Teamsters.... Drag on some hubs?

I have been at UPS for just under an year. I have worked my behind off and love the workout of the job. Recently, I went into the supervisor position on my unload belt due to the job being a resume builder, better pay for a short while, and to help me pay for a new vehicle, and to pay my tuition.

From the beginning I figured there would be a few lazy people..... I didn't expect half the belt to be lazy..... And I surely didn't expect almost every one of them to be long time union members. As soon as I started running my belt (I knew everyone on the belt and was well liked), I noticed a few guys whose PPH was around 400-550..... Wow... A tomato can unload faster. As soon as I got on their case all I got was a blank stare and a shrug.

After break some union rep comes up and tells me to stop antagonizing the employees, what a shocker. He started coming up with half assed justifications as to why they were going slow, a 62 year old man on my belt unloads at around 800-1000 PPH. There is no excuse, unless they have a serious injury..... Of which none do that I know about.

Now, I know I may seem like an ass. But I have a job to do just as they do, but why is it that I can't tell someone to try harder when they haven't even broken a sweat without some :censored2: union rep threatening me with a grievance? Why is it that the Union defends these people? One guy hit an employee on another belt and after a while the Union got him his job back after he cried about having three kids..... Probably should've thought about that before he hit a 17 year old kid.

Why on earth does the Union support lazy slobs and fighters? At the moment, the Union members on my belt make my job incredibly difficult as they tell the newer guys to slow down and not worry about me getting on their case which spreads around like a disease.

Perhaps the Union should consider allowing members who will actually do the work within a reasonable speed given their physical condition. I say this as there is a body builder on the sort isle that sorts at around 170 PPH.....

Last edited by a moderator:

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I have been at UPS for just under an year. I have worked my behind off and love the workout of the job.

Recently, I went into the supervisor position on my unload belt due to the job being a resume builder, better pay for a short while, and to help me pay for a new vehicle, and to pay my tuition.

From the beginning I figured there would be a few lazy people..... I didn't expect half the belt to be lazy..... And I surely didn't expect almost every one of them to be long time union members.

As soon as I started running my belt (I knew everyone on the belt and was well liked) I noticed a few guys whose PPH was around 400-550..... Wow... A tomato can unload faster.

As soon as I got on their case all I got was a blank stare and a shrug. After break some union rep comes up and tells me to stop antagonizing the employees, what a shocker.

He started coming up with half assed justifications as to why they were going slow, a 62 year old man on my belt unloads at around 800-1000 PPH. There is no excuse unless they have a serious injury..... Of which none do that I know about.

Now, I know I may seem like an ass. But I have a job to do just as they do, but why is it that I can't tell someone to try harder when they haven't even broken a sweat without some :censored2: union rep threatening me with a grievance?

Why is it that the Union defends these people? One guy hit an employee on another belt and after a while the Union got him his job back after he cried about having three kids..... Probably should've thought about that before he hit a 17 year old kid.

Why on earth does the Union support lazy slobs and fighters? At the moment, the Union members on my belt make my job incredibly difficult as they tell the newer guys to slow down and not worry about me getting on their case which spreads around like a disease.

Perhaps the Union should consider allowing members who will actually do the work within a reasonable speed given their physical condition. I say this as there is a body builder on the sort isle that sorts at around 170 PPH.....

I looked at this big, long post all jumbled together and decided to try and read it anyway.

Did you ever hear of paragraphs?

Anyway, once I got to the part about going into supervision, I was relieved that I didn't have to read anymore.

If you had broken it up into paragraphs, I may have kept reading.

Look at your post and look how I fixed it for you. Which one is easier to read?

After I fixed it and then read it, I totally agree. You are an ass.

