TDU??

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Would it really be a bad thing for the IBT to keep us better informed as to the progress and substance of the negotiations to date? The Internet is a powerful thing and perhaps it is time that they learn to use it to their (and our) benefit.

stink219

Would it really be a bad thing for the IBT to keep us better informed as to the progress and substance of the negotiations to date? The Internet is a powerful thing and perhaps it is time that they learn to use it to their (and our) benefit.
Questionable. It's as clear as day from UPS that speculation on contracts is a poison. I cannot deny that. When it's done we can read it.

stink219

Sean OB will make a great president too. The Union will be in GREAT hands
Yes 100% agree. I know Sean well. He is a motivator, a bully to UPS especially and a very smart negotiator. We have some very great new local supplements due to him and 3 of my locals executive board members (all on the national negotiating team). Its my understanding that 3 from one local is a record. Some people don't understand that Sean ran for eastern regional VP (that means he only gets votes from the eastern region). He still got more votes in one region than Sandy Pope did internationally.

SEAN M. O'BRIEN 45,579 (EAST)
SANDY POPE 13,047 (EAST)
39,251 (INTERNATIONAL)

Asskicker

So why didn't the International run this Sean guy? He sounds like he's got more going for him then Hoffa who's running on his Daddy's name. When hall was approached about the company eliminating 22.3 jobs his reply was that this isn't the time in this economy to pursue that. And this is the guy you guys are voting for? There is nothing that states in our Local anyway, that the economy has any bearing on the 22.3 jobs. It may be in the National...because again Hoffa doesn't know how to negotiate the language in a contract.

stink219

So why didn't the International run this Sean guy? He sounds like he's got more going for him then Hoffa who's running on his Daddy's name. When hall was approached about the company eliminating 22.3 jobs his reply was that this isn't the time in this economy to pursue that. And this is the guy you guys are voting for? There is nothing that states in our Local anyway, that the economy has any bearing on the 22.3 jobs. It may be in the National...because again Hoffa doesn't know how to negotiate the language in a contract.
Hoffa doesn't negotiate the language and neither did Carey. It was Sean's first time on the international board. This is Hoff's last term. They need Sean on board first. I think what Hall meant was that "it's not the time to start eliminating 22.3's" But back to Sean, there will be an ongoing documentary series about the union being filmed out of Sean's local 25. It's produced by Mark Wahlberg and will be on A&E
Heres a video link:
http://www.necn.com/04/06/12/Teamsters-Local-25-to-become-part-of-doc/landing_newengland.html?blockID=684004

Asskicker

No their high paid lawyers do. They are both lawyers and should know how to word a contract. And Hall didn't "mean" anything other then what he "said" which was with the economy being so bad it's not the time to try and enforce the 22.3 jobs being eliminated. SADNESS. If we are going to have a Union who negotiates a contract, then the Union should be enforcing the contract. And I look forward to watching the series on Sean and his local. Thanks for the info.

stink219

There are many lawyers in our negotiations. Articles are broken down to small groups. Lawyers from each side and negotiating teams from each. If only Hoff and Hall did them, we would be negotiating our 2025 contract now. It just takes too long. It took my lawyer 3 months to word my divorce decree. And guess what? I didn't require his to update me every week with language. I told his what I wanted (just like we did when the union had us prepose changes at our union halls), when he was done I read it (just like you can do when the tentative is done), and he asked me if it was acceptable (which is like us voting on it). Would you rather is use a low paid lawyer to negotiate your livelihood or some of the best labor lawyers? You know UPS is paying for the best.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
DRACULA,

I have been on EVERY negotiating committee since 1992, and I knew Ron Carey. I also knew that they gambled with negotiations and a strike ensued. What "THEY" didnt do, was Prepare the membership "months" in advance that a strike was possible. The same rejects at TDU were saying the same "a deal to be worked out soon" talk because they had NO IDEA that the company would force a strike upon us.

Given Ron Careys disastrous Overnight strike in which he got his ass handed to him, along with all the members of the teamsters who lost thier jobs and careers, the LAST thing Carey wanted was a strike against UPS.

Unfortunately, as the company was telling Carey to go Phuque himself at the table, "We" the membership sat back and did nothing to prepare ourselves to be out three weeks without pay. With CAREY running the strike fund BROKE, we recieved 50 bucks a week.

CAREY got lucky that the membership stood together, and the customers took our side in the battle.

The company gave in given those circumstances. Today, the company doesnt care what the customers think, they dont care how much it will ultimately cost them and they surely dont care about the members who will lose pay during the strike.

We can however, prepare ourselves to be ready this time around. Having TDU posting claims that "a deal to be reached soon", only HURTS our members.

Members will take this kind of info seriously and do nothing expecting an agreement, only to find themselves walking a picket line unable to pay the mortgage and feed the kids.

This you can "PIN" directly on TDU.

People who dont like TDU dont necessarily LIKE HOFFA either. The reality is however, is that HOFFA is calling the shots and we have to support him to secure a contractual agreement, vs supporting TDU whos only interest is to fill their pockets with the cash of those stupid enough to donate to them.

Peace

TOS

Look, I've got nothing against you. In fact, before all of this contract--TDU crap came up, we've argued on the side of many issues here. But if you really were on EVERY negotiating committee since 1992, then we're in trouble if you're negotiating for us. Because you are either lying or incompetent. Look, I get it, you hate TDU and Ron Carey, but as I said in my earlier post, your facts just wrong.

