Telematics and peak

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I worked on mine at least 15 times before it was implemented...when it finally was implemented it was the original dyslexic loop that I was asked to work on in the first place. After implementation and my 3 day ride the "team" fixed 10 % of the errors...I have worked on it 15 more times since....but after about 2 days, it reverts back to some sort of default original dyslexic loop. I gave up and only follow trace when I have to(too bulky to start on shelf 8,7 6). When trace is followed within in the 95% range it adds 30 miles and about 1 hr. to my plan and paid day....the over/under allowed is roughly the same either way...so, if I feel like making an extra $250.00 per week for doing the same amount of work, I follow trace:whiteflag:

It's like a liscense to steal.

DS

Fenderbender
I find this thread intriguing in that even though we have yet to see PAS, EDD,or telematics here in Toronto,some things just go without saying.
The truth is that,and I hate to say it but at some point for one reason or another,every driver steals time.About 6 years ago a DM suggested this at PCM and I felt hurt that they would even accuse us of it.The truth is
its a natural reaction when the workload gets seemingly impossible,to get back at them the only way we can.
The fact that pretzel man (who I respect)assures us that telematics works,and works quite well is really saying that there are a helluva lot of drivers milking thier runs on a daily basis.
I feel somewhat like jones does(bring on telematics) because I also follow the methods and do the job like I was trained,and to be honest,it never occurred to me that this was and is a big concern.
sorry for the long rant

govols019

You smell that?
I haven't used a helper board in over a week. The part-time sups in the office fix my timecard to show that I used a helper. I don't understand why they don't just do this for everyone's helper. When I do have a helper board I've usually already completed 40 stops long before I actually meet them.

My helper can actually use the DIAD on her own. We can roll through my commercial stops because of that.

Pkgrunner

Till I Collapse
Is this stealing time, or working as directed??????

It's both and neither at the same time....It's funny when I think about it though: when I am feeling rebellious I will WAD and make more money and drive more miles... maybe there is some deeper meaning to this messed up trace thing....like reverse psychology:wink2:

Pkgrunner

Till I Collapse
It's like a liscense to steal.

It is what it is...(I hate that saying)....I worked on my trace more than anyone in my loop...yet when I run it my "unorthodox" way I save UPS time and money...but it can't be looped that way because it doesn't "jive" with the way they want it run....the house on shelf 8 may be only physically 50 feet from the house on 3 and another 50 feet from the house on shelf 5 but it is not "virtually" near these houses....and around and around we go:biting: I am just a stupid driver who couldn't possibly know what I am doing and am out to steal from the company how dare I challenge the accuracy of Google maps in a canyon area that I have been delivering to for over 15 years...

Sorry for the rant...didn't mean to sound jaded--or did I? I don't even know anymore, I gave up.

Last edited:

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
I find this thread intriguing in that even though we have yet to see PAS, EDD,or telematics here in Toronto,some things just go without saying.
The truth is that,and I hate to say it but at some point for one reason or another,every driver steals time.About 6 years ago a DM suggested this at PCM and I felt hurt that they would even accuse us of it.The truth is
its a natural reaction when the workload gets seemingly impossible,to get back at them the only way we can.
The fact that pretzel man (who I respect)assures us that telematics works,and works quite well is really saying that there are a helluva lot of drivers milking thier runs on a daily basis.
I feel somewhat like jones does(bring on telematics) because I also follow the methods and do the job like I was trained,and to be honest,it never occurred to me that this was and is a big concern.
sorry for the long rant

I agree in concept with this statement.
No tele here yet either, but I have to say I believe the fuss is not so much about having the system as how its being used. If it were always a pure and right and fair and even use that would be one thing. But let's look at the "old tool" - the WOR. Is this tool used evenly? Are the drivers who consistently lose to a route with sound methods treated the same as those who consistently beat it by over an hour simply by cheating and gaming the current system and assuredly NOT using methods? All the "tools" are subject to interpretation by the individuals who implement them. If they want to alledge that only dishonest drivers are overallowed and only honest drivers are underallowed, well.....that's what they will alledge, as they have always done here. Regardless of how quickly "advanced technology" marches with us into the future, we just bring along the same old bagagge on every trip.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

My helper can actually use the DIAD on her own. We can roll through my commercial stops because of that.

Mine does as well. He even knows how to do multiple left-ats and indirect deliveries. I have no problem dropping him off at a medical office complex and letting him do 1/2 while I do the other 1/2.

CharleyHustle

By intimidating inappropriate behaviours it inherently forces drivers to become more efficient and safer.