G

Googler666

I have been at UPS for just under an year. I have worked my behind off and love the workout of the job. Recently, I went into the supervisor position on my unload belt due to the job being a resume builder, better pay for a short while, and to help me pay for a new vehicle, and to pay my tuition. From the beginning I figured there would be a few lazy people..... I didn't expect half the belt to be lazy..... And I surely didn't expect almost every one of them to be long time union members. As soon as I started running my belt (I knew everyone on the belt and was well liked) I noticed a few guys whose PPH was around 400-550..... Wow... A tomato can unload faster. As soon as I got on their case all I got was a blank stare and a shrug. After break some union rep comes up and tells me to stop antagonizing the employees, what a shocker. He started coming up with half assed justifications as to why they were going slow, a 62 year old man on my belt unloads at around 800-1000 PPH. There is no excuse unless they have a serious injury..... Of which none do that I know about. Now, I know I may seem like an ass. But I have a job to do just as they do, but why is it that I can't tell someone to try harder when they haven't even broken a sweat without some :censored2: union rep threatening me with a grievance? Why is it that the Union defends these people? One guy hit an employee on another belt and after a while the Union got him his job back after he cried about having three kids..... Probably should've thought about that before he hit a 17 year old kid. Why on earth does the Union support lazy slobs and fighters? At the moment, the Union members on my belt make my job incredibly difficult as they tell the newer guys to slow down and not worry about me getting on their case which spreads around like a disease. Perhaps the Union should consider allowing members who will actually do the work within a reasonable speed given their physical condition. I say this as there is a body builder on the sort isle that sorts at around 170 PPH.....
You should have stayed in the union,
I have been at UPS for just under an year. I have worked my behind off and love the workout of the job. Recently, I went into the supervisor position on my unload belt due to the job being a resume builder, better pay for a short while, and to help me pay for a new vehicle, and to pay my tuition. From the beginning I figured there would be a few lazy people..... I didn't expect half the belt to be lazy..... And I surely didn't expect almost every one of them to be long time union members. As soon as I started running my belt (I knew everyone on the belt and was well liked) I noticed a few guys whose PPH was around 400-550..... Wow... A tomato can unload faster. As soon as I got on their case all I got was a blank stare and a shrug. After break some union rep comes up and tells me to stop antagonizing the employees, what a shocker. He started coming up with half assed justifications as to why they were going slow, a 62 year old man on my belt unloads at around 800-1000 PPH. There is no excuse unless they have a serious injury..... Of which none do that I know about. Now, I know I may seem like an ass. But I have a job to do just as they do, but why is it that I can't tell someone to try harder when they haven't even broken a sweat without some :censored2: union rep threatening me with a grievance? Why is it that the Union defends these people? One guy hit an employee on another belt and after a while the Union got him his job back after he cried about having three kids..... Probably should've thought about that before he hit a 17 year old kid. Why on earth does the Union support lazy slobs and fighters? At the moment, the Union members on my belt make my job incredibly difficult as they tell the newer guys to slow down and not worry about me getting on their case which spreads around like a disease. Perhaps the Union should consider allowing members who will actually do the work within a reasonable speed given their physical condition. I say this as there is a body builder on the sort isle that sorts at around 170 PPH.....
Tomatoes have no arms

beavis

If it's only a resume builder why are you so bent out of shape about it? Over 100 years of huge profits and we should change because you don't like it?

10 point

And why does the company retain a Center Manager (not removed for even one day) that screams "I'm going to friend--king kill someone!" when a police report is filed and corp was called but fires hourly for alleged threats that are less than that?

You've evidently been there so long that you justify your wisdom in all of this.

The company hired those folks just like you so I guess you're equals.

This speaks volumes.
Or maybe they are trying to prevent one?
Open the contract book to Article 37. Read the very first line of that article and get back to me. Now troll on.
Preventing an injury means you are working safe, using load stands, using the 8 keys, etc. This in no way means you have to move at a PPH of 400. That is ridiculously slow. Really, there is no excuse unless they have an injury, that speed of just ridiculous.

And why does the company retain a Center Manager (not removed for even one day) that screams "I'm going to friend--king kill someone!" when a police report is filed and corp was called but fires hourly for alleged threats that are less than that?

You've evidently been there so long that you justify your wisdom in all of this.

The company hired those folks just like you so I guess you're equals.
I don't justify my wisdom. I was on the other side of the fence as well and like anyone else had off days.... Not months. It is also my job to tell them to pick up the pace. I am never rude to the employees and treat them fairly. If I do yell, it because I don't have the time to hop I to their trailer. I am in no way antagonizing employees of I tell them to hurry. Most of the employees when told to pick up the pace, give me a thumbs up and a smile. Fairness.

If it's only a resume builder why are you so bent out of shape about it? Over 100 years of huge profits and we should change because you don't like it?
Seriously? You think a PPH of 400 is acceptable? Hell no, I've spent seven years of my life in a construction company and never once did I think it was acceptable to slow down just because I had seniority. Also..... It's my job to make the belt productive.... I'm not gonna sit on my ass and watch them move at absurd speeds.

Says the retiree who has 3 pairs of brand new UPS uniform shorts folded in the top of his closet.

To the OP----welcome to life in a Union shop, where mediocrity is the rule.
Unfortunately, it is quite sad that so many people support this behavior. There are a few union members on my belt who work their asses off because they know what is expected of them and don't use the Union as an excuse to be lazy.

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
Preventing an injury means you are working safe, using load stands, using the 8 keys, etc. This in no way means you have to move at a PPH of 400. That is ridiculously slow. Really, there is no excuse unless they have an injury, that speed of just ridiculous.
Methods are well and good. But volume of work does have a systemic effect on the human body. That being said, Did you read Article 37, line one of the contract that both UPS and IBT agreed upon?

