Teamsters for a Democratic Union

705red

Browncafe Steward
I make a comment and instead of answering logically you try to belittle me and go off on tangents. Well, let's have a go at your statement. I have never made a claim to "know it all". Maybe you think that but I don't and, unless you are a universal genius you don't "know it all" either. Next, "how many drivers worked more overtime?" I don't know do you? "How many drivers got injured because of excessive overtime? I don't know, do you? . If you read my comment instead of going off on a rant I said most of the profits last year were a result of cost cutting and not growing the business domestically. U.S. daily domestic volume increased less than 1% in the 1st qtr this year over last year, the first year over year growth in more tha two years. I'm not going off on a tangent...this info is in the story "no surprises" located on the front page of the brown cafe'

I dont mean you any disrespect and I thank you for your service to this company and as a union member for many years. I can tell you that there is at least 6 drivers out on injury in my center right now. All of them resulted last year, late in the year. Each one of us have been dragged through the mud by UPS and Liberty Mutual one way or another. Many of us filed 9.5s to get the work taken off, yet we were all working 10, 11 and 12 hours a day. 5 days a week and these hours will take a toll on you over time.

People that I talk to that are retired find it hard to believe how this company is now run. I have a driver that has been harassed and even threatened because he was over allowed. This driver has one of the highest stops per hour in the center, his new time study just raised his dispatch 1.61 for 200 stops. How he is a scratch driver to a little bonus, any idea how many mangement people apoligized to him? 0

His 9.5 grievances are going to panel, he is owed close to $2,000 in grievance pay, and still the company cant pay him what hes owed. Imagine how much money they could have saved by time studying him instead of riding him blaming it on him.

NDA volume was down last year, but overall package volume was up in certain parts of the country. My pieces went up as did many of the drivers in my area, and I did steal all the Fedex business I could, until pickups started getting missed because I couldnt fit it all and no other drivers in my area had room, causing business to go back to fedex, not the 97 strike.

Now this is a rant, this company does not care about us the employees or the customers, only the stock holders!

tieguy

Banned
There's always a percentage of our shippers who are dissatisfied and are looking to jump to another carrier. There's no better time for them to sample our competor's service (from our perspective) than during the market chaos of the '97 Strike. Fedex couldn't possibly handle the sudden influx of packages and was overwhelmed. Their systems malfunctioned. Shippers were furious. And some would-be shippers were told, "don't even bother giving us (Fedex) your packages. We can't handle what we've already got."

Some of our disgruntled shippers return to us even in normal times after they sample the competition. I assume even a higher percentage return in chaotic times.

I'm not interested in arguing as to which side won that stupid ass strike. My point is simple . Both side lost a lot as a result of it.

deleted9

There is NO accountability at UPS and there has not been for some time now. Management gets caught fudging time cards to lower costs and they get moved to another building to do it again. Drivers are putting on more miles daily because of the splits from the busted ut routes are no where near them. Drivers get paid more triple time because of over 9.5s from being over dispatched. Why do you continue to post on a subject that you dont fully understand? This isnt the old UPS you might have become custom to.

Cost is cost ....... then and now, the 3 biggest costs to the company are 1) Payroll, 2) Automotive and 3) Compensation Cost......if you check the center stats you will probably be very suprised to find that the total miles for the center has decreased from last year and the years before that, as far as 9.5 hours yes the business has changed with the air, on time network and so forth, but to blame injuries on working over 9.5 hrs is just a copout...... and something else for you to complain about. And as far as customers going to fed ex because your package car was to full..... give me a break.... the perfect money maker is package cars go out full and come back full...... and we all know that is the exception, no the norm.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
Over all miles are down 2-5% per week in my center. Here if you are not picking up at least 63 pcs per day, we make no money on the route. We have had one injury in 18 months and no lost time. Heck our whole district is about the same with a few exceptions.

So Red, sorry your argument doesn't fly at my center and district. I think you have created your own special He** in your local and you cry wolf way to often.

