. Am i suppose to call them or them call me? If they call me in im entitled to get 8 hours? Are they suppose to give me at least an hours notice. If i get called in and all i have is an hour or next day airs, i can request 8 hrs?
Look at the manning board for the next day when you go in for reload. Or ask an on car or manager if they are still around at that time. If you don't want to work the next day let them know then.

You should be working instead of a trainee. If you want to work then let a lower seniority TCD have the option of sitting at home while a trainee works.

Faceplanted

It is not your duty to call or wait by the phone in the morn

In the south there is no such thing as on call. You need to be notified the night before. If they do call you the morning you are needed u can tell them no thanks I already have plans next time notify me the day prior.

Don't play their game

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
I switched to reload to in the morning for my family. I have no problem waiting my turn for my fulltime. If theres no work ill enjoy my off day, if theres work, ill be out until ohsa laws are about to be broken. Any oppurtunity i drive is a bonus to me. Ive learned how to survive off preload paychecks.
That I can respect. But it becomes harder hours of service wise if you're working reload and then driving the next day. It probably plays a role in the reduced calls.

Faceplanted

Reduced calls? They cannot pass him over just because he said he was not available one morning if they need a body the next day.

Op be sure to check the opps report, if they work somebody without calling you first with less seniority (even if u turn it down every day) u can file. They need to make an effort in the mornings before using somebody with less seniority, but in actuality they should have an idea how many bodies they need the day prior to cover potential call ins

There is a seniority system ups agreed to with the union concerning tcds and ups needs to follow it.

Tcd guys get the short end of the stick with everything else so know your rights

QualityLoads

Unfortunately I only have 1 driver with less seniority than me. And he barely works.

The way I see it I'm fortunate to have been driving for over a year with no extended layoffs, while having less than 2 years at ups. Tcd is bonus money for me and a first hand look at the routes in our center, the fun doesn't start till I'm fulltime.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Reduced calls? They cannot pass him over just because he said he was not available one morning if they need a body the next day.

Op be sure to check the opps report, if they work somebody without calling you first with less seniority (even if u turn it down every day) u can file. They need to make an effort in the mornings before using somebody with less seniority, but in actuality they should have an idea how many bodies they need the day prior to cover potential call ins

There is a seniority system ups agreed to with the union concerning tcds and ups needs to follow it.

Tcd guys get the short end of the stick with everything else so know your rights
If there is an hours of service issue he can be skipped over. Federal law overrides the contract.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
On call

That's cute

It shouldn't work that way

Before you leave reload the night before you should know wether or not your driving the next day

If you have been told to show up

Work

I'm sure you'll find someone who has a lot of seniority that will go home

Or offer to pick up a broom and sweep for 8

If you aren't told to show up and someone below you works

File

These new guys and this on call crap is hilarious
Sweep for 8?
He's a part time tcd he's not guaranteed 8 unless he gets a route that day.
If he wants to work he should show up every morning, if he doesn't then give up the position to someone who actually wants to make some money.

Funny thing is people say, just call in an hour before start time say option 3 and hang up. Then you say they have to tell the tcds the day before if they're going to work. See how that doesn't work out?

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
Sweep for 8?
If he wants to work he should show up every morning, if he doesn't then give up the position to someone who actually wants to make some money.

Funny thing is people say, just call in an hour before start time say option 3 and hang up. Then you say they have to tell the tcds the day before if they're going to work. See how that doesn't work out?
You're funny

If you're told to show up for a shift you're there to work

Being told you're on call and being called in because someone bangs out are two totally different things sweet heart

Thanks for the red X

It lets me know you get emotional when you're wrong

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
Sweep for 8?

Oh and he's not JUST a part time TCD

He's a qualified driver

Period