telematic is lurking in the background

SWORDFISH

My sup told me if they "tell you" they're looking at you for those reasons then thats enough to do a virtual then a visual or vice versa. Study up your 340 method. That'll save you even if they walk you off the job and terminate you just for shock value it'll will never stick. Remember misery is always free, especially at UPS.

True story: driver came back from trigger thumb surgery something aboot picking up the DIAD a certain way, whatever. He came back from surgery and his sup "trained" him to pick up the DIAD palm up or plam down i forget. anyway he did a visual from his personal vehicle and OB him picki9ng up the DIAD not the way he was trained by this sup-10 times. So he grabbed a driver from another route came back and fired him on the spot. Next day cause it was a "working termination" we're :surprised:all wondering:dissapointed: how we shouuld pick-up the DIAD how we should place it in the cradle and then :knockedout:how to pick it up. Anyways it was HILARIOUS but the fact is the term. was rescinded and we laughed aboot it further.:happy-very::funny:

What i took from this is weather you do ur methods or not you could be targeted for harrassment by Rtard SUPS.
This driver is latin/afro american. and knows and performs his methods all day long but shows 3hours late everyday. We're thinking of starting a pool to find out when hes gonna pull the race card and get a lawyer. We're pretty sure UPS has it coming if only by threat.

Amen! Everyone thats says just do the job the right way you will be fine hasnt experienced this yet. I have been fired 3 times and suspended twice in the last 4 months for manufactured reasons. Doing your methods and what your told doesnt keep you from being targeted.

browniehound

At our center, a common telematics harassment (done to nearly every driver) is a 40-45 minute lunch. 30 minutes for lunch, and then bit of time to move the rest of the stops up to the from of the car and drive to next stop. Mgmt is claiming this is stealing time, as the PAS system has car already set up (is anybody besides me ROTF laughing?). Even if it was set up correctly, it is still in the back of the car.
Are we supposed to get car up to 40mph and slam on the brakes? It will all be up front then.

This happened at my center. The most honest driver was called in to explain the extra 10 minutes he spent stopped after lunch. I couldn't believe this driver was called in the office. The center manager was out that day and it was handled by the DM. If the center manager was in it would have been settled with 1 question and 1 answer outside the office. Instead there was a sitdown with the steward, driver and DM.

The conclusion: the driver was sorting his final 23 house-calls to be done before his pick-ups.

Since PAS/EDD I've never sorted the truck. Its not the method anymore. The intent was to open the bulkhead and just select the package. That exists in a fantasy land.

However, I still never sort. I don't care what type of route I'm doing (residential, heavy industrial for example), I never sort. Problem is I spend too many seconds back there looking for the package. I do push the packages forward and if I see the package for my next 1-5 stops I take that to the closest shelf.

UPS doesn't want us to sort but I think we are wasting more time fishing for each package than if we just sorted the entire package car.

I will not do this because its not part of the methods and telematics will show me doing nothing for 15-20 minutes and I don't want (or don't feel I need) to explain myself for something like this..

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

What was the result of the conversation? Did the DM accept the explanation and see the time spent as productive as it made those 23 or so stops go off much quicker? Or were you guys told that sorting is no longer an option and unnecessary due to PAS/EDD?

Dragon

Package Center Manager
Why did it take the driver 10 minutes to sort 23 stops in a package car? It should have been more like 2-5 minutes even if you had a couple of bulk stops (you know he didn't move them in the truck). It's not like you have to move the packages across a hub or building. I would bet the DM's line of questioning was more along those lines.

barnyard

KTM rider
If I did that on some of the routes I run it would take 30 minutes for some stops instead of 30 seconds.

I'll bet those really long country driveways have a place to easily turn around, though. There are too many drivers that drive into relatively short driveways, turn around and knock out a basketball hoop or hit an awning or trailer hitch or dog..... when they could have parked in the road and walked the stop off.

I walk off a couple of pretty long drives. The owners frequently say, "Why don't you drive in, the other guy does?" My reply is the same, "My boss told me not to drive in residential driveways, he pays me, so I do what I am told. Besides that, with no power steering, it is easier to walk than turn that pig around."

I would guess that the last dozen crashes in our center were not only avoidable, but easily avoidable.

OVERBOARD

Don't believe everything you think
This happened at my center. The most honest driver was called in to explain the extra 10 minutes he spent stopped after lunch. I couldn't believe this driver was called in the office. The center manager was out that day and it was handled by the DM. If the center manager was in it would have been settled with 1 question and 1 answer outside the office. Instead there was a sitdown with the steward, driver and DM.

The conclusion: the driver was sorting his final 23 house-calls to be done before his pick-ups.

Since PAS/EDD I've never sorted the truck. Its not the method anymore. The intent was to open the bulkhead and just select the package. That exists in a fantasy land.

