Discussion in 'UPS Union Issues' started by johnbrown1861, Oct 2, 2012.

1. johnbrown1861

johnbrown1861 New Member

What does the union really do? From my prospective it collects dues and that's about it.
  2. wgf46

wgf46 Member

They do more than that, I'd really hate to think where we would be without them !!! Sure, it's not perfect, can't imagine the working conditions without the UNION support. Some places do not need a Union, UPS is one of those conglomerations that does. In my opionion.
  3. upsman2940

upsman2940 New Member

What do you think you would have without them, and the members that paved the way for you! I think you wouldn't be asking the question without one or both of them.
  4. johnbrown1861

johnbrown1861 New Member

Hell the only time I see anyone from our local is once a year when they want my vote.
  5. Justaname

Justaname Member

You'd see them more often if you attended meetings. Even if it's only a couple a year.
  6. PT Stewie

PT Stewie "Big Fella"

For all there faults they do a great job !!! Ups would not pay us or provide us with the pay and benefits we enjoy without the IBT. I can only speak for the pt'ers .Where else can you get a part time job that pays $22.00 per hour ,has a pension of $60.00 per mos x years service, and have benefits second to none ( I pay ($0.00) for my prescriptions!) I dare you you to find a part time job that pays as well for 17 1/2 hours a week for reading frickin zip codes. And if you think that anyone would give that to you without the IBT you should be commited !!!
    My full time job has benefits that would be comparable @ $700.00 per month out of my pocket I pay $53.00 per month union dues .
  7. johnbrown1861

johnbrown1861 New Member

If i didn't work 10hrs a day i might.
  8. Monkey Butt

Monkey Butt You can call me Chappy Staff Member

And the flip side is that UPS is the way it is because of the Union.

The truth, which we will never know, is probably somewhere in the middle.
  9. Justaname

Justaname Member

I work 50 to 60 a week as well. Still make at least a couple of meetings. Just out of curiosity what is it that you're expecting them to do.
  10. PT Stewie

PT Stewie "Big Fella"

Go test the market check frickin Obama care see what the benefits you enjoy would cost ? Then see what a bargain your dues are. Or better yet apply for a job @ Fedex.
  11. johnbrown1861

johnbrown1861 New Member

If am correct the contract states that you can only be over 9.5 twice in five working days. I work 3 or 4 9.5's a week and have filed more greivances the I know, stewards just say file a greviance. Come on man. Can't remember when i've got off in 8 hours when i take a 8 hour day.
  12. 728ups

728ups offending people on the internet since 1995

if you have an 8 hour day and are over dispatched ,at 1400 send in a message that you have the request and have too much work. If you dont get help file for 2 hours penalty pay. I also use this chance to file on any supervisors working and any other nit picky things i can file on. Next request I am assured of an 8 hour day
  13. johnbrown1861

johnbrown1861 New Member

thanks 728ups, I been driving for 9 years and this is the first I've heard about this. once again where's my steward and why hasn't he told me this.
  14. Brownslave688

Brownslave688 You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

Lol wait til u lose your job an it'll happen or your just really lucky one of the two. I won't even waste my time listing all the other stuff the union does for u or I.
  15. Brownslave688

Brownslave688 You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

Here we just bring back what we need to for our 8 hour request. I've brought stops back at least 5 times this year.
  16. stink219

stink219 Well-Known Member

In simplest terms for "what does a union do?" FIGHT BACK!
  17. PiedmontSteward

PiedmontSteward RTW-4-Less

Rank-and-file members are the union. If you think the IBT only collects dues, you need to take a long hard look in the mirror.
  18. grgrcr88

grgrcr88 No It's not green grocer!

There is this book that is handed out every few years after negotiations and a vote. It has all the information in it that you need. It's called a CONTRACT!!!!! READ IT!!!!!

19. Justaname

Justaname Member

Yeah I'm not to sure about 9.5 language being only a part timer who only drives during peek. You could always give your BA a call to see what can be done, wouldnt hurt anyways.
  20. packageguy

packageguy Well-Known Member

I think you should your union hall, ask them why they don't come around. We see our business agents once a week, and if there any problems I call. They call right back,