My point is inappropriate behavior seems to be the end all. Do drivers waste time? Sure. But how much? If a driver is an hour over I seriously doubt telematics finds an hour of inappropriate behavior. Same with 1/2 hr over. I only see a small fraction of a fraction of this company, but what I do see I don't see many or any hourly wasting hours of time. I think if I could stop talking about the weather with customers I might save 2 mins a day. But, is talking about the weather inappropraite?

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
sorry for the long rant
no edd or pas yet,,, heh heh heh,,when it comes in all common sense regarding your current loop will go out the window, everyone in your center will run over , everyone, and your misloads will be rampant ,, how can we trust the company after the last few years???

cino321

Mine does as well. He even knows how to do multiple left-ats and indirect deliveries. I have no problem dropping him off at a medical office complex and letting him do 1/2 while I do the other 1/2.

I have to hand it to you, you must be the perfect service provider.

SignificantOwner

A Package Center Manager
Okay... Explain this then

- We all agree that UPS is cheap and wants to increase profits.
- They installed Telematics first in 1500 vehicles and analyzed them.
- Then they installed Telematics in over 10000 vehicles and spend a very large amount of time analyzing the results.

So, with all this analysis by highly skilled finance people, why did UPS decide to continue and install more? Believe me, the accountants would like to NOT spend the money.

Don't you think they analyzed this? I looked at the same reports as they did.

If its a loser, doesn't it make sense that they would then stop?

P-Man

You left out some steps:

* They created arbitrary goals and then brow beat the daylights out of center managers to get the desired results.
* They sat in their Chicago (and other) offices, accused drivers of cheating and stealing time, and then found out that bad sensors and software flaws skewed some of the results. Shoot first, ask questions later.
* They discovered that misloads really do make drivers drive off area often (although they didn't want to address the systemic misload problem).
- Then they installed Telematics in over 10000 vehicles and spend a very large amount of time analyzing the results.
* They continued to brow beat the center managers to meet the arbitrary goals.
* They accused drivers of driving off area for lunch (still from their seats in Chicago), but then realized the drivers were just meeting other drivers to exchange misloads. They did not (and still do not) have an answer for the systemic misload problem.
* They did not talk about safety items. Item #1 is production.
* They did not realize that the brow beating was responsible for much of the productivity gain.

pretzel_man

You left out some steps:

* They created arbitrary goals and then brow beat the daylights out of center managers to get the desired results.
* They sat in their Chicago (and other) offices, accused drivers of cheating and stealing time, and then found out that bad sensors and software flaws skewed some of the results. Shoot first, ask questions later.
* They discovered that misloads really do make drivers drive off area often (although they didn't want to address the systemic misload problem).
* They continued to brow beat the center managers to meet the arbitrary goals.
* They accused drivers of driving off area for lunch (still from their seats in Chicago), but then realized the drivers were just meeting other drivers to exchange misloads. They did not (and still do not) have an answer for the systemic misload problem.
* They did not talk about safety items. Item #1 is production.
* They did not realize that the brow beating was responsible for much of the productivity gain.

the brow beating you post about is not my experience.

On the other hand, based on the positive results, I guess you are making the argument that brow beating works.

P-Man

I'm a supervisor and I think telematics is a huge waste of time. Don't get me wrong, it's nice having it and we do need to make sure that our operation is running smoothly and safely. But the amount of emphasis they put on it is ridiculous, at least in my district.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
My point is inappropriate behavior seems to be the end all. Do drivers waste time? Sure. But how much? If a driver is an hour over I seriously doubt telematics finds an hour of inappropriate behavior. Same with 1/2 hr over. I only see a small fraction of a fraction of this company, but what I do see I don't see many or any hourly wasting hours of time. I think if I could stop talking about the weather with customers I might save 2 mins a day. But, is talking about the weather inappropraite?

2 mins a day 50 times is 100 minutes or almost 2 hours. I know having done a mostly ( 1/2) business route, I could have easily racked up 50 or 100 minutes in chit-chat time casually scanning pickups while shooting the ****, for ex. Not stealing time, per se, but definitly stretching the time.

Old International

Now driving a Sterling
What do you do when the GPS tells UPS that you did something wrong at 450 Center St. and you only stopped at 454 Center St? You do know that GPS can have as much as a 150 foot range of error, which means you can be as much as 75 feet from where you need to be. I know you are going to say that the 75 feet doesn't mean much, but when you are trying to find the 30 foot wide channel in a boat, or your favorite deer stand, 75 feet can seem like miles.