However, I still never sort. I don't care what type of route I'm doing (residential, heavy industrial for example), I never sort. Problem is I spend too many seconds back there looking for the package. I do push the packages forward and if I see the package for my next 1-5 stops I take that to the closest shelf.

UPS doesn't want us to sort but I think we are wasting more time fishing for each package than if we just sorted the entire package car.

I will not do this because its not part of the methods and telematics will show me doing nothing for 15-20 minutes and I don't want (or don't feel I need) to explain myself for something like this..
On a recent OJS ride the sup instructed me too sort my last three section, I laugh said what happen to no need to sort when we go on PAS, he said nothing.

OVERBOARD

I'll bet those really long country driveways have a place to easily turn around, though. There are too many drivers that drive into relatively short driveways, turn around and knock out a basketball hoop or hit an awning or trailer hitch or dog..... when they could have parked in the road and walked the stop off.

I walk off a couple of pretty long drives. The owners frequently say, "Why don't you drive in, the other guy does?" My reply is the same, "My boss told me not to drive in residential driveways, he pays me, so I do what I am told. Besides that, with no power steering, it is easier to walk than turn that pig around."

I would guess that the last dozen crashes in our center were not only avoidable, but easily avoidable.
There is no unavoidable accidents, all accidents are avoidable now at the new UPS

barnyard

KTM rider
I always sort after my last business stop. It takes about 5 minutes, before PAS it took 20-30 minutes. I have a new preloader now, so I also have to sort my businesses, I never used to and it is added another 5-10 minutes onto my day.

[quoteown287;635043]Its a fine line between talking to a customer and loitering at thier address. I love talking, exspecially after delivering all day with out one word spoken. However I love my job and income even more. As said before just due the job as weve been instructed and even if you go outside of the lines a little every now and again you should be just fine.

Management does not want the PC driver nor their CSR to develop any sort of relationship with the customer. Sell the service and move on, deliver the package and move on.[/QUOTE]
I refuse to sell anything. I'm not in sales. I'm in the delivery and pick up industry. UPS has a sales force already. Sales are up to them.

OVERBOARD

That is simply not true.
Well in my center there's no unavoidable accidents all accidents are voidable This is according to my center manager and Dm . Example a car runs a red light hits the Pkg car, accident found avoidable claim driver didn't scan intersection probably, there as not been one unavoidable accident in my center for over three years. Oh ya Driver parks in a driveway a neighbor from across the street backs out of her driveway across two lanes into the pkg car, his fault created a intersection lol

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Well in my center there's no unavoidable accidents all accidents are voidable This is according to my center manager and Dm . Example a car runs a red light hits the Pkg car, accident found avoidable claim driver didn't scan intersection probably, there as not been one unavoidable accident in my center for over three years. Oh ya Driver parks in a driveway a neighbor from across the street backs out of her driveway across two lanes into the pkg car, his fault created a intersection lol

The driveway accident was avoidable as we have been instructed to stay out of residential driveways.

The red light accident was avoidable as the driver did not clear the intersection nor did he count 1-2-3 before proceeding.

Anything else?

OVERBOARD

The driveway accident was avoidable as we have been instructed to stay out of residential driveways.

The red light accident was avoidable as the driver did not clear the intersection nor did he count 1-2-3 before proceeding.

Anything else?
I don’t have the time to explain all the accidents, but we where told there is no unavoidable accidents anymore, This is what the DM as told us.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I don’t have the time to explain all the accidents, but we where told there is no unavoidable accidents anymore, This is what the DM as told us.

While it is true that UPS is much more strict in determining fault than the police, there will always be situations that are truly unavoidable. The problem with the stance that your DM is taking is that it is possible to get fired for having too many avoidable accidents, so classifying every accident as avoidable, whether valid or not, may prove to be an issue in your center over time.

OVERBOARD

While it is true that UPS is much more strict in determining fault than the police, there will always be situations that are truly unavoidable. The problem with the stance that your DM is taking is that it is possible to get fired for having too many avoidable accidents, so classifying every accident as avoidable, whether valid or not, may prove to be an issue in your center over time.
Accidents have been a problem in my center for sometime, if there is a accident you are taking of the road, sent to safety classes and have to pass the dok question w Dm.

tracker2762

i can't wait to be told not to drive in residential driveways. My stop count would go from 120 -130 to around 50-60 depending on which driveways I have to walk. Plus I'll get a lot more exercise. I did mention this to my sup and he told me to just keep what I'm doing.
Last year I had 2 garage door springs (46 lbs each) that I had to walk up a driving that was snow covered. Not to bad except the driveway is about 45 degrees up. That one stop took almost 15 minutes not to mention the 5 minutes it took me to catch my breath.
I also have a lot of hills and there are alot of stops that are on the crest and bends so I get off the road. So we'll see.