Technology Rumor

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
I heard amongst the scuttlebutt in the office a few days ago, that there are already some cars in an area or two with a camera on the driver, possibly a test area for later deployment. Anyone else heard this? Either way, I've always figured that the day would come that we would see extreme monitoring. With telematics in place this is just the next step.

over9five

Staff member
I would be nervous with a camera pointed at me while driving. Nervousness leads to accidents.

IMHO, a camera on the driver is going too far.

I GOT ONE MORE

Personally, I don't believe UPS would decide to pursue implementation of cameras in its vehicle fleet. Imagine the dust build up on the lens over time.

But if they did, it likely would be of the variety where only the last 30 minutes or so, was continuously over-recorded.

That could be very useful information, such as the moments before a traffic accident or a crime against the driver like robbery or carjacking.

I could see it now. DIAD texting blamed for intersection accident......

or, suspects identified robbing UPS driver.

But buying and installing 95,000 of these would not fall into a cost cutting strategy.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

Electric Eye

Lyrics:

Up here in space
I'm looking down on you
My lasers trace
Everything you do

You think you've private lives
Think nothing of the kind
There is no true escape
I'm watching all the time

I'm made of metal
My circuits gleam
I am perpetual
I keep the country clean

I'm elected electric spy
I'm protected electric eye

Always in focus
You can't feel my stare
I zoom into you
but You don't know I'm there

I take a pride in probing all your secret moves
My tearless retina takes pictures that can prove

I'm made of metal
My circuits gleam
I am perpetual
I keep the country clean

I'm elected electric spy

Electric eye, in the sky
Feel my stare, always there
There's nothing you can do about it
Develop and expose
I feed upon your every thought
And so my power grows

I'm made of metal
My circuits gleam
I am perpetual
I keep the country clean

I'm elected electric spy
I'm elected electric spy
I'm elected protective, detective, Electric Eye!

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I would be honored to work with both of you.

Idiots.

While taking a dump on camera is not a choice I would make, I can understand the sentiment.

This company will often overlook the simplest and most obvious solutions to problems and instead choose to pole vault over mouse turds by spending huge sums of money and time in order to micromanage its people to the nth degree.

If you want your people to cooperate and work with you...you dont accomplish that by putting cameras in the package cars.

Fix the preload. Fix the ongoing problems with PAS/EDD. Fix the flawed and ridiculous time studies. Fix the overcrowded facilities, inadequate equipment and obsolete package cars. Dont pretend that these problems will magically disappear by installing a camera in the truck.

MethodsMan2

These cameras were tested a few years back. I have a friend in Atlanta Georgia where they did the testing. He even had them in his package car. They put one in the cab and one in the package compartment too. Told him because drivers complain about their loads being so bad they wanted to find out how much time the drivers spent in the back sorting packages and if they could fix this it would save UPS millioms of dollars.

User Name

Only 230 Today?? lol
If they put a camera in the back to see how bad the load was then that would be okay with me, but to watch me everyday, not for me.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I heard amongst the scuttlebutt in the office a few days ago, that there are already some cars in an area or two with a camera on the driver, possibly a test area for later deployment. Anyone else heard this? Either way, I've always figured that the day would come that we would see extreme monitoring. With telematics in place this is just the next step.
I don't believe it, though it would be nice to find the various You Tube videos that would come from this.

Personally, I don't believe UPS would decide to pursue implementation of cameras in its vehicle fleet. Imagine the dust build up on the lens over time.

But if they did, it likely would be of the variety where only the last 30 minutes or so, was continuously over-recorded.

That could be very useful information, such as the moments before a traffic accident or a crime against the driver like robbery or carjacking.

I could see it now. DIAD texting blamed for intersection accident......

or, suspects identified robbing UPS driver.

But buying and installing 95,000 of these would not fall into a cost cutting strategy.
It would be the only thing in a pkg car getting cleaned.

These cameras were tested a few years back. I have a friend in Atlanta Georgia where they did the testing. He even had them in his package car. They put one in the cab and one in the package compartment too. Told him because drivers complain about their loads being so bad they wanted to find out how much time the drivers spent in the back sorting packages and if they could fix this it would save UPS millioms of dollars.
No worries on this, my preloader would mistakenly cover it up or break it anyways.:knockedout:

Catatonic

Nine Lives

It seems that Telematics would accomplish the same measurements and no one would have to view the video. Camera is a low (or no) tech solution for that purpose.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
It seems that Telematics would accomplish the same measurements and no one would have to view the video. Camera is a low (or no) tech solution for that purpose.
I agree. You're more likely going to catch the driver digging in their nose or worse, than anything that would "save money".

UPSGUY72

I heard amongst the scuttlebutt in the office a few days ago, that there are already some cars in an area or two with a camera on the driver, possibly a test area for later deployment. Anyone else heard this? Either way, I've always figured that the day would come that we would see extreme monitoring. With telematics in place this is just the next step.[/

Talk about useless. But it would be nice to watch all the packages fall off the shelves while driving to the first couple of stops.