teamster president election

Status
Not open for further replies.

tieguy

Banned
Shame on them for using a strike vote to make the company stop the BS and negotiate, they should have just agreed to work for free. UPS only made 873 million in profit in the second quarter, and only had revenue of 13 billion, we should all bite the bullet for UPS, because they would do the same right? Not really. Maybe if UPS didn't violate the contract so much there wouldn't be this us vs. them attitude that is prevalent on both sides.

funny isn't it how 710 was able to get it done at the same time without all the BS threats.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Don't twist words...I never said that. You are anti UPS management which runs the company.....teamsters don't run UPS although you may think so!
You think you should make 50 bucks an hour and UPS should not make a profit.....that's your communistic views....add more full time jobs even though UPS losses money!!....that is your thought process!!

Im not all anti-management! We have some very good managers and sups in my building and then we have some that are not qualified to super size an order thru the drive thru at mcdonalds. I have never said that the union runs the company, but we will observe the contract and if that results in tens of thousands of dollars in grievances than so be it. Please show me were i have said that i should make $50 an hour!

They build a better car, more dependable. They are also owned by a Japanese company. They do what customers demand and are streamlined. You on the other hand would like us to operate like FEDEX. Hire more fulltime drivers to pick up ground out of our drop boxes, don't use air drivers is just one example, another is don't use air drivers to deliver air in the morning!! ....add more drivers....don't be flexible....add more drivers ....more useless 22.3 jobs.....drive UPS into the ground!!

So we dont provide a better more dependable service? Maybe you sitting in an office somewere might not be providing this but us common folk that load, unload, deliver and drive these packages from point a to point b do.

Do you work under a teamster negiotiated contract? why yes you do and in it does it say that ptime air drivers can do fulltime package car work? So why dont you just honor the contract that someone higher up the food chain than yourself has agreed to work under.

You actions and that of your local prove my point......pound the war drums of a strike!!....Drive our customers away!!....You really don't care about UPS....just the glory of your local !!....You are and your local could care less about your fellow teamsters or UPS!!.Time for me to go to work!!

Hey if ups would have had the same sense of urgency from day one of the talks back in june that they showed us overnight on the 30th of july it wouldnt have come to that. We do care about our customers but we also care about the members and will not sell them out to please you. Didnt over 3000 of my fellow teamster show up in support of a fair contract? In my local over the last 4 years almost 16,000 grievances have been filed, does that sound like a local that doesnt care about the members? Or more like a company that doent care about its employees?

J

JonFrum

. . . Once UPS goes under, there will not be any other Teamster organized companies to pay your pension.

So very true . . . for anyone in the UPS Pension Plan, the UPS Retirement Plan, or the new UPS-IBT Plan, that is. All are single-employer plans. All your eggs are in one basket. If UPS fails, the plans fail. You go down with the ship. And must hope the PBGC insurance fund itself manages to stay afloat to partially rescue you.

[Sorry to twist your words but they were just hanging there waiting to be twisted. Great to see by your profile that you like Atlas Shrugged too!]

Mike Hawk

funny isn't it how 710 was able to get it done at the same time without all the BS threats.

Maybe UPS shouldn't have backed them into a corner, they could either work without a contract, take UPS's BS offers, or strike to get a fair contract. With 16,000 grievances filed over the last contract I am sure they were jumping with joy at the thought of being at the mercy of UPS working with no contract. 710 also knew they would get less than 705, that’s why as part of their agreement they got whatever 705 gained.

Mike Hawk

Looks like our sitescab is jealous of those ups plans that are doing well.