Again, unless you weren't at work, or went in through the back doors and ignored everything you ever heard in '96 and '97, you should've been acutely aware of the contract situation. We handed out fliers in front of the gates all year long. We had a strike authorization. You have to be completely ignorant of your surroundings to not understand that ballot in your mailbox. I find it troubling that you say you were on the negotiating committee and boots on the ground like me and the people I worked with knew EXACTLY what was at stake, and we all were prepared just in case. Ron Carey and TDU, hell, everyone in the union was telling us. Where were you? How could you possibly say Carey and the union had NO IDEA a strike might happen?? That is actually stunning.

Second, Ron Carey was kicked out of the union July 27TH, 1998. The Overnite strike started on October 24TH, 1999. Uh, Junior began his Presidency on December 5TH, 1998. If my math is right, that would make Hoffa President when the Overnite strike began. So if the Overnite strike was a disaster, then that falls on Junior. But don't take my word for it, here are the links to explain it:

Board Expels Ron Carey From Teamsters for Life - NYTimes.com

Teamsters End 3-Year Strike Against Trucker Without Contract - NYTimes.com

unless you think The New York Times is a TDU flunky newspaper.

Hell, not that many people every knnow what TDU is. Mainly the Hoffa people. So it boggles the mind that you would say TDU would be responsible if members aren't prepared. Sounds like you've already got a fall guy if things go bad.

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
How about TDU for calling the negotiations. They said that UPS would pull their demands of us paying for healthcare and they NAILED IT.
Come on anonymous, stink219, orangputeh, upsman2940 and kingOFchester don't you admit that after that all-negative news/blame TDU for giving out the phone number garbage, that TDU calmly posted the contract negotiation update on their website saying UPS was expected to pull their health care proposal and UPS did.
Isn't TDU great.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
Since when do the rank and file get to know every proposal during negotiations? We elect national leadership to negotiate on our behalf. Guess what folks, your not on the committee, you don't get to see every proposal. When your leadership decides there is an offer worth voting on, you will get your say! If you don't like the process get your ass involved in how it"s shaped!! I gotta tell ya, I:m sick and tired of hearing how you folks don't like the process! Guess what, the Union is a Democratic process. The TDU is a distraction from the process. If you don't like it, vote!!!!!!!!!!!!

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
Since when do the rank and file get to know every proposal during negotiations? We elect national leadership to negotiate on our behalf. Guess what folks, your not on the committee, you don't get to see every proposal. When your leadership decides there is an offer worth voting on, you will get your say! If you don't like the process get your ass involved in how it"s shaped!! I gotta tell ya, I:m sick and tired of hearing how you folks don't like the process! Guess what, the Union is a Democratic process. The TDU is a distraction from the process. If you don't like it, vote!!!!!!!!!!!!

realbrown1

Every proposal? We hear almost squat from the teamsters about negotiations. If you think that is ok, fine. But alot of us want at least weekly updates. It is our contract being negotiated, not Hoffa's or hall.
If TDU was negotiating, I am sure we would get updates. Not this BROWNOUT that Hoffa and Hall love so much.

LagunaBrown

How about TDU for calling the negotiations. They said that UPS would pull their demands of us paying for healthcare and they NAILED IT.
Come on anonymous, stink219, orangputeh, upsman2940 and kingOFchester don't you admit that after that all-negative news/blame TDU for giving out the phone number garbage, that TDU calmly posted the contract negotiation update on their website saying UPS was expected to pull their health care proposal and UPS did.
Isn't TDU great.

You dont think the IBT already knew that info and some high level TDU guy just leaked it? As hard as they try TDU can't wear the big boy pants if they cant even win the election. They are the Monday morning Quarter backs and known for getting unqualified :censored2:bags to run against a local. You know the sock puppets type guys that always complain about the local but never get involved or show up at Union meetings.

realbrown1

You dont think the IBT already knew that info and some high level TDU guy just leaked it? As hard as they try TDU can't wear the big boy pants if they cant even win the election. They are the Monday morning Quarter backs and known for getting unqualified :censored2:bags to run against a local. You know the sock puppets type guys that always complain about the local but never get involved or show up at Union meetings.
They may not have won the GP since Carey, but they are still here. Thank god for TDU. Some of us appreciate what they do for us.

stink219

They may not have won the GP since Carey, but they are still here. Thank god for TDU. Some of us appreciate what they do for us.
Carey used you guys! He needed the extra votes to win. Sorry if it hurts. Why did he remove every TDUer on his staff? Get over it already! You sound like the 50 year old guy STILL talking about how he won the big game in high school. No disrespect to him, but Carey is dead. He's not coming back. Hoffa Sr., god rest his soul, is dead and not coming back. Stop living in the past! TDUers are so resistant to support the union. How did you folks get to be so bitter? Hold a grudge much? Answer me this, Do you support our union? Yes or No?

Asskicker

We have to support them thru our dues...which by the way Hoffa increased to the highest ever without a membership vote. At least Cary respected the membership enough to have us vote. It's about holding the Union accountable for the job they have been hired to do. Just like we are.

LagunaBrown

We have to support them thru our dues...which by the way Hoffa increased to the highest ever without a membership vote. At least Cary respected the membership enough to have us vote. It's about holding the Union accountable for the job they have been hired to do. Just like we are.

Raising the strike fund was a no brainer.... Everyone remembers the tiny checks we got, members bitched about how it should be more and they raised it. Maybe you will be saying Thank you in August.