Teamsters for a Democratic Union

Kevin211

from what i understand they were started a few yrs ago to "watch" the ibt. Some people think they are a bad group of people because they "call out" the union and hoffa on issues.
From what i can see they are the only group tha post facts. They post alot of good info.

browned out

I do not think UPS or the Teamsters brass like them very much. they are very informative. Get rid of Hoffa and get our full time jobs back.

TDU's website and info needs to be given to the masses.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Sign up and register and order the Concoy which is there paper they print quarterly. I pass it out at work often, sometimes it costs money to get people involved.

oldpaddy

Sign up and register and order the Concoy which is there paper they print quarterly. I pass it out at work often, sometimes it costs money to get people involved.

Yeah, I just joined up for a year. The way I figure it we need as much help as possible.
I still don't understand why the union is dropping the ball. You'd think now would be the perfect time to flash some muscle and get our brothers united, but I guess that's just wishful thinking.

705red

Browncafe Steward
This union lost its muscle when Carey left! He had years of dealing wth companies like UPS, Hoffa had years of representing corporations like UPS.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Carey=1997 strike= start of Fedex Ground=lost vol we still haven't recovered

Another wanna be rocket scientist spewing mis information, I will accept your apology when you are done reading this link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FedEx_Ground

Fedex did not get in ot the ground operation until 2000, a full 3 years after the strike, looks like management incompetence lost that business and your looking for a scape goat. Keep busting out those routes, thats what is losing our business, not a srike 13 years ago. You must be an eeoc hire!

Another wanna be rocket scientist spewing mis information, I will accept your apology when you are done reading this link.

Fedex did not get in ot the ground operation until 2000, a full 3 years after the strike, looks like management incompetence lost that business and your looking for a scape goat. Keep busting out those routes, thats what is losing our business, not a srike 13 years ago. You must be an eeoc hire!

Why don't you re-read your link. Who did Fred S contact and in what year did that happen...1997...what happened in 1997. Fred S had no ambition to do anything but express so, even though the two companies merged in 2000...the talks started in 1997. Kinda hard for a former teamster who is retired to break out a route don't you think. As to your last comment, I hope your not bringing race into this as my Italian-Polish heritage just couldn't take the abuse.

UnconTROLLed

perfection

Scientifically, using basic physics, the chain wave if someone yanks one end, or a cannon ball into swimming pool, the ripples will continue for some time after the splash.

"In 1997, Fred S, founder of FedEx, contacted Dan Sullivan, co-founder of RPS and now president of Caliber Systems, Inc. about merging the two companies."

Do you really think this is a coincidence that 1997 is when Fred went after ground volume? No! Cause/effect in the business world can take months and years to fully develop or evolve

MR_Vengeance

United Parcel Survivor
Why don't you re-read your link. Who did Fred S contact and in what year did that happen...1997...what happened in 1997. Fred S had no ambition to do anything but express so, even though the two companies merged in 2000...the talks started in 1997. Kinda hard for a former teamster who is retired to break out a route don't you think. As to your last comment, I hope your not bringing race into this as my Italian-Polish heritage just couldn't take the abuse.

it was ups that gambled and lost. I don't care if old fred got into ground back in 1987, if the company didn't play hard ass then it didn't have to get that far.

705red

Browncafe Steward

Since your retired maybe you cant see that the volume is more than it was during the 97 strike. Is it possible tha Fedex was looking to move into other apsects of shipping prior to the strike? Or did they get in to freight because of the early 90s strike held by Freight?

Whats a better sausage? Polish or Italian?

tieguy

Banned
Since your retired maybe you cant see that the volume is more than it was during the 97 strike. Is it possible tha Fedex was looking to move into other apsects of shipping prior to the strike? Or did they get in to freight because of the early 90s strike held by Freight?

Whats a better sausage? Polish or Italian?

it would have been difficult to get into the ground business prior to 97 since approximately 85 percent of all shippers were single carrier. The strike changed that and shippers no longer put all their eggs in one basket. This change gave Fred S the opportunity he was looking for.

your 97 strike cost you approximately 3 to 5 million packages in todays world. It cost you a lot more in teamster jobs then you ever gained with combo jobs.

Red I believe you owe someone here the apology you had asked for.

705red

Browncafe Steward
it would have been difficult to get into the ground business prior to 97 since approximately 85 percent of all shippers were single carrier. The strike changed that and shippers no longer put all their eggs in one basket. This change gave Fred S the opportunity he was looking for.

your 97 strike cost you approximately 3 to 5 million packages in todays world. It cost you a lot more in teamster jobs then you ever gained with combo jobs.

Red I believe you owe someone here the apology you had asked for.
You know RPS was in business during this time frame you speak of. Just as Watkins/Viking which Fedex bought both companies. Just as UPS purchased the old Emery freight/Menlo which is now CSI along with Overnite which is now UPS Freight.