Red, saw your rant about UPS not caring about employees, customers, only shareholders. When will you understand that you are just a number whether it be UPS, the Teamsters or the government. Nothing more and nothing less and, even shareowners are just numbers, certificate numbers.

tieguy

Banned
some truth to that. The ups job benifit package is a pretty darn good one and economic times like the present remind us of how fortunate we are to have this job.

Ultimately though the organization will look at us as tools to achieve the business objectives they determine need to be met. Sometimes we fool ourelves into thinking our value is more then it is or that the organization should somehow consult us before it makes a move.

Tie,
When you retire, give or take a year and they will start to forget your name. No disrespect intended...it is just reality. Doesn't matter whether you are mgmt or hourly. Oh yes there are some who stick out and will be remembered as being good or bad..but that is not the norm, most are forgotten and the new generation takes over.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Tie,
When you retire, give or take a year and they will start to forget your name. No disrespect intended...it is just reality. Doesn't matter whether you are mgmt or hourly. Oh yes there are some who stick out and will be remembered as being good or bad..but that is not the norm, most are forgotten and the new generation takes over.
give or take a month in my experience.
People you work with are associates ... not friends or relatives.

tieguy

Banned
Tie,

no doubt. If I had any thoughts the company might collapse when I go on vacation I find the buildings are still standing when I return.:funny:

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
give or take a month in my experience.
People you work with are associates ... not friends or relatives.
+1
I have a pretty good relationship with everybody, but there's only one guy at work that I consider an actual friend. When I'm gone I wont miss the job or 99% of the people I worked with for 20+ years, and I'm sure they will feel the same way.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Tie,

When we get together outside of owrk over a cold one or when we get our families together or a golf outing we always talk about the great people we have worked for. Of course we also talk about the bad ones, but we always hope that the good ones are enjoying life after UPS because they truly deserve it. You know what we are hoping for the bad ones.

deleted9

When we get together outside of owrk over a cold one or when we get our families together or a golf outing we always talk about the great people we have worked for. Of course we also talk about the bad ones, but we always hope that the good ones are enjoying life after UPS because they truly deserve it. You know what we are hoping for the bad ones.

your opinion on who was good and who you consider bad means NOTHING..... ever wonder what they think of you!!!!

705red

Browncafe Steward
your opinion on who was good and who you consider bad means NOTHING..... ever wonder what they think of you!!!!

Are you sure your retired? You sound like one of those peopel that were let go for doing something wrong. You must be one of the sups that no one has anything good to say about.

rod

Retired 22 years
Whenever I'm on vacation I believe my coworkers think of me - - - as their stealing all my carwash supplies!!! :knockedout:

I've got a couple pair of rubber boots and gloves and a couple carwash brushes you can borrow if you need to. I pulled them out of the dumpster just before a big audit back when, believe it or not , UPS had some "excess" problems.:peaceful:

deleted9

Are you sure your retired? You sound like one of those peopel that were let go for doing something wrong. You must be one of the sups that no one has anything good to say about.

you have no clue...... looks like you are just fishing for information, pretty sad actually, aren't you the one who said you have been out of work since dec 09, i'm sure the people you work with both management and hourly have nothing but good things to say about you.....go figure

705red

Browncafe Steward
you have no clue...... looks like you are just fishing for information, pretty sad actually, aren't you the one who said you have been out of work since dec 09, i'm sure the people you work with both management and hourly have nothing but good things to say about you.....go figure

I DO NOT care what management ever has to say about me! Im off because of incompetence with UPS and Liberty Mutual, but hey they want to pay me over $1200 a week to go to therapy twice a week and delay this whole process who am I to complain?

Whats sad is management or washed up ex hacks must continue to post in a topic that only Teamsters should be commenting in. Dont you have a bingo hall to go visit or depends to pick up?

tieguy

Banned
I DO NOT care what management ever has to say about me! Im off because of incompetence with UPS and Liberty Mutual, but hey they want to pay me over $1200 a week to go to therapy twice a week and delay this whole process who am I to complain?

Whats sad is management or washed up ex hacks must continue to post in a topic that only Teamsters should be commenting in. Dont you have a bingo hall to go visit or depends to pick up?

And stop your whining?