Telematics and lunch break......

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Here is an analogy, and its a true one.

My sister is a painting contractor. She paints houses for a living. Some of the houses are in town, and some are out in the country.

When she bids a job for a customer, one of the things she discusses with them is whether or not they are OK with her using their bathroom throughout the day. Some customers are OK with it, others arent.

If the customer isnt OK with making the bathroom available, then depending upon how rural the house is part of her cost of doing the job will include either (a) renting a porta-potty or (b) her time and gas that are spent driving to the nearest public restroom. If the house is half a block from a public restroom then its a non issue, but otherwise the customer....like UPS.... will have a choice to make.

If you own a home in the country and you hire somebody to work on it, then one way or another you are going to wind up providing restroom facilities for that person. Same deal with a UPS delivery route.

tourists24

so if u leave ur engine on but stop for an hour, its not lunch? sad
?
nice try.... now you are reaching.... make yourself look like a fool of course..... you want your point to be valid so bad you cant stand it... face it.... you can go off trace a little and it not be wrong. If you abuse it you get what you deserve..... but go ahead and continue you foolish search for trace breaking

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
Yes. Laugh when they tell you the BS. Lunch doesn't start till the car is parked safely and shut off. They're just trying to get you to work thru part of your lunch.
In my local a driver was fired last week over this issue. He delivered his last stop then drove for ten minutes to his lunch destination. He punched out when he reached it,sat for an hour then drove 10 minutes to his next stop. The center manager fired him for 'stealing' 20 minutes of time.His hearing is next week,and we heard the center manager is wanting to play hardball and force it to the panel.
Our BA tells us to start lunch when we Break Trace ,and be back on trace at our next stop when lunch ends

iamhuge

Banned
In my local a driver was fired last week over this issue. He delivered his last stop then drove for ten minutes to his lunch destination. He punched out when he reached it,sat for an hour then drove 10 minutes to his next stop. The center manager fired him for 'stealing' 20 minutes of time.His hearing is next week,and we heard the center manager is wanting to play hardball and force it to the panel.
Our BA tells us to start lunch when we Break Trace ,and be back on trace at our next stop when lunch ends
oh my god, u have restored my faith in the ups employee. Ok, is this guy an idiot like me? Regulars on this site are here to joke around, not learn the truth.

brownman15

Bathroom is another issue. The first poster said driving to shade. It is not ups responsibilty to pay u to drive to lunch lol. U can bring a dam lunch. If u choose to drive off trace to mcdonalds, u are STEALING if u leave yourself on the clock. Sorry u people dont wanna hear this. But ive sat in many office meetings and panel hearings. I am right. In my area, ups may think im a dick for things i say or grivances ive filed, but they also know im honest and do things correctly. That comes in handy as a steward.

then someone needs to call dot that you are forcing drivers to falsify their logbook which carries a hefty fine

brownman15

call dot and have them come and check hours of service for your center they tried to do this a couple of years ago and we threatened to call dot to come and audit their hours of service they backed of now don't say anything unless you are abusing it

BMWMC

B.C. boohoo buster.
The use of restroom facilities is not limited to just #1 or #2 it also includes personal hygiene. Any employee who job is classifies as a mobile employee has the legal right to use his/her vehicle to access restroom facilities that are comparable to those in there building. Breaking trace to go to lunch a driver should also add they intended to use the restroom facilities as well. Reasonable choices need to be applied here.

If the employee give reason that they intended to use the facilities in a way that is protected by law there is NO duty required of the employee to use unpaid time to gain access to said facilities nor does distance to nearest qualifying restroom facilities excuse a refusal to comply with the law..

Its really common sense but don't count of UPS to show any with the language they are using to justify discharges. Just pulling off to the side of the road to eat lunch in whatever the weather conditions without being able to use a restroom for washing hands or relieving oneself during this lunch period isn't going to play well with state and federal regulators.

Last edited:

tourists24

In this case you are talking about a driver going 20 minutes out of his/her way. This is not what this thread is about. We've also had drivers suspended for driving 20 minutes each way. Thats a huge stretch compared to 30 seconds after crossing some trace boundary. Would be interesting to see this happen to someone who crosses the other side of the street to get to a lunch spot before punching out for lunch

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
In this case you are talking about a driver going 20 minutes out of his/her way. This is not what this thread is about. We've also had drivers suspended for driving 20 minutes each way. Thats a huge stretch compared to 30 seconds after crossing some trace boundary. Would be interesting to see this happen to someone who crosses the other side of the street to get to a lunch spot before punching out for lunch

Seriously, if you drive an extra 20 minutes that's not just stealing time it's padding miles which is a big deal especially if it's a bonus center.

brownman15

Seriously, if you drive an extra 20 minutes that's not just stealing time it's padding miles which is a big deal especially if it's a bonus center.

what if it is a rural route and the nearest place to take lunch is 20 minutes then it is ok if the person is driving 20 minutes and passes other places to eat to go to a specific place then i think that is wrong every route is different

BMWMC

B.C. boohoo buster.
Brownman15 is correct. You can't pass qualifying restrooms facilities because the establishment doesn't serve t what you want
UPS shouldn't abuse its workers with nit picking and UPS workers shouldn't abuse any right to act up or extend there day.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
I deliver a rural route and have been told by both my division and district managers that I can drive as far as necessary to use the proper facilities when I have to pee or poop.

DS

Fenderbender
I deliver a rural route and have been told by both my division and district managers that I can drive as far as necessary to use the proper facilities when I have to pee or poop.
Good for you,you can give them a call when your oncar sup gets on your back.