TDU?

2Slow

As I read on here, opinions are clearly strong about whether or not TDU is a good thing for the Teamsters. Lots of yelling, not much substance from either side being posted. (That I've seen)

Would it be possible for people to lay out the arguments for each side with a minimum of name calling?

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
As I read on here, opinions are clearly strong about whether or not TDU is a good thing for the Teamsters. Lots of yelling, not much substance from either side being posted. (That I've seen)

Would it be possible for people to lay out the arguments for each side with a minimum of name calling?
ImageUploadedByBrownCafe1438608907.465037.jpg

2Slow

Hahahaha!
I'm sure the screaming will commence, but I'm genuinely interested in hearing the arguments pro and con.

I'm not a fan of making up my mind based on other people's emotions.

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
It's basically democrats and republicans.

2 different groups that pretty much despise the other.

Hoffa's group (Old Guard) has been around forever and think that they are the only ones with experience enough to run the union.

Paff's group (TDU) thinks the Old Guard has done a crappy enough job that almost any one else can do a better job.

It's basically that simple.

image.jpg

It all starts with this guy.

ezmoney5150

Pretty simple.

If Hoffa/Hall say the sky is blue TDU says its green and you guys are corrupt.

If Hoffa/Hall get us a $5 raise this year TDU says its a concession they should have gotten $10 because of their profits. Oh and by the way you guys are corrupt.

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
Pretty simple.

If Hoffa/Hall say the sky is blue TDU says its green and you guys are corrupt.

If Hoffa/Hall get us a $5 raise this year TDU says its a concession they should have gotten $10 because of their profits. Oh and by the way you guys are corrupt.
Lmfao!!!

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less

TDU was incredibly important in bringing democracy to the Teamsters Union in the 1970's/1980's. Our union was dominated by the mob and other interests for a lot of our history and TDU helped change that along with the consent decree in the 1980's. The rank and file electing the IBT executive board (rather than the locals' elected delegates) and requiring a simple majority (rather than 2/3) to vote down a contract are both things that TDU helped win for the average Teamster. That being said, the rank and file sure as hell don't take advantage of any of that today.

The problem with TDU is the whole concept of a "union within a union." There's also a lack of transparency on TDU's end -- as they're not a "labor union" per se, they don't file LM-2's like all locals and the IBT do. Sure, they might distribute that info at their conventions (educated guess?) but its not readily available. They're more than happy to take pot shots at IBT officials and local officers that "double up" on jobs (officers with two or more jobs clearing $150k/year are pretty prevalent in our union) without even opening their own books.

The fact that an activist can run against their local officers in a clean election without winning a pair of concrete boots can be partially attributed to TDU and a great deal more to a lot of hardcore Teamsters that were loosely associated with TDU and did put their lives and safety on the line to do so.

I'd recommend reading "Collision: How The Fank and File Took Back the Teamsters" by Kenneth Crowe.

anHOURover

I'll post it simply...... Tdu brings information to the rank and file that the old guard don't want you to know... I been on both sides. I feel with Tdu you have more educated members! BUT.. That education comes at a cost!! If a Tdu slate wins a local election they funnel $ out of the local!! A Tdu activist in a strong old guard local has a target on their back and chances are they will not make it to retirement!!
For starters I would glance at their web page just like lead belly and wide load do and get educated but be careful because when the old guard comes after you there is no one there to save you!! I'm a huge fan of the way Z runs his local 89 with no Tdu or old guard influence!!
Lead and wide act like they hate Tdu but they are on their site daily!!

Last edited:

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
TDU has something to sell you=free information.
If they put as much energy into support of our union, we might have a chance against RTW, Koch, etc.
They have a personal vendetta against anything or anyone Hoffa is involved in. Their judgement has been clouded by the 98 election and the retaliatory axe they grind. But understand, Hoffa supporters show a "Teamsters first" mentality. With TDU its "the cause first". TDU is in to make a ton of money if Sylvester wins. That's why they are so invested in our union.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Very interesting thread. Doesn't affect me in the least, but after reading many threads on here on the subject it's nice to get a basic understanding.