telematics and heat

tourists24

yes big talker, in theory it would work, but, your not the driver group getting the pcm, ,, we all know, especially me, Drivers at ups can be targeted by operations and knit picked into methods failure , any one of us can be targeted and fired,, my goal is to find the method that makes it easy,, ------manipulating bonus cost cuts dont discriminate
what in the world are you talking about? Are you seriously trying to justify why someone should sit there in a refrigerated truck? geez. Cmon,,, you cant be fired for nothing (not that will stick). Do your job and be safe doing it. If that means running your truck to stay warm, then thats what you do..... or freeze

DS

Fenderbender
yes big talker, in theory it would work, but, your not the driver group getting the pcm, ,, we all know, especially me, Drivers at ups can be targeted by operations and knit picked into methods failure , any one of us can be targeted and fired,, my goal is to find the method that makes it easy,, ------manipulating bonus cost cuts dont discriminate
Simply do as they ask.Find a nice warm place to take lunch.Secure the vehicle and off you go.
As Sober pointed out,when you return,the car will need to be running to clear the windows in the name of safety.
Suggestion,ask for a ridealong on a crispy day.They will back off.
btw overnine is being realistic,he's no big talker,the union will back you 100% on this.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

We got the same damn PCM that you did. Its nothing more that the standard drivel from Corporate that the center manager is required to read and we are required to listen to. Any idiot can sit in a cubicle and make $200K a year to pull dumb ideas out of his ass and write memos, it doesnt mean we have to obey him or take him seriously. You have a right to run the heater during the winter and under DOT regs as well as applicable state law it is illegal to operate the vehicle in an unsafe manner (as in frozen or fogged up windows.) The idiot who came up with this drivel never drove a truck or delivered a package and he isnt the one who will actually have to follow through on disciplinary action for those who refuse to obey his nonsense. Your center manager and on-car sups are well aware of the stupidity of the rule, they just have to go through the motions of reading the PCM and pretending to agree with it. Its nothing but the flavor of the week, just run the heater when you need to and soon enough they will find some other irrelevant metric that they want you to try and chase.

The Blackadder

Are you not amused?
You could sit for your hour lunch, then call the center and say you think you have frostbite and need to get medical attention asap.

Then when asked say well I cant use heat it was freezing but I didnt want to break the rules.

The Medical bill should be more then you would waste in gas in 10 years. Maybe this kind of stuff will get them to get a clue.

iruhnman630

This is a health and safety issue...the health of keeping the driver reasonably warm, and the safety of maintaining a clear windshield while the car sits idle during break.

The Blackadder

Are you not amused?
This is a health and safety issue...the health of keeping the driver reasonably warm, and the safety of maintaining a clear windshield while the car sits idle during break.

Thats a good point, what if my window ices up, do I have to call the center to let them know?

DO I need the ok from mgmt to clear the window with my heater?

Or should I just call the brains in ATL.?

A

anonymous6

several years ago i was told to bring a blanket from home. filed and won. they layed off for awhile but at least couple times a year they say something about idle time.

should file harassment??

anyway brought 2 blankets from home this year hoping to sleep better for hr meal/break. one of them is a heated one that plugs into cig lighter.

week ago it was 13 below zero and was cold regardless of electric blanket and had to idle for almost an hr.

probably will get grief over this.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
several years ago i was told to bring a blanket from home. filed and won. they layed off for awhile but at least couple times a year they say something about idle time.

should file harassment??

anyway brought 2 blankets from home this year hoping to sleep better for hr meal/break. one of them is a heated one that plugs into cig lighter.

week ago it was 13 below zero and was cold regardless of electric blanket and had to idle for almost an hr.

No offense, but if they told me to bring in a blanket, I WOULD TELL THEM TO %&#@ THEMSELVES !!

It's winter and they are just trying to keep idle time down knowing we will do it more. I can understand hitting us hard in the summer for idling, but not winter. Also, with the new keyless entry system, you can't leave the heat on more than 1 minute without idling. It keeps shutting off and you have to reset it. We were told just to not have it idle for 60 minutes straight. If you break it up, then you are fine.

I've been driving a new 2011 workhorse and it's better insulated inside the cab than my older P7. So I don't have to idle as much.

rocket man

i drive in philadlphia, pa. We were told by our center manager that we are not allowed to idle our trucks when taking our lunch. The day we were told this it was 29 degrees. We asked what we were supposed to do about heat if you have nowhere to take your lunch but your truck. We were told it was tried in other areas of the country and it worked. I wonder if by other areas they mean california or arizona or somewhere warm all year. Anyone who delivers in the northeast in janurary knows how quickly your truck gets cold. What comes next with telematics, will the heat in the truck shut off automatically when it gets above 32 degrees. By the way, the union does nothing about it but collect dues.
where have you guys been about idle time?

A

anonymous6

If you filed and won on being told to bring a blanket, why would you start bringing one now?

like i posted.....i sleep better with the motor off and having blankets.

with the motor on I have bad dreams sometimes of driving the truck and having no control and accidents. nightmares. it doesn't happen very often but when it does it's scary. it feels very real. i wake up shaking and hitting the brakes, grabbing the wheel etc.

menotyou

bella amicizia
like i posted.....i sleep better with the motor off and having blankets.

with the motor on I have bad dreams sometimes of driving the truck and having no control and accidents. nightmares. it doesn't happen very often but when it does it's scary. it feels very real. i wake up shaking and hitting the brakes, grabbing the wheel etc.
Oh, ok. I'm sorry I misread I guess. I completely understand the dreams aspect.
Have you thought of one of those little heaters that plug in? Or, do they draw too many amps?

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS

should file harassment??

It gets cold here, cold enough to have run the heater periodically. They started installing our telematics 2 weeks ago and I haven't been back since they started so I don't know if they are done yet. I can tell you one thing though, they can kiss my lily white ass if they think I'm not going to idle to keep warm.

I drive in philadlphia, pa. We were told by our center manager that we are not allowed to idle our trucks when taking our lunch. The day we were told this it was 29 degrees. We asked what we were supposed to do about heat if you have nowhere to take your lunch but your truck. we were told it was tried in other areas of the country and it worked. i wonder if by other areas they mean California or Arizona or somewhere warm all year. Anyone who delivers in the northeast in Janurary knows how quickly your truck gets cold. What comes next with telematics, will the heat in the truck shut off automatically when it gets above 32 degrees. By the way, the union does nothing about it but collect dues.

Man If you are cold like It is here in the midwest, turn your car on and warm up. Human beings need heat. Like the guy said some comments back, "Are they gonna fire you for that s:censored2:"? I wonder If people have actually been threatned by idle reports?

bl04a

beleive me, it goes in one ear and out the other with me too. Its just that in the 18 years that I've worked for UPS this is the most friend...ed thing I've ever heard, and beleive me, I 've heard some friend...ed things. I'm sure u have too.

badpal.

avoiding brown kool-aid
I'm in the Midwest. If its cold enough to idle then I idle to keep warm during lunch and shut the truck off until its cold again. They can piss and moan all they want but in the end its paper and lip service...

ymelord

I work so hard, on lunch I turn my truck off just to cool down. For all you less dedicated drivers, idle till warning letters start coming in. Then you have a paper trail started for OSHA, lawyer, maybe the union, doubtfull, but maybe.