Teamster healthcare downgrades will continue until...

Atomic_Smurf

Be prepared for many more setbacks & downgrades to our health plans not only in future contracts but during the course of them as well. Especially retirees both past & future. I hate to think what portion of our pension will be given right back to pay for our insurance by the time the rest of us retire. The Affordable Care Act guarantees that the days of employers providing health insurance are numbered. Demand that Hoffa/Hall call for the full repeal of the Affordable Care Act to save it's members from the taxes, penalties & other consequences we are only beginning to realize. That is the only chance we have of ever bringing back the great plans that UPS has provided its employees for decades.

Last edited by a moderator:

No Syncro

What concerns me is not just the initial cost to retirees and active workers. It is the long term future of the plan. Somebody at the Teamsters has a vision of how this is all going to turn out, but they aren't telling he people who will be impacted.

Atomic_Smurf

I agree only, I'm not convinced that our union leadership is any smarter that you or me. Seems to me that Hoffa/Hall allowed this president & his party to use the Power & gulability of the Teamsters to take control of one sixth of the U.S. economy & the rank & file are left giving concessions on their earned benefits. It's either that or Hoffa/Hall knew full well what they've supported will ultamatly lead to a single payer system. This time it's our union leaders that are telling us "You have to pass it, to find out what is in it".

Upsmule

Change you better believe in union ostriches. Yet more evidence why you shouldn't vote for and apologize for politicians who are in favor of bigger government, more regulations, more control of your lives and less freedom as a result. The fun has only begun in the second term of a staunch Marxist.

Atomic_Smurf

Why was this thread moved to current events? This issue is very relevant to our union & current tentative agreement & was placed there for that reason.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
It is not a Union Issue, it is a government political topic.
Political discussions are moved to Current Events.
Union discussions are moved to Union Issues.

These are standing rules for Brown Cafe.

wkmac

Was it the OP that created the political reasoning on which the post was moved or was it a response post on which the decision was justified? Just curious to learn how the thought process works to make for a better use of posting and moderator time.

I can see your point on later posts but I don't see it in the OP. I've been working with financial planners setting up my affairs ahead of retirement and they speak of factoring in the effects of the healthcare laws in going forward. It has nothing to do with politics but rather an economic reality and I saw Atomic's OP in that latter light.

jmo

Nevermind. Read the OP again and saw the "repeal ObamaCare" so I can see it from that point.

Atomic_Smurf

It absolutely is a union issue! Its a discussion about how, if ever we can bring back our benefits that are currently being downgraded. So much of what affects us as union members is political. Seems a little dishonest or one sided to push it aside. Removing the healthcare law would do more to save our healthcare than voting "No" on this contract, going on strike, or pointing the finger at whoever is stuck holding the reigns when the ticking time bomb explodes. Please move it back Mr. or Mrs. moderator so that others concerned about their future at UPS can see a different perspective. Thank you:)

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I moved the two posts to Union Issues that were not blatantly political in nature.

Any future posts the that thread in UPS Union Issues that are political will be moved to this thread in Current Events.

This is as fair a solution as I can think of and be in compliance with Brown Cafe rules.

Atomic_Smurf

I moved the two posts to Union Issues that were not blatantly political in nature.

Any future posts the that thread in UPS Union Issues that are political will be moved to this thread in Current Events.

This is as fair a solution as I can think of and be in compliance with Brown Cafe rules.
is RTW a political topic? What about our healthcare? I see very little in the union issues threads that isn't political. Sorry, it just seems like something else is going on here. I guess we just can't mention names, party or whose legislation is at fault. Some of us like to use our whole brain when discussing these things & you can't have a full, honest discussion about union issues without speaking of our ties to politics.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
is RTW a political topic? What about our healthcare? I see very little in the union issues threads that isn't political. Sorry, it just seems like something else is going on here. I guess we just can't mention names, party or whose legislation is at fault. Some of us like to use our whole brain when discussing these things & you can't have a full, honest discussion about union issues without speaking of our ties to politics.

Use your whole brain in Current Events.

You are not going to make Teamster management go talk to Obama and have him repeal Obamacare.
Furthermore, the Teamsters cannot make Obama do anything ... they are a miniscule speck in the big picture.

I still think you were trying to instigate a political discussion in Union Issues and political discussions are something we always move to Current Events.

Atomic_Smurf

I think your underestimating the influence that the Teamsters have on big labor & the influence big labor has on public opinion & the influence public opinion has on public policy. The Teamsters have the power to sway our elected officials which was the reason they PUBLICLY supported Obamacare. The roofers & allied workers publicly supported the healthcare law as well & have turned around to call for its full repeal or overhaul recently because of the hit multi employer unions are taking. If other unions would get on board we could make some progress but it appears that you personally would rather our members stay ignorant of what is taking place in favor of the inevitable single payer system you've expressed your support for in the past.