What do you expect from someone who thnks he is too good to join this terrific site Cheryl has provided for us.
Why do you keep crying every time he posts? Cheryl has decided that it is ok for him to post, you have expressed your opinion, and it changed nothing so let it go. If you think your ideas on how to run the site are so much better than hers you can leave and start a new site. Be happy the site is here and don't whine about the policies every time Jon posts.

tieguy

Banned

Maybe UPS shouldn't have backed them into a corner, they could either work without a contract, take UPS's BS offers, or strike to get a fair contract. With 16,000 grievances filed over the last contract I am sure they were jumping with joy at the thought of being at the mercy of UPS working with no contract. 710 also knew they would get less than 705, that’s why as part of their agreement they got whatever 705 gained.

Mike are you a little dense today?

UPS same company with both talks.

710 gets done early with quiet professionalism. no theatrics no games.

705 requires lots of drama , lots of theatrics , strike votes.

yet its the same company negotiating both. How can that be?

Clearly the 705 folks did not know what they were doing.

tieguy

Banned
Why do you keep crying every time he posts? Cheryl has decided that it is ok for him to post, you have expressed your opinion, and it changed nothing so let it go. If you think your ideas on how to run the site are so much better than hers you can leave and start a new site. Be happy the site is here and don't whine about the policies every time Jon posts.

guess what my little part timer its a message board. My right to defend cheryls hard work if I feel like it.

The reason we fight and have lots of theatrics is so we can have great make up sex. Now give me a smooch.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
In Red's defense, mgmnt does tend to overlook at times the fact that at the other end of each pkg is a customer waiting. We are not a box factory, we are a service business. Too many times decisions are based on production goals and not service. I spend alot of my time apologizing for service failures and inconsistent delivery times. Breaking a route at 8:30 makes the DM a hero but the customer that just had his 150 piece SSI acount busted into 3 trucks may not think the same way. Or the split of A.M. business stops now moved to the next truck's P.M. side. We preach plus/minus 15 minutes on the pickup side but the deliveries can be any time? Customers can't rely on us unless mgmnt gives us the tools to be reliable. We are supposed to be on the same team but it seems we have to fight to be able to provide service to the people paying our wages. One more thing quickly. We had a big account that is thinking of swithcing to UPS from Fedex. They are giving us a small percentage of their shipments to see how we do. Didn't it used to be the other way around? BM

705red

Browncafe Steward
:sad-very:
Mike are you a little dense today?

UPS same company with both talks.

I will put the contract that we negiotiated up against any other in this country. That is the contract that we had going in and what we now have and lets see who did better. You will see its the 705 guys that did not know what we were doing.

browned out

I will put the contract that we negiotiated up against any other in this country. That is the contract that we had going in and what we now have and lets see who did better. You will see its the 705 guys that did not know what we were doing.

Right

I am still waiting for someone to post the real negatives in the 705 contract. No one seems to be able to find any?

Way to go 705 You are not gonna cause UPS to go under, though some of the fat cats will not get any fatter.

The national contract piece of crap should not have been put to a vote. We are in a very enviable position in a duopoly and in a exponentialy growing world wide industry.

Some people in this forum believe that there are other competitors besides fed ex.

What the ?

DHL will be our biggest customer NOT COMPETITOR if and when our deal goes thru to carry their air.

Again

Good job 705

tieguy

Banned

you have good language you have bad language. The point again is 710 also did very well without all the drama. Thus the point that your folks were way over their heads. I personally think hall and some corporate folks finally stepped in and coached this thing to a successful conclusion. I'm still haunted by your lets settle it in the streets post at 11 pm the night before it was settled. Something happened in those back rooms while you slept to get that mess settled. there had to be some serious arm twisting going on. your guys got some language cleaned up but again sold out the part timers on the starting wage issue.

Also big contract lot to read did your part timers get the quick 1.50 progression increases.

How about the quick catch up wage increases that part timers are getting under the nma with many get substantially more then the .70 a year.

The reason I ask is because it sounded like your local was going to try the old ron carey song and dance of "fighting for the part timers" but yet it seems they got dumped when things got serious.

