TCD on call procedure

PT Car Washer

Just think you gave bad advice don't take it so personally.

Look. If he wanted to work he would show up every morning. Sounds to me like he doesn't really want to be a tcd. So maybe he shouldn't be.
Sometimes management will tell employees not to show up at work unless they have been told to report in.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Sometimes management will tell employees not to show up at work unless they have been told to report in.
True. In his case though it sounds like they want him there to use him as an exception air driver if he doesn't cover, and he doesn't want to do that.

Seems like his biggest problem is management won't let him cover for someone who showed up but wants the day off. This is how I make probably half my money.

Faceplanted

Management should account for call ins, and have extra people to told the night prior to come in to work. If no call ins, management can offer full timers the day to make sure the tcd guys who were told to come in work

It's really not rocket science. Management have degrees know so they are all "smart" and should know this

It is not as simple to just come into work. 2/3 contracts ago when they added the stipulation that after x amount of reports they have to create a full time spot, tcd guys stopped getting used a lot. He would be an idiot to get up commute to work every day just to work 1 day a week. U guys who have never been tcd in the south after the contract change wouldn't have a clue

frostylhr

A question of my own.

If I am TCD, also work pre-load, and am told not to come in for pre-load because I am driving the next day-only to be told at start time that I have no route, am I just totally screwed out of any money at all?

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
A question of my own.

If I am TCD, also work pre-load, and am told not to come in for pre-load because I am driving the next day-only to be told at start time that I have no route, am I just totally screwed out of any money at all?
Depends on your supplement....
If you're in the southern region and you can prove you were scheduled that day, it looks to me like you're guaranteed 8 hours.

LETTER OF UNDERSTANDING ARTICLE 49, SECTION 7 Temporary Cover Drivers Rate of Pay April 21, 2009

If an employee on the preload operation, who is a TCD and is scheduled to cover for a full-time Service Provider, then said employee would be guaranteed eight (8) hours per day, and would be considered to be the junior employee in that classification for purposes of extra work opportunities for that day.
https://teamster.org/sites/teamster.org/files/southern-region-supplement-07172014_0.pdf

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Depends on your supplement....
If you're in the southern region and you can prove you were scheduled that day, it looks to me like you're guaranteed 8 hours.

LETTER OF UNDERSTANDING ARTICLE 49, SECTION 7 Temporary Cover Drivers Rate of Pay April 21, 2009

If an employee on the preload operation, who is a TCD and is scheduled to cover for a full-time Service Provider, then said employee would be guaranteed eight (8) hours per day, and would be considered to be the junior employee in that classification for purposes of extra work opportunities for that day.
https://teamster.org/sites/teamster.org/files/southern-region-supplement-07172014_0.pdf

Yes, you are guaranteed 8 hours if you are put on road; however, the above does not say what happens if you report to work only to be told that there is no route for you to run.

whiskers

This is a battle I've been in for some time now. I've been harassed and threatened to be disqualified for not answering my phone. There's really not much language on this issue.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Yes, you are guaranteed 8 hours if you are put on road; however, the above does not say what happens if you report to work only to be told that there is no route for you to run.
The 8 hour guarantee if put on road is already covered in Article 49 Section 7 of the Southern supplement.

Where does the letter of understanding I posted mention anything about being put on road? It specifically says "scheduled", and only applies to preloaders. That's why I said if he can prove he was scheduled to drive and misses his preload shift for that reason, he might be guaranteed 8 hours.

I'd talk to my steward, and probably file a grievance just to get clarification. Either way he should at least be guaranteed his 3.5 hours.