Teachers Not Paid Enough?

passerby

Rocky, no one said you were anything, chill.

There is no draft, and if there was, you'd get a pass for a medical, 4-friend, right? Maybe you could join the Peace Corps if you want to serve your country.

Your sense of service is admirable, there is a place for you to fulfill it. There are many alternatives. Americorps is another, check it out.

Good luck, bro.

av8torntn

Anytime you're under combat conditions, a firefight, the man next to you can become unable to participate. But your logic is straight out of the sixties.

True but first you must make it through the training before you get a crack at combat. There are many prior injuries that are almost guaranteed to show up.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
There is no draft, and if there was, you'd get a pass for a medical, 4-friend, right? Maybe you could join the Peace Corps if you want to serve your country.

I have no idea if that's what's called. Strangely enough, the enlisted didn't seem upset or bothered by the fact that I wouldn't be able to serve. Other than my arm injury which will heal up 90 or 95%, I'm a fit, healthy guy. I'd expected him to be irate, etc because of this. Nope, just a smile and, "You're good, then. They will not take you because if you DO re-injure yourself, they're on the hook for that the rest of your life. They do not want that."

Your sense of service is admirable, there is a place for you to fulfill it. There are many alternatives. Americorps is another, check it out.

Probably not. I'll volunteer in my local communities, etc. A longterm commitment to something like the AmeriCorps or Peace Corps isn't on my radar anytime in the next 5-10 years. We'll see, though. -Rocky

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
True but first you must make it through the training before you get a crack at combat. There are many prior injuries that are almost guaranteed to show up.

And mine would. If a doc didn't ask the right questions OR I didn't answer them truthfully, I have a feeling I'd be feeling pain and / or weakness in the arm in short order. An x-ray would display the plate. That would be that. -Rocky

av8torntn

And mine would. If a doc didn't ask the right questions OR I didn't answer them truthfully, I have a feeling I'd be feeling pain and / or weakness in the arm in short order. An x-ray would display the plate. That would be that. -Rocky

I've seen it before. If you would have chosen to be dishonest you would likely have been caught. Some of their rules are in place for a reason. I think the recruiter is also partially right in that they do not want to be on the hook for your injury for the rest of your life either.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
I've seen it before. It you would have chosen to be dishonest you would likely have been caught. Some of their rules are in place for a reason. I think the recruiter is also partially right in that they do not want to be on the hook for your injury for the rest of your life either.

I apologize if my posting suggested I had tried to enlist. I haven't. I was visiting friends and family in Colorado last weekend and chatted with a recruiter at a local university while waiting for someone. When I mentioned the arm, he said, "We wouldn't take you. No waivers would get you in, either." I have no problem with them not wanting to pay for an injury for the rest of my life. After I get my arm back, there will be no more hopping fences, rough-housing with my sons (when I have them), UPS-style jobs or physical contact sports such as football.

My life from here on out is going to be very, very different :sad-very:. -Rocky