Bloodybrown

In Red's defense, mgmnt does tend to overlook at times the fact that at the other end of each pkg is a customer waiting. We are not a box factory, we are a service business. Too many times decisions are based on production goals and not service. I spend alot of my time apologizing for service failures and inconsistent delivery times. Breaking a route at 8:30 makes the DM a hero but the customer that just had his 150 piece SSI acount busted into 3 trucks may not think the same way.
Breaking a route at 8:30 kills production, both with the preload and on road production. I would bet the route was broke due to a lack of staffing.
You are correct, we need to take care of our SSI accounts and breaking them into multiple cars is not a good thing.

Or the split of A.M. business stops now moved to the next truck's P.M. side. We preach plus/minus 15 minutes on the pickup side but the deliveries can be any time?
Air deliveries and SSI accounts have the priority, most customers want early deliveries, but we can't deliver all customers at the same time. We would benefit here if we had flexibility to use part-time drivers for certain accounts. PAS is great if the PDS knows what he's doing and takes the time to move the work properly so customers that get morning deliveries continue to get them early.

Customers can't rely on us unless mgmnt gives us the tools to be reliable. We are supposed to be on the same team but it seems we have to fight to be able to provide service to the people paying our wages.
I would argue that its not always managements fault, unless you have a completely incompetent management team......maybe you do....but its not like tat in most of the country.

One more thing quickly. We had a big account that is thinking of swithcing to UPS from Fedex. They are giving us a small percentage of their shipments to see how we do. Didn't it used to be the other way around? BM
There are many accounts that go back and forth over the years. We just won a couple of accounts back from fedex that left us several years ago, they tested us, we delivered good service , were competitive with our rates and won back the business. In the old days loyalty was a big thing in todays world there is little loyalty but we try to foster it with our customers by using our technology and bundled solutions.

Bloodybrown

Don't twist words...I never said that. You are anti UPS management which runs the company.....teamsters don't run UPS although you may think so!
You think you should make 50 bucks an hour and UPS should not make a profit.....that's your communistic views....add more full time jobs even though UPS losses money!!....that is your thought process!!

Im not all anti-management! We have some very good managers and sups in my building and then we have some that are not qualified to super size an order thru the drive thru at mcdonalds. I have never said that the union runs the company, but we will observe the contract and if that results in tens of thousands of dollars in grievances than so be it. Please show me were i have said that i should make $50 an hour!

They build a better car, more dependable. They are also owned by a Japanese company. They do what customers demand and are streamlined. You on the other hand would like us to operate like FEDEX. Hire more fulltime drivers to pick up ground out of our drop boxes, don't use air drivers is just one example, another is don't use air drivers to deliver air in the morning!! ....add more drivers....don't be flexible....add more drivers ....more useless 22.3 jobs.....drive UPS into the ground!!

So we dont provide a better more dependable service? Maybe you sitting in an office somewere might not be providing this but us common folk that load, unload, deliver and drive these packages from point a to point b do.

Do you work under a teamster negiotiated contract? why yes you do and in it does it say that ptime air drivers can do fulltime package car work? So why dont you just honor the contract that someone higher up the food chain than yourself has agreed to work under.

You actions and that of your local prove my point......pound the war drums of a strike!!....Drive our customers away!!....You really don't care about UPS....just the glory of your local !!....You are and your local could care less about your fellow teamsters or UPS!!.Time for me to go to work!!

Hey if ups would have had the same sense of urgency from day one of the talks back in june that they showed us overnight on the 30th of july it wouldnt have come to that. We do care about our customers but we also care about the members and will not sell them out to please you. Didnt over 3000 of my fellow teamster show up in support of a fair contract? In my local over the last 4 years almost 16,000 grievances have been filed, does that sound like a local that doesnt care about the members? Or more like a company that doent care about its employees?

