Teamsters follow history?

backinbrown

respect my authority
Management can be fired or at least get slapped around a little for not allowing an injury report that would not go over here

705 i wouldn't think you would let that fly.

They dont run the show, they should be in trouble for this.

i dont understand how things like this happen, i look at my local and my stewards and UPS labor guy or gal would have got a call immediatly from BA.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Red, if these things are truly happening in your center, then you do have the right to your opinion about the management people in your center. Going back to the driver that was placed on light duty and half days. My experience with light duty and half days are the employee must be on workers comp. to recieve his/her compensation for the time lost on light duty and the only way they can receive compensation is an injury report being filled out and a doctor placing them on light duty. Did she receive any compensation for her lost hours of work? All employee must know that it is a right of theirs to be able to call an injury in and if the management is standing in the way of this happening they have the right to go around them and make it happen. A call to the Safety Manager should have been made. Red, are these things being brought up at Safety meetings? If there not, I would start there to see why management feels the way they do and I would get the Safety Manager involved in these meetings because it sounds like attitudes need to be changed. We should all know that Safety is an attitude and that attitude needs to start with management. Thank you.

Management can be fired or at least get slapped around a little for not allowing an injury report that would not go over here

705 i wouldn't think you would let that fly.

They dont run the show, they should be in trouble for this.

i dont understand how things like this happen, i look at my local and my stewards and UPS labor guy or gal would have got a call immediately from BA.
Guys this all not all happening in my center, im in a huge building and each center is being runned separate from each other and the preload.

Im am documenting everything in my black book, and waiting for the right moment to file. There is always a madness to my thoughts, and when the time is right i will file.

Safety committee's are useless, they preach safety and hand out fliers and bananas every now and than but complaints gets talked about but never accomplished.

If we want safety concerns addressed do it here, remember two peaks ago when i brought up the gas pumps? The next day district was out in the building fixing it! The cafe has far more weight than any safety committee! Again my opinion.

dragracer66

Red, if these things are truly happening in your center, then you do have the right to your opinion about the management people in your center. Going back to the driver that was placed on light duty and half days. My experience with light duty and half days are the employee must be on workers comp. to recieve his/her compensation for the time lost on light duty and the only way they can receive compensation is an injury report being filled out and a doctor placing them on light duty. Did she receive any compensation for her lost hours of work? All employee must know that it is a right of theirs to be able to call an injury in and if the management is standing in the way of this happening they have the right to go around them and make it happen. A call to the Safety Manager should have been made. Red, are these things being brought up at Safety meetings? If there not, I would start there to see why management feels the way they do and I would get the Safety Manager involved in these meetings because it sounds like attitudes need to be changed. We should all know that Safety is an attitude and that attitude needs to start with management. Thank you.
Its happening in every building, you may just be blind to it. Its no coincidence thats is just happening in my building or Reds building!!!

justmy2cents - I'm hearing that there is a clause where UPS can hold off your annual raise. the union is not immune from what is going on with the economy. UPS can save 5x the amount of money by holding back the FT union raise vs. pay freezes for management. Good luck

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

justmy2cents - I'm hearing that there is a clause where UPS can hold off your annual raise. the union is not immune from what is going on with the economy. UPS can save 5x the amount of money by holding back the FT union raise vs. pay freezes for management. Good luck

I think you may be confusing withholding the raise to the raise being diverted toward the Health and Welfare fund. Yes, with either scenario we don't get the raise in our checks but, in the latter, we do get the benefits of the raise in our benefits.

Channahon

Here's a great article of how the Steelworkers union and their current members are helping their members in these tough times.

Steelworkers union to distribute profit-sharing money to laid-off members
Friday, February 13, 2009
By Len Boselovic, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Union workers at U.S. Steel Corp. will give up about $120 of their fourth-quarter profit-sharing payment, distributing the money to more than 4,000 of their colleagues who were laid off because of dismal conditions in the industry.

The gesture means the laid-off workers will get payments equal to what they would have received had they been on the job for the entire quarter, said United Steelworkers union Vice President Tom Conway, who chairs the union bargaining committee in negotiations with U.S. Steel. Mr. Conway proposed the plan and said it was supported by presidents of union locals at U.S. Steel plants.

"We've got 4,000 members on the street, and this will be meaningful to them," Mr. Conway said. "We think it's the right thing to do."

They will be joined on the unemployment line by another 1,200 workers at U.S. Steel's operations in Lone Star, Texas. The company announced yesterday that it was temporarily idling the tubular products plant. Spokesman John Armstrong said about 800 union and 400 nonunion workers were employed at the plant. They will be called back based on order levels, he said.

U.S. Steel laid off 675 union workers at plants in the United States and Canada in mid-November, then laid off another 3,500 union workers three weeks later, when it idled steel plants near Detroit and St. Louis and an iron ore plant in Minnesota.
Last week, it said 500 nonunion workers had accepted early-retirement offers.

Many of the union workers who lost their jobs don't qualify for supplemental unemployment benefits because they have not been on the job for at least three years, Mr. Conway said.
The extra money "can help with their mortgage, rent or other daily living expenses during these difficult economic times," Mr. Conway wrote in a Feb. 10 e-mail to local presidents and other USW officials.

