Teamsters Pension Fund to cut Benefits 50%+ as Fund Could Bankrupt Govt. PBGC

Catatonic

Nine Lives

“This is not the union I became part of in the ’70s,”

"Prepare for a loud and possibly black swan style backlash as the union retirees and current members start to bail out of any union promoted investment program and demand the independence to vote on right to work laws in those states where the union exploitation has led to the demise of many a retiree’s nest egg at the most crucial and vulnerable part of their lives."

Last edited:

barnyard

KTM rider
Anyone that took anything more than 8th grade math, should have learned that a guaranteed benefit pension with a shrinking workforce is unsustainable. I graduated HS in 1982 and knew then that pensions would be a thing of the past by the time I got to that point.

If the Teamsters were smart, they would figure out what it would take to convert to a defined contribution and allow individuals to screw themselves out of their pensions.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Anyone that took anything more than 8th grade math, should have learned that a guaranteed benefit pension with a shrinking workforce is unsustainable. I graduated HS in 1982 and knew then that pensions would be a thing of the past by the time I got to that point.

If the Teamsters were smart, they would figure out what it would take to convert to a defined contribution and allow individuals to screw themselves out of their pensions.
Individual buyouts of years that are in the CS fund that would still count towards overall retirement from the UPS fund maybe for those still working here to eliminate UPS future liabilities that's written in the contract?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Imagine how wealthy the retired drivers would be if UPS had put the pension payments into a 401k for each Teamster employee!

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

I agree and disagree. Shrinking workforce should have nothing to do with it. That's a Ponzi scheme. If the plan was managed right it would be fine but people were over promised for the amount of money that was going In.

Now I'm the one getting screwed. $400 a week going in on my behalf and I'll be very lucky to get 3k a month out of it.

PT Car Washer

I agree and disagree. Shrinking workforce should have nothing to do with it. That's a Ponzi scheme. If the plan was managed right it would be fine but people were over promised for the amount of money that was going In.

Now I'm the one getting screwed. $400 a week going in on my behalf and I'll be very lucky to get 3k a month out of it.
There is ne reason a FT driver can not put $400 a week into a personal retirement account. Unless he is living too high on the hog or taking a lot of days off every time he can.

Brownslave688

There is ne reason a FT driver can not put $400 a week into a personal retirement account. Unless he is living too high on the hog or taking a lot of days off every time he can.
I never said they couldn't but there was no reason previous drivers couldn't put money away either. Also really depends on where you live.

What I'm saying is the company is putting a ton of money into the pension on my behalf that I'll never see the return on that I would if it were put directly into my 401k

Last edited:

PT Car Washer

I never said they couldn't but there was no reason previous drivers couldn't money away either. Also really depends on where you live.

What I'm saying is the company is putting a ton of money into the pension on my behalf that I'll never see the return on that I would if it were put directly into my 401k
That is because all the money UPS puts into your pension fund is being spent paying for the current retirees.

Brownslave688

That is because all the money UPS puts into your pension fund is being spent paying for the current retirees.
Yes which is the definition of a
Ponzi scheme. That's why I say I'm getting screwed. They over promised guys 20 years ago. There wasn't near enough money going in for what they were being promised.

PT Car Washer

Yes which is the definition of a
Ponzi scheme. That's why I say I'm getting screwed. They over promised guys 20 years ago. There wasn't near enough money going in for what they were being promised.
Vote for me and I will raise your pension. My dad collects $900 a month from Central States. Over 80 (87) so he will not be cut but a long way from $3000 a month.