teamster 401k questions?

Forty6and2

I'm Broken
can anyone tell me if the investments in the teamster 401k have ticker symbols? i.e. are there actually symbols that i can look up on the internet to check the status of them?(instead of having to log in to the 401k website?)

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I think that the only investments in your 401k that have ticker symbols will be the stocks that you have in your self-managed account. I just tried to check if the 2 funds that I have in my 401k have symbols (S&P 400 and EAFE) but they don't as they are comprised of many different investments.

browniehound

Forty, you can check the status of your funds by logging into the Teamster/UPS 401 (k) website.

If you are invested in the S+P 500, 400 or russell 2000, you can get that info from any financial website.

I think you need to log into the teamster/UPS 401k site and spend some time there exploring what it has to offer and studying the information.

I'm not going to give you investment advice, but I will say there is a ton of information you should learn from these websites.

I hope thise helps,

Brownie

You can get your ticker symbols from the web site you have to sign into. Then you can go to msn money and make the portfolio page one of your tabbed homepages. You can enter the symbols of the funds and the share amounts if you want to. When you open up your browser it will update the days changes and give you your total portfolio value. It makes if kind of easy since you don't have to sign into anything or enter any passwords.

Forty6and2

I'm Broken
You can get your ticker symbols from the web site you have to sign into. Then you can go to msn money and make the portfolio page one of your tabbed homepages. You can enter the symbols of the funds and the share amounts if you want to. When you open up your browser it will update the days changes and give you your total portfolio value. It makes if kind of easy since you don't have to sign into anything or enter any passwords.

thanks for the help everyone- but if there are any ticker symbols, they don't list them on the 401k website- or at least i don't find them anywhere and i've clicked everywhere.
no biggie

wily_old_vet

thanks for the help everyone- but if there are any ticker symbols, they don't list them on the 401k website- or at least i don't find them anywhere and i've clicked everywhere.
no biggie

Finding the symbols for the funds ain't going to happen as they are institutional funds. If you hold the index funds you can find the movement of that particular index but your fund won't be an exact match due to fees and the like. The only fund I ever saw was when the Fidelity Magellan fund was an option.

FAVREFAN

There are ticker symbols for all the major indexes including many of the index funds included in our 401(k) plan. If no-one puts them on here by the weekend, I'll look them up for you. Peace.

browniehound

There are ticker symbols for all the major indexes including many of the index funds included in our 401(k) plan. If no-one puts them on here by the weekend, I'll look them up for you. Peace.

You can google the ticker symbols for the major indicies, but if he can just log into the teamster-ups 401k website there a page that shows each funds exact performance for the 3 months, 1 year, 1 year rolling, 3 years, and 5 years, I believe. Send me a PM Forty6and2 and i will try to explain in more detail.

Brownie

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I think that the only investments in your 401k that have ticker symbols will be the stocks that you have in your self-managed account. I just tried to check if the 2 funds that I have in my 401k have symbols (S&P 400 and EAFE) but they don't as they are comprised of many different investments.
Symbol for the S&P 400 is $MID.X
Symbol for EAFE is EFA-N

Forty6and2

I'm Broken
You can google the ticker symbols for the major indicies, but if he can just log into the teamster-ups 401k website there a page that shows each funds exact performance for the 3 months, 1 year, 1 year rolling, 3 years, and 5 years, I believe. Send me a PM Forty6and2 and i will try to explain in more detail.

Brownie

its ok everyone- i was just curious if it was possible to track my 401k investments on my homepage. i use the dell/google homepage. my question was mainly just to see if it was possible to put the individual investment info onto the homepage so it could track my investments for me...INSTEAD OF HAVING TO LOG INTO THE 401K WEBSITE TO SEE MY PERFORMANCE.
its not really a big deal to me if it can't be done.

rod

Retired 22 years
its ok everyone- i was just curious if it was possible to track my 401k investments on my homepage. i use the dell/google homepage. my question was mainly just to see if it was possible to put the individual investment info onto the homepage so it could track my investments for me...INSTEAD OF HAVING TO LOG INTO THE 401K WEBSITE TO SEE MY PERFORMANCE.
its not really a big deal to me if it can't be done.

You don't want to track your 401k's performance day to day. It will drive you insane.

filthpig

I put all my money in bonds a while back. I highly advise that or cash. Stock funds are way too volatile right now and most are losing money as fast as you put it in.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I put all my money in bonds a while back. I highly advise that or cash. Stock funds are way too volatile right now and most are losing money as fast as you put it in.

It all depends on how close you are to retirement. If you got 5 years or less to go, I agree with moving into bonds or cash. If you still have 10+ years to go then right now is a great time to get into stocks because you can get them cheap. Remember that even though the funds look like they are bleeding cash, you actually don't lose (or make) any money until you sell.

av8torntn

If you still have 10+ years to go then right now is a great time to get into stocks because you can get them cheap. Remember that even though the funds look like they are bleeding cash, you actually don't lose (or make) any money until you sell.

This is a good point. Take advantage of this opportunity to gain more shares for the same money. You can look at it like a sale. There may not be any ten year period when the broad stock market has lost money. If you have ten years or longer and stay in an index fund your odds are very high that you will make money.

PAUPSER

401k question.

I am a new hire driver and wanted to know if the company matches up to 3% of your contributions. I keep various answers from the people at our center, hell the Center Manager wouldn’t even answer my question.
Thanks!

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Re: 401k question.

I am a new hire driver and wanted to know if the company matches up to 3% of your contributions. I keep various answers from the people at our center, hell the Center Manager wouldn’t even answer my question.
Thanks!
no

browniehound

Everybody has an opinion:happy2:. Problem with yours, Filth, is this guy you are telling to move to bonds and cash could be 22 years old for all we know. With your advice he will be eating dog food in his golden years, LOL.

Now, if he was in his 50's I would consider your advice sound.

Bonds and bond funds can lose principal, by the way.

FAVREFAN

Re: 401k question.

Thanks!
Only management gets a match. No matches for union employees because we get the nice pension. It doesn't matter. Put as much in as you can. Over time you will do very well.

We are paying the lowest tax rates in history. Why avoid taxes now to pay higher taxes later? You may want to max out a roth IRA before your 401K. I know I will pay higher taxes when I retire than I do now with a family.