Teamcare unsustainable. Hoffa words, not mine.

rudy5150

Show me that Fed ex is a serious threat and UPS is struggling to make ends meet (over a billion a quarter) then I will accept a $30 doctor visit until then il take my $10 office visit whenever I feel necessary

RealPerson

The flaw with your arguments is that the pot of money is only so large. In the negotiated contract, IBT was likely more successful in securing larger increases economics than UPS had been willing to pay. You can already see the fallout, with disgruntled Freight and managerial employees. In other words, if you want to maintain the status quo benefits, you're going to have to relinquish a portion of your raise or contribute toward the cost (premium).

As I've previously written, consider the current benefits. The ER co-pay is so low that members go there for petty reasoning; they don't know and don't care that the ER is a VERY expensive place to visit. It's not free or low cost -- UPS is simply picking up the tab. There are oodles of other examples I can think of, such as members foolhardily filling prescriptions they don't want or need just because it's "free" and yields them at $25 gift card at Target, Safeway, CVS, etc. Higher costs & escalators in the new insurance are necessarily a bad thing. I would rather see a bigger raise than continue to pay for people's ignorant decision to take their kids to the ER because they got gas after eating a Bloomin' Onion at Outback.

Personally, I'd love to see a more modern health plan. E.g. One that charged $30-$40 (instead of $10) for a PCP visit, but waived two per family member per year as well as all those related to a serious illness (e.g. cancer). $500 per member would be deposited into a health savings account to spend on higher costs, as well as OTC drugs, etc. Such plans require more critical thinking on the member's end, and lower costs on the provider's.

Wow wait till everyone can go to the ER for FREE with Obama care.... Ouch...
Even with UPS picking up the Tab, they had Record Profits...

I also understand your point on people being wasteful, but current wages at UPS
I think people Know they are working for the "free" benefits and not just something they get for Free.

Several Local places by me start at $10 an hour and yes benefits, not as good as ours, but ok. But you also do not have to wait a year or 18 months for them. Light lifting, air conditioning, so on so on...

Just saying with all of this, UPS AND IBT can do Better.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!

Just the show the ignorance of your post(s), you do realize the biggest cost driver in health care has been the usage of ERs by persons without health insurance? ERs, in most jurisdictions, are the only place that cannot refuse service to persons without documented insurance or proof of ability to pay. Thus, many bills go unpaid -- and everybody else's is inflated to pay them.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Even with UPS picking up the Tab, they had Record Profits...

I also understand your point on people being wasteful, but current wages at UPS
I think people Know they are working for the "free" benefits and not just something they get for Free.

Several Local places by me start at $10 an hour and yes benefits, not as good as ours, but ok. But you also do not have to wait a year or 18 months for them. Light lifting, air conditioning, so on so on...

Just saying with all of this, UPS AND IBT can do Better.

​As can you it appears.