Fedex ground averages about 3.5 million packages a day now, 13 years after the strike with many of these packages being customers that left later and well after the strike. A lot of them left because of the sevice, at our prices we need to supply a better level of service, this is what this company was founded on. To blame the loss packages on a strike years ago is only an attempt to deflect the real issue at hand.

Ups is a more profitable company today than it was before 1997 with a lot of that coming off the back of the hard working men and women of this company, not from the board room! While the board room has added some value, none of it has happened under our current CEO.

Im glad you have a close relationship with Fred so you know what he was thinking. Tie take your blinders off, routes are cut, drivers are barely getting to business on time to deliver and in many cases customers now receive a delivery and pick up or delivery after their pick up. Which is not good business. We have people being sent home because some suit that never did this job says his computer knows best says so.

A happy emplyee will do almost anything, a disgruntled employee wont go above and beyond, this is common knowledge, yet everyday more and more employees become disgruntled with no attempt to correct the problems from our so called leaders.

Your turn!

tieguy

Banned
You know RPS was in business during this time frame you speak of. Just as Watkins/Viking which Fedex bought both companies.Your turn!

Agreed RPS was in business and struggling. Their only hope was to play up our labor troubles at contract time to get a few packages. I think most people here remember that RPS lost the business back to us as quickly as they gained it.

The advent of fdx into ground may have been inevitable. I think the 97 stike probably hastened their entry. Without the strike it may have been years before fdx made the move.

my point being that ups would have grown a lot more and created a lot more teamster jobs before fdx eventually started moving into the ground business.

I fully understand that you folks consider 97 a great victory. I honestly think the gains are minimal if at all. You look at the teamster jobs lost, the teamster revenue lost as a result. Look at the pension contributions lost from those jobs.
then look at the eventual buyout of the Central states pension plan the very reason carey supposedly struck and you have to wonder what the teamsters really gained?

combo jobs? Lower paying full time jobs? The combo job was what the tduers were supposedly apposed to. Here again you have another job where people do the same work as full time insiders yet make less.
sub contracting? Played up but actually got worse immediately after 97. this is one that actually got better in the past five years. I almost never see contractors pulling loads anymore where I frequently did between 97 and 2002.

So the question in my mind is how many more packages would ups have and how many more full time teamster jobs would they have if the 97 strike had not happened. My guess about 3 to five million.

deleted9

You know RPS was in business during this time frame you speak of. Just as Watkins/Viking which Fedex bought both companies. Just as UPS purchased the old Emery freight/Menlo which is now CSI along with Overnite which is now UPS Freight.

Fedex ground averages about 3.5 million packages a day now, 13 years after the strike with many of these packages being customers that left later and well after the strike. A lot of them left because of the sevice, at our prices we need to supply a better level of service, this is what this company was founded on. To blame the loss packages on a strike years ago is only an attempt to deflect the real issue at hand.

Ups is a more profitable company today than it was before 1997 with a lot of that coming off the back of the hard working men and women of this company, not from the board room! While the board room has added some value, none of it has happened under our current CEO.

Im glad you have a close relationship with Fred so you know what he was thinking. Tie take your blinders off, routes are cut, drivers are barely getting to business on time to deliver and in many cases customers now receive a delivery and pick up or delivery after their pick up. Which is not good business. We have people being sent home because some suit that never did this job says his computer knows best says so.

A happy emplyee will do almost anything, a disgruntled employee wont go above and beyond, this is common knowledge, yet everyday more and more employees become disgruntled with no attempt to correct the problems from our so called leaders.

Your turn!

A happy employee will do almost anything.......... but no matter how much the company gives, how much money they pay, no matter how good they improve benefits..... it will never be enough for some people...... i have heard drivers say that they won't submit sales leads because they do not want anymore packages or work......... that has got to be the dumbest thing i ever heard, multiply that by how many drivers think that way and the answer to that is lay off's .......... I do agree that the current CEO hasn't done much but take care of himself with the large pay increases he received. The main purpose of the board of directors is to make decisions that will take care of the stock holders......

tieguy

Banned
As to the original intent behind this thread I view the tdu group as the opposing party of the teamsters. Right now to me it appears you have a fairly accountable union process.

Hoffa and his group in charge and TDU watching every move he makes and calling him on anything , anywhere that hoffa comes up short.

My question then is what happens if TDU's candidate wins the next election. Will TDU provide the same service when their guy is the one screwing up?

outlaw

As to the original intent behind this thread I view the tdu group as the opposing party of the teamsters. Right now to me it appears you have a fairly accountable union process.

Hoffa and his group in charge and TDU watching every move he makes and calling him on anything , anywhere that hoffa comes up short.

My question then is what happens if TDU's candidate wins the next election. Will TDU provide the same service when their guy is the one screwing up?