Red, your last paragraph speaks volumes about you and your local. Your local would not even start negotiations until JULY......why not start months earlier......you stated there's no hurry.....do you think thats respectful to UPS and the rest of the teamsters around the country???...The answeris NO !!...Your local does not care about our customers because you pounded the war drums of a strike and we lost millions of dollars and a number of large customers, due to the advertising you guys orchestrated through the media throughout the midwest. Yet local 710 negotiated quietly and got it done. You keep saying you got a fair contract,good, and so did 710.......without the B/S you and your local pulled. Lastly,filing 16,000 grievence over 4 years demonstrates you and your locals lack of commitement in working with and communicating with the management in chicago.....you stated that you have some good managers in your building, correct.?....yet you probably filed the same number of B/S grievences with them as you did with other management. I bet you don't even follow the grieevance procedure properly....do you??...you just file at at a wim, don't you??....16,000...wow you guys are out of control.( I am sure some of the grievences were legit). The company and the employees did get a big win in negotitions now that an arbitrator has to be available if your panel deadlocks a case. I am certain this will force your local to stop deadlocking most cases and resolve them or your local will be forking over a heck of alot of money to an arbitrator......you guys use to deadlock and make the poor employee wait indefinitely even when you knew the case was a loser and then drop the case right before it would go in front of the arbitrator. You would leave the employee out to dry......now you can't do that anymore!!......oh and I see that if a driver gets D'qed in his probationary period the company is not obligated to bring them back for the entire life of the contract.....you led me to believe that that not true.....but it is....you have been sucessful to WORK IT OUT WITH MANAGEMENT TO GET SOME OF THEM BACK WITHIN A YEAR.....but management is not required to ablige.....correct???........if I'm wrong show me where its stated in your contract.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Red, your last paragraph speaks volumes about you and your local. Your local would not even start negotiations until JULY......why not start months earlier......you stated there's no hurry.....do you think thats respectful to UPS and the rest of the teamsters around the country???

You obviously have a real hard time reading english! We initiated the talks and started the talks early june on the 9th to be exact.

Respect for ups? They had a big hand in the outcome of this contract from day one and dragged their feet. If we wouldnt have walked out the night of the 30th as we did they might not have ever gotten serious without a strike.

...The answeris NO !!...Your local does not care about our customers because you pounded the war drums of a strike and we lost millions of dollars and a number of large customers, due to the advertising you guys orchestrated through the media throughout the midwest.

Typical management response, of course ups had nothing to do with the route that was taken. They didnt offer us outrageous proposals and threaten to take away our seniority and give us 15 cents every 6 months in raises. On call feeder language which 710 already has and we see how bad it is. You are aware that before dispatch calls in a 710 on call they will force a 705 feeder driver to do the run leaving this 710 guy at home with no work or pay and yet 710 will not file to stop this from happening. the 710 steward in my building has asked me to stop the 705 drivers from doing these routes because his agent has told him that a teamster is doing it. What about the guy at home on call?

There would have been no need for a strike vote if ups had bargained in good faith from day one like they did on the final day.

Yet local 710 negotiated quietly and got it done. You keep saying you got a fair contract,good, and so did 710.......without the B/S you and your local pulled.

Of course you wont but will you look to see what they had going in and how much was changed?

I am glad to say that i am not 710 and this is not a knock on my fellow 710ers but if management keeps tooting your horn like this, it is not good. If the company is giving pats on the back for a job well done thats a union that i dont want to be part of!

Lastly,filing 16,000 grievence over 4 years demonstrates you and your locals lack of commitement in working with and communicating with the management in chicago.....you stated that you have some good managers in your building, correct.?....yet you probably filed the same number of B/S grievences with them as you did with other management. I bet you don't even follow the grieevance procedure properly....do you??...you just file at at a wim, don't you??....16,000...wow you guys are out of control.( I am sure some of the grievences were legit).

Lack of commitement from the local? lmao! your kidding right? Imagine how many grievances that ups could have had but got away with?

