Teamsters local 623 trustee Gray throws out Vote No fliers in UPS PHL airport

PHLtroublemaker

this local union offical does not know simple labor law!!
nlrb charges were filed!!!
its bad enough local 623 leadership is lying to their membership about contract information.
voting no has saved thousands of members and retirees from high co pays and a plan that even Hoffa said will not last!! to the rest of my brothers enjoy your healthcare improvements made possible by locals voting no!!

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.

its bad enough local 623 leadership is lying to their membership about contract information.
voting no has saved thousands of members and retirees from high co pays and a plan that even Hoffa said will not last!! to the rest of my brothers enjoy your healthcare improvements made possible by locals voting no!!
So what's the big deal?

Typical Old Guard crap. This is why I support TDU so much.

PHLtroublemaker

So what's the big deal?
Do you think it's ok that labor laws are being broken by local leadership? The laws are there to follow. If the locals vote yes stance was so strong and of truth why worry about a vote no flier that was lawfully placed in a lunchroom!! I'll tell you why....
Because they have been lying and they don't want members to see the truth!! Well we got that taken care of in local 623!!
The membership voted no 2 times already!!

Sent using BrownCafe App

Do you think it's ok that labor laws are being broken by local leadership? The laws are there to follow. If the locals vote yes stance was so strong and of truth why worry about a vote no flier that was lawfully placed in a lunchroom!! I'll tell you why....
Because they have been lying and they don't want members to see the truth!! Well we got that taken care of in local 623!!
The membership voted no 2 times already!!

Sent using BrownCafe App
I might be missing the point. What did he do?

PHLtroublemaker

Hey threw out fliers ... Membership has the right to distribute fliers or talk union shop in non work areas Union leadership or the company throwing them out is not allowed. Charges were filed with the NLRB

Sent using BrownCafe App

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less

If you're going to take on UPS and IBT, you gotta be smarter than video taping on company property.

Same thing goes with D. Costello. There's nothing wrong with the position you guys are taking (although I disagree), but damn you guys need to be smarter than this.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
this local union official does not know simple labor law!!

He might know how to spell....

So what's the big deal?

Exactly.

Videotaping in a UPS building? No,No,No.

Not a good idea.

This is why I support TDU so much.

You deny it.... But, you are TDU.

Do you think it's ok that labor laws are being broken by local leadership?

Nope.

Thats why you filed NLRB charges.... and posted it on Facebook.

He threw out flyers ... Membership has the right to distribute flyers or talk union shop in non work areas.

And if proven....

The flyers, will have to be replaced.

-Bug-

upschuck

Company policy states you can not solicit for anything on UPS property, all union activity must be posted on the union bulletin board. So if this is UPS owned/leased property, whoever put them there is breaking UPS rules. Now if UPS doesn't own/lease property, then shame on him.

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
You deny it.... But, you are TDU.

-Bug-

Not TDU. So sorry if it crushes your perception. But I have never been and probably will never be TDU.

So you need to start thinking of different ways to attack me.

I know, maybe have some provable facts to back up your statements.

Not TDU. So sorry if it crushes your perception. But I have never been and probably will never be TDU.

So you need to start thinking of different ways to attack me.

I know, maybe have some provable facts to back up your statements.
Please don't be upset on this most holy of days. This is a day of happiness. I will pray for you brother. Jesus has risen for you and us all.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Company policy states you can not solicit for anything on UPS property, all union activity must be posted on the union bulletin board. So if this is UPS owned/leased property, whoever put them there is breaking UPS rules. Now if UPS doesn't own/lease property, then shame on him.

This might be company policy, but is entirely against the spirit of the protections under the NLRA. There was actually a fairly significant case in the early 2000's regarding a TDU member that was also a UPS Driver passing out the Convoy Dispatch in a "mixed use" work area off-the-clock. UPS sent the TDU member a warning letter and their case went to the NLRB; UPS had to remove the discipline from the member's record.

The case file number for a good example of this is 07-CA-041784 from Saginaw, MI and is on NLRB.gov

Long story short, you can absolutely hand out union related material/handbills/grievance forms/etc. or petitions as long as you're not in a work area and not on the clock. A mixed used area consists of a place where employees congregate and might be on the clock (ie waiting for instructions/assignments). You could stand near the time clocks and catch members punching in before their start time or use the break rooms. You cannot, however, go "truck to truck" or interrupt members while working.

Video taping is a different story. I'm not familiar with any NLRB case upholding an employee's right to video tape on company premises. The only thing I could thing of would be some sort of whistle blower protection for egregious safety violations but this doesn't apply -- other people witnessing the 623 trustee would be just as effective as a video and doesn't carry the risk of getting fired.