Teamsters Pension Restructure With Cuts?

twoweeled

I'm not sure if anyone is outta the woods on this one! We all have to stick together, or they'll pick us ALL apart,,,,p i e c e by p i e c e. Just like we let the retirees take it in the rear with the health insurance increase, because we feel it doesn't affect us. It will affect us, sooner than later. I'm sure it's just a matter of time (short time) till active employees start paying for some of their health insurance, which will surely increase when that door opens. Sorry about the tangent.
We have to stick together on these problems. We have (and continue to) given away too much now. It isn't ever coming back.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I'm sure it's just a matter of time (short time) till active employees start paying for some of their health insurance, which will surely increase when that door opens.

We already do.

Starting in 2018, Teamcare members have a $200/$400 deductible.

With 4 in the family, I do expect to have to pay the full deductible. That will cost me $33/mo plus my copays.

I expect my insurance to cost me $50/mo starting in 2018. So, yes, we already pay for insurance.

twoweeled

We already do.

Starting in 2018, Teamcare members have a $200/$400 deductible.

With 4 in the family, I do expect to have to pay the full deductible. That will cost me $33/mo plus my copays.

I expect my insurance to cost me $50/mo starting in 2018. So, yes, we already pay for insurance.
I was referring to the monthly premium. I'm aware of the copays and deductibles. But I was not aware of the oncoming $50 a month for Active employees starting in 2018. What state are you in? I have heard nothing about his in South Western Calif.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I was referring to the monthly premium. I'm aware of the copays and deductibles. But I was not aware of the oncoming $50 a month for Active employees starting in 2018. What state are you in? I have heard nothing about his in South Western Calif.

I am in Teamcare. See next post.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!

And to clarify the $50 per month I quoted, I was referring to my yearly out of pocket expenses for our "free" healthcare.

I expect to pay around $600 per year out of pocket which equates to $50 per month, not a $50 per month premium.

twoweeled

And to clarify the $50 per month I quoted, I was referring to my yearly out of pocket expenses for our "free" healthcare.

I expect to pay around $600 per year out of pocket which equates to $50 per month, not a $50 per month premium.
Roger that. What I meant, and I still mean. I'm "guessing" in the next contract, we will be paying a monthly premium on top of what we are paying now. I wouldn't be surprised if it were around $50 a month (to start). With increases yearly to follow. UPS has got the retirees and management to pay more. Active employees,,,,will be next!! good ol "divide and conquer".
Just my thoughts!

twoweeled

The union controls the healthcare which means they would have sole control over whether we pay premiums or not.

It would not be a contractual issue.
I don't know for sure, but I think your going to find, your %100 wrong on that one. I know what we were told prior to the last contract vote, but I don't believe for one second, UPS doesn't have their foot in there. One way or another. Previously, if we were fired from our job, UPS would be decide if we were able to retire with our medical benefits or not (assuming you retired after being fired). Do you think we don't have to concern ourselves with that possibly happening to us, if we get fired now? I don't know the answer, but I think we're going to find, we may still lose our benefits, from our own union (assuming what you say is correct). I'll repeat. I don't know the answer. But even though we were told repeatably (during contract BS), UPS wants out of the healthcare biz. I think UPS just got outta the providing good insurance biz! I'm guessing they still have a say. I could be wrong! Let me know what you now.
I say active employees will be paying a monthly premium. I hope I'm wrong.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
The union controls the healthcare which means they would have sole control over whether we pay premiums or not.

It would not be a contractual issue.

Incorrect.

The union controls the healthcare but UPS pays for it.

Teamcare could tell UPS, that to keep the same benefits after 2018, UPS needs to increase the contribution by $50 per month.

UPS then would negotiate, in the CBA, what they would pay. It is a possibility for UPS to negotiate a monthly premium that would have to be ratified by the members.

Healthcare payment is a negotiated part of the contract.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Incorrect.

The union controls the healthcare but UPS pays for it.

Teamcare could tell UPS, that to keep the same benefits after 2018, UPS needs to increase the contribution by $50 per month.

UPS then would negotiate, in the CBA, what they would pay. It is a possibility for UPS to negotiate a monthly premium that would have to be ratified by the members.

Healthcare payment is a negotiated part of the contract.

While the healthcare contribution from the company to the union is part of the contract, the decision as to whether we end up paying for part of our premiums would be the union's.

Teamcare currently has a healthy reserve, thanks in part to reduced spending and our group buying power. I don't see that changing to the point where we would need to start paying toward our coverage.

twoweeled

While the healthcare contribution from the company to the union is part of the contract, the decision as to whether we end up paying for part of our premiums would be the union's.

Teamcare currently has a healthy reserve, thanks in part to reduced spending and our group buying power. I don't see that changing to the point where we would need to start paying toward our coverage.
I really hope your right, but I doubt it. I'm more in the Mugarolla camp. Call it an indirect call from UPS, if it fits better. But I can easily hear, " UPS is paying X amount in contributions. If you want to keep the same level of benefits, there will have to be a monthly premium in the new contract". I think it's still UPS's call whether or not to even make contributions to our healthcare in certain situations, ie discharge/firing from the company and disability going into longterm (past 6 months). My point being, UPS still has their hand in there, just not in there to the point, where UPS has to increase the contributions if needed. They are (from what I can see) in a very sweet position, AGAIN!!!