TCD questions

UPSGUY72

Would you prefer they create FT cover jobs but not have the volume to support them?

I'm a FT cover Driver... We still have about 12 bid cover driver position in my center and probably 40-50 in my local. They need to stop abusing and teasing the PTimers. We didn't have TCD's till last contract and they are paying for it now. As all the TCD where Sat Air drivers now they have to pay 6-9 FT drivers $51.54 hr on Sat to deliver air because the TCD's go back to being PT as of Jan 15 and they can't fill there position. When I deliver Air on Sat I usually do 15-20 stops and work 5 hours.

Also volume has nothing to do with it. They just don't want to pay benefits. They have no problem keeping drivers out 10-12 hrs a day when they could put on routes and give everyone 8-9 hr days... UPS makes billions of dollars a year after taxes and overhead they are by no means hurting for money as they will step over a dollar to save a nickel.

IMO there should be no TCD only FT cover drivers. TCD just get used and abused which isn't right and they not guaranteed any driving hours.
Idk if used and abused, I'm still new been here 2 weeks. But from what I heard by many this is the footstep in to become a FT driver one day which is what I want as a career.

UPSGUY72

It will never be a Footstep to being a FT driver. Getting a FT driver position is based on seniority or luck for off the street hires and always will be it will never be based on whether or not you were a TCD. So who ever told you that is full of it.. Your in the union seniority rules.....

But when I signed the bid sheet for TCD it is also based on seniority, is it not? And I have training plus I know the route instead of just hiring someone else off the street without any background like me a month ago and they have to train them, show them the route etc

PT Car Washer

Idk if used and abused, I'm still new been here 2 weeks. But from what I heard by many this is the footstep in to become a FT driver one day which is what I want as a career.
Being a TCD will give you more hours then working preload at a higher rate of pay. The bad part is you will be expected to work when UPS needs you and sit by the phone the rest of the time.

UPSGUY72

But when I signed the bid sheet for TCD it is also based on seniority, is it not? And I have training plus I know the route instead of just hiring someone else off the street without any background like me a month ago and they have to train them, show them the route etc

There is a 6 to 1 inside to outside hire ratio for every 6 people that get a FT driver position from inside they hire 1 from off the street. There also could be PTimers with more seniority than you that don't want to be a TCD they want a FT position are are waiting for one to go up and be able to win that. So even though your a TCD they still have a right a FT drivers position before you if the sign the bid sheet...

PT Car Washer

Yes you will be hired before someone off the street. But if a PT who has never driven before and has more seniority signs the FT bid he will be given the chance before you.

Isn't it when they hire new drivers they do it 6 from inside and 1 outside-off the streets? That's what I was told. And how do I know where I stand in seniority? It's a new hub and I've been in it since day 1. My question here also is if someone from another hub came to this new hub after me but they have been with ups at another hub longer, would they have more seniority than me because they have been with ups longer or will I have more seniority because I've been at this location longer? Is it hub based or ups/career time based is what I'm getting at

UPSGUY72

Isn't it when they hire new drivers they do it 6 from inside and 1 outside-off the streets? That's what I was told. And how do I know where I stand in seniority? It's a new hub and I've been in it since day 1. My question here also is if someone from another hub came to this new hub after me but they have been with ups at another hub longer, would they have more seniority than me because they have been with ups longer or will I have more seniority because I've been at this location longer? Is it hub based or ups/career time based is what I'm getting at

There should be a posted seniority list for PTimers and FTimers ask your shop steward where it is posted

They have one posted but it's been the same one for a year and almost everyone (except 1 person) I started out with quit in unload at least. Too many quit and the list hasn't been updated plus pages missing with al the construction too much stuff being moved around.

UPSGUY72

They have one posted but it's been the same one for a year and almost everyone (except 1 person) I started out with quit in unload at least. Too many quit and the list hasn't been updated plus pages missing with al the construction too much stuff being moved around.

Tell them to update in my area it's suppose to be updated every quarter... See your shop steward and have a updated one posted...

Yeah I'll just call them and see, everyone there seems to not know what's going on exactly or what to do..and I'm myself confused about some things because not a straight answer most of the times.