I had a pt sup that i caught working last night for the third straight night which i had giving warnings to for two straight nights. When i asked him to stop he told me to go friend### myself, he refused to give me his name, he was not wearing his id, and refused to get his ftime sup for me. Now this results in 4 grievance alone and he lost the respect of his work group when i put him in his place verbally in front of his employees.

Are these 4 grievance legit in your eyes? Could have a total of 5 still thinking about filing for impedding a stewards investigation!

The company and the employees did get a big win in negotitions now that an arbitrator has to be available if your panel deadlocks a case. I am certain this will force your local to stop deadlocking most cases and resolve them or your local will be forking over a heck of alot of money to an arbitrator......you guys use to deadlock and make the poor employee wait indefinitely even when you knew the case was a loser and then drop the case right before it would go in front of the arbitrator. You would leave the employee out to dry......now you can't do that anymore!!......

This is a huge win for the union and the members because ups can no longer deadlock at panel, drag it out for 18 months and then offer you your job back as a time served suspension. Ups will save 100s of thousands of dollars in lost arbitration fees.

Of course you would like people to believe that the union is to blame for the dragged out arbitration process but everyone on here knows the truth.

oh and I see that if a driver gets D'qed in his probationary period the company is not obligated to bring them back for the entire life of the contract.....you led me to believe that that not true.....but it is....you have been sucessful to WORK IT OUT WITH MANAGEMENT TO GET SOME OF THEM BACK WITHIN A YEAR.....but management is not required to ablige.....correct???........if I'm wrong show me where its stated in your contract.

Heres two simple words that you might have heard of, Past Practice!

You claim to be educated on labor so you should know that if contract languiage is not changed you will work under its current intent!

705red

Browncafe Steward
you have good language you have bad language. The point again is 710 also did very well without all the drama. Thus the point that your folks were way over their heads. I personally think hall and some corporate folks finally stepped in and coached this thing to a successful conclusion. I'm still haunted by your lets settle it in the streets post at 11 pm the night before it was settled. Something happened in those back rooms while you slept to get that mess settled. there had to be some serious arm twisting going on. your guys got some language cleaned up but again sold out the part timers on the starting wage issue.

Also big contract lot to read did your part timers get the quick 1.50 progression increases.

How about the quick catch up wage increases that part timers are getting under the nma with many get substantially more then the .70 a year.

The reason I ask is because it sounded like your local was going to try the old ron carey song and dance of "fighting for the part timers" but yet it seems they got dumped when things got serious.

Tie the economics is the exact same as the nma, as i have said it was never about the money for myself. I am aware that we make a good buck, i was more worried about job security and protecting our current jobs with harsher penalties for sups working and lay offs.

Bloodybrown

Heres two simple words that you might have heard of, Past Practice!
Past practice is only used by your type when it benefits you, not UPS ! !
Your the kind of guy that holds up a contract books and preaches verbage thats not accuratly stated or is very open to interpetation....and try to take advantage of some poor part time sup or inexperienced ft sup. I know your kind very well......they always avoid me after I put them in thier place ! ! Your the kind of union rep that would be voted out where I'm from!! You see we had your type before and they are either no longer with ups or are back to being regular drivers. Most sensible drivers view your type as a irrisponsible and not looking out for the employees best intrest, you may have found a nitch where your from, but most UPSers would not keep you in your role as a union rep. I do understand that you have been brainwashed by your leadership, but that does mean that you are weak minded person that does not think freely and clearly!!

You claim to be educated on labor so you should know that if contract languiage is not changed you will work under its current intent!
What a joke!!!.....I use panel decisions to interpet vague language not what you consider language intent. You know the panels that your leadership allows you to attend once in awhile, where you sit in back of them like a little mouse!!

I am not going to get into your b/s response to what I earlier stated!!

705red

Browncafe Steward
If i am making you upset that means im doing my job, and if you think your man enough to put me in my place ill tell you again im out of the palatine building.

I have no idea why i even respond to you, you have yet to make a good point so you joined the site!

Status
Not open for further replies.