I looked at this big, long post all jumbled together and decided to try and read it anyway.

Did you ever hear of paragraphs?

Anyway, once I got to the part about going into supervision, I was relieved that I didn't have to read anymore.

If you had broken it up into paragraphs, I may have kept reading.

Look at your post and look how I fixed it for you. Which one is easier to read?

After I fixed it and then read it, I totally agree. You are an ass.
Posted on my phone late at night, didn't care for organization much. However, how am I an ass if I am asking them to do their job? Never an I rude to them, il
Methods are well and good. But volume of work does have a systemic effect on the human body. That being said, Did you read Article 37, line one of the contract that both UPS and IBT agreed upon?

The parties agree that the principle of a fair day's work for a fair day's pay shall be observed at all times and employees shall perform their duties in a manner that best represents the Employer's interest. The Employer shall not in any way intimidate, harass, coerce or overly supervise any employee in the performance of his or her duties. The Employer will treat employees with dignity and respect at all times, which shall include, but not be limited to, giving due consideration to the age and physical condition of the employee. Employees will also treat each other as well as the Employer with dignity and respect.

Of course I take this into consideration, I'm not gonna tell the 62 year old guy on my belt who dropped down to 500 PPH to pick up the pace. Most of the guys I am talking about here are 24-35 years old and in decent shape which is what bothers me. I see that rather heavier guy sweating buckets and pushing himself while Steve and Bob out there get on their cellphones or otherwise lollygag around.

Posted on my phone late at night, didn't care for organization much. However, how am I an ass if I am asking them to do their job? Never an I rude to them, il

The parties agree that the principle of a fair day's work for a fair day's pay shall be observed at all times and employees shall perform their duties in a manner that best represents the Employer's interest. The Employer shall not in any way intimidate, harass, coerce or overly supervise any employee in the performance of his or her duties. The Employer will treat employees with dignity and respect at all times, which shall include, but not be limited to, giving due consideration to the age and physical condition of the employee. Employees will also treat each other as well as the Employer with dignity and respect.

Of course I take this into consideration, I'm not gonna tell the 62 year old guy on my belt who dropped down to 500 PPH to pick up the pace. Most of the guys I am talking about here are 24-35 years old and in decent shape which is what bothers me. I see that rather heavier guy sweating buckets and pushing himself while Steve and Bob out there get on their cellphones or otherwise lollygag around.

Also, rarely am I treated with respect by these older union guys.

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.

Did you read the contract?

Did you read the contract?
Nope, I was never a union member and as I am rather new to the job, have only completed a portion of my training. Also, as I am a full time student, I rarely have the time to read the contract. Justify it though, why is it acceptable for Steve and Bob (figurative people) to get on their phones or move out of their trailers to talk to other employees? Then a steward comes rushing to defend them when I get on their case and tell them to get back to work, all while being respectful.

By The Book

To the op. Sounds to me like you were a great part time employee who thought they could make all the other part timers better by being a supervisor. You mentioned the resume building and all the other benefits of being a supervisor. Now this is where the more responsibility part of your job kicks in.

tacken

We have a driver just like that. On that back of his PC in the morning it says perfect load. Now aren't they all suppose to be that way? He is the laziest driver around. But the squeaky wheel gets the oil!!!

PrimeUPS

Nope, I was never a union member and as I am rather new to the job, have only completed a portion of my training. Also, as I am a full time student, I rarely have the time to read the contract. Justify it though, why is it acceptable for Steve and Bob (figurative people) to get on their phones or move out of their trailers to talk to other employees? Then a steward comes rushing to defend them when I get on their case and tell them to get back to work, all while being respectful.

Things will only be as good as you allow. Everyone at UPS is paid for a job. You have your job, they have theirs. Now, their job does not include messing around on their phone (side note below). Their job is to unload, if they aren't moving packages, they aren't doing what they are paid to do. Simple as that. There is no reason an unloader, working safely and following the methods can't do 1200-1500 pph on an unload; provided external factors like belt stops on the primary, inordinate quantity of irregs, sort breaks, equipment failures, etc. don't lower it out of their control.

Don't lower your expectations to meet their performance. Raise your performance and your expectations and expect the best of yourself, your employees, and those around you. Hold them accountable and never accept mediocrity. This is true whether you're the CEO or a driver with a helper or a mid-level manager or a senior person in the area and training someone new.

Most buildings prohibit cell phones within operations (for non-management and drivers), you should check with your security supervisor to see if such provisions are in place and if not see what can be done.