Profit-sharing payments are determined by an hourly rate multiplied by the number of hours a USW member worked during the quarter, typically 480 for full-time employees. U.S. Steel has not calculated the hourly rate yet. Mr. Conway said that based on his estimate of what it will be, reducing the rate by about 25 cents an hour -- or $120 for each worker currently on the job -- would allow those laid off to receive as much as those who worked the whole quarter.

Mr. Conway expects to get the final profit-sharing figure from U.S. Steel in a few days. He came up with the idea after concluding that the laid-off workers may not be called back for some time.

U.S. steel production fell 54 percent in December, and domestic mills are currently operating at 45 percent of capacity vs. 92 percent a year ago.
"I haven't ever seen anything like this," Mr. Conway said. "The way this industry is looking now, I won't have this [profit sharing] problem for a few quarters."

Len Boselovic can be reached at [email protected] or 412-263-1941.
First published on February 13, 2009 at 12:00 am

satellitedriver

Here's a great article of how the Steelworkers union and their current members are helping their members in these tough times.

Steelworkers union to distribute profit-sharing money to laid-off members
Friday, February 13, 2009
By Len Boselovic, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Union workers at U.S. Steel Corp. will give up about $120 of their fourth-quarter profit-sharing payment, distributing the money to more than 4,000 of their colleagues who were laid off because of dismal conditions in the industry.

The gesture means the laid-off workers will get payments equal to what they would have received had they been on the job for the entire quarter, said United Steelworkers union Vice President Tom Conway, who chairs the union bargaining committee in negotiations with U.S. Steel. Mr. Conway proposed the plan and said it was supported by presidents of union locals at U.S. Steel plants.

"We've got 4,000 members on the street, and this will be meaningful to them," Mr. Conway said. "We think it's the right thing to do."

They will be joined on the unemployment line by another 1,200 workers at U.S. Steel's operations in Lone Star, Texas. The company announced yesterday that it was temporarily idling the tubular products plant. Spokesman John Armstrong said about 800 union and 400 nonunion workers were employed at the plant. They will be called back based on order levels, he said.

U.S. Steel laid off 675 union workers at plants in the United States and Canada in mid-November, then laid off another 3,500 union workers three weeks later, when it idled steel plants near Detroit and St. Louis and an iron ore plant in Minnesota.
Last week, it said 500 nonunion workers had accepted early-retirement offers.

Many of the union workers who lost their jobs don't qualify for supplemental unemployment benefits because they have not been on the job for at least three years, Mr. Conway said.
The extra money "can help with their mortgage, rent or other daily living expenses during these difficult economic times," Mr. Conway wrote in a Feb. 10 e-mail to local presidents and other USW officials.

Profit-sharing payments are determined by an hourly rate multiplied by the number of hours a USW member worked during the quarter, typically 480 for full-time employees. U.S. Steel has not calculated the hourly rate yet. Mr. Conway said that based on his estimate of what it will be, reducing the rate by about 25 cents an hour -- or $120 for each worker currently on the job -- would allow those laid off to receive as much as those who worked the whole quarter.

Mr. Conway expects to get the final profit-sharing figure from U.S. Steel in a few days. He came up with the idea after concluding that the laid-off workers may not be called back for some time.

U.S. steel production fell 54 percent in December, and domestic mills are currently operating at 45 percent of capacity vs. 92 percent a year ago.
"I haven't ever seen anything like this," Mr. Conway said. "The way this industry is looking now, I won't have this [profit sharing] problem for a few quarters."

Len Boselovic can be reached at [email protected] or 412-263-1941.
First published on February 13, 2009 at 12:00 am
I was proud to be a member of USW and your post reinforces that feeling.
3 decades have past since I held my card with them.
Lone Star Steel is about to lay off 1,200 workers and idle the plant.
This will have a great impact farther than the small, remote community in Texas where it is located.
My prayers are with them.
UPSer's, of all stripes, count your lucky stars.

upssup

I must be spoiled up here in the frozen tundra. If one of my mechanics gets injured (teamster or machinist) and I did not report it. I would be fired on the spot! I am a former mechanic myself and yes I went to the "other side" In no way do I regret my decision to do so. There are pros and cons to both. Main thing is if we do not all work together and do our job it will not matter union or not we could all be out of work!

I must be spoiled up here in the frozen tundra. If one of my mechanics gets injured (teamster or machinist) and I did not report it. I would be fired on the spot! I am a former mechanic myself and yes I went to the "other side" In no way do I regret my decision to do so. There are pros and cons to both. Main thing is if we do not all work together and do our job it will not matter union or not we could all be out of work!
You are right we do need to work together.

I was proud to be a member of USW and your post reinforces that feeling.
3 decades have past since I held my card with them.
Lone Star Steel is about to lay off 1,200 workers and idle the plant.
This will have a great impact farther than the small, remote community in Texas where it is located.
My prayers are with them.
UPSer's, of all stripes, count your lucky stars.
Good for the USW , that is the American way that has sadly dissipated in so many ways.