teamcare question

ups clerk

In my local in Earth City MO, an hourly was on vacation and during that time he had gone to a doctor for whatever reason. He found out that Teamcare told him that he was not covered for the doctor visit because he was on vacation and so was technically not employed by UPS during his vacation time. He called our local union and believe it or not they agreed with Teamcare.
Huh?
They made it sound like in order to be covered for healthcare, you have to work at least one day a week. So in other words, if you are on vacation, you have to come in and work one day so you are covered for health care.
Somebody please tell me first if you have heard of this and secondly if somebody is misunderstanding how Teamcare works.

Thanks

saintrick

Is there more to the story?

If he was on a regularly scheduled vacation he does not lose coverage.

If management allowed him to take his week off when it was not scheduled and did not put it in payroll it could show he had no reports for the week.

reconjoe

Why in the world would any Local agree to allow teamcare wording on medical coverage like there is pertaining to days off and losing coverage

upschuck

I've known a few people who have turned bills into UPS sups because they were coded improperly, and they paid the bill. They were in Teamcare, or predecessor as well, and not in UPS's plan.

Indecisi0n

Just an open question. This wording was passed on the contract right.
Might he harsh but
/Rant on
People like you and the OP are the problem. You know nothing about the contract but when you hear garbage like this instead of pulling out your contract/insurance information you just run to your buddies and regurgitate this nonsense. It makes not only the person you heard it from look like a fool but you for believing it.
/Rant off

*Back to watching kitty videos.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Just an open question. This wording was passed on the contract right.
The wording was not passed in the contract. The wording is in Teamcare itself and Teamcare was passed in the contract.

You need to work 1 day a week to be covered for medical for the week. Working 1 day a week consists of working, option day, vacation or single vacation day.

If you take a week off without pay, extra drivers maybe, you are not covered under Teamcare and have no insurance for the week. If you are laid off after peak, like a whole lot of people will be, you will not have insurance for any week in which you don't work a day.

A lot of you are going to go 2, 3 months without insurance. There is the COBRA option, but it is around $275 a week. I guess better than no medical.

BrownChoice

Here you are covered for the next month for working the current month. So if something happens you have coverage for the next 2 months. I like it.

reconjoe

Might he harsh but
/Rant on
People like you and the OP are the problem. You know nothing about the contract but when you hear garbage like this instead of pulling out your contract/insurance information you just run to your buddies and regurgitate this nonsense. It makes not only the person you heard it from look like a fool but you for believing it.
/Rant off

*Back to watching kitty videos.
No the problem is people like you who will blame TeamCare when in reality you voted this contract in. The wording should not have been defined later, it should have been located earlier! But yet get your tit in a ringer when it's pointed out. Who in the heck allows something like this to fly? Oh I know, a person like you did. And for the record, I am not associated with anyone like yourself who voted this contract in.

reconjoe

The wording was not passed in the contract. The wording is in Teamcare itself and Teamcare was passed in the contract.

You need to work 1 day a week to be covered for medical for the week. Working 1 day a week consists of working, option day, vacation or single vacation day.

If you take a week off without pay, extra drivers maybe, you are not covered under Teamcare and have no insurance for the week. If you are laid off after peak, like a whole lot of people will be, you will not have insurance for any week in which you don't work a day.

A lot of you are going to go 2, 3 months without insurance. There is the COBRA option, but it is around $275 a week. I guess better than no medical.
Mugolla. It's hard to stomach that this is an issue at all concerning health coverage. I appreciate your info as well. Thanks.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Mugolla. It's hard to stomach that this is an issue at all concerning health coverage. I appreciate your info as well. Thanks.
Yes, some believed Hoffa when he said that Teamcare "mirrored" our existing plan and did not do any research on their own. Was it right to believe Hoffa. Well, he is our union president and should not have any reason to lie or to not tell the truth.

So why did he lie to us? Did he not know? Or is it that if he told us the truth, the master never would have passed and he never would have gotten an infusion of new members to prop up a failing healthcare plan. You decide.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
And here is why it is an issue. Teamcare gets paid weekly. If you take a week off without pay, or are laid off, there is no weekly payment to Teamcare so they do not want to cover you for "free".

How stupid is it to cancel your coverage for a week here, or a week there. Hoffa never mentioned a word about this to us.