Telematics anyone

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Not always this touchy, If my spelling and grammer (Kelsey?) were great I'd be proof reading for a major publisher, anyway ,your right. It is better in oneway, you dont care what time you get home now because you HAVE to do it right.

Is it safer, yes, but you still have maroon drivers that rush because they wanna go home and see their family. For instance one idiot has 20 stops on his dash at a time so he dosent have to open the bulk door at every stop (sup told him that trick) and still drives like a lunatic.

No they cant discipline for technology but theres 5-10 guys at the mangers door every morning. Its just a hassle. Asked a guy why it took him 4min to do a stop. Why because the cust was handicapped and it took that long, don't they have better things to do? Hey upstate, do you have telematics?
Sorry, I was bored.

We just got a new center manager from a hub that had telematics. He told us a little about it and then said we may never see it in our neck of the woods. Could it be it's killing production too much?
That's interesting.

upssup

Sorry guys. Telematics is here to stay. Right now they are setting up the funding to go nationwide with the system. As far as automotive goes the system is a success. The rest of it is not within my scope.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Sorry guys. Telematics is here to stay. Right now they are setting up the funding to go nationwide with the system. As far as automotive goes the system is a success. The rest of it is not within my scope.
2 things about what you said. Number 1, is the setting up funding part. Does that mean replacement parts will be on back order for 6 months, now?

Number 2, do supervisors ever venture out of their "scope"? You do know that there is more to this company, than just the area you work in? JMHO

pretzel_man

We just got a new center manager from a hub that had telematics. He told us a little about it and then said we may never see it in our neck of the woods. Could it be it's killing production too much?

Nope....

Last time corporate shared the reports with us, the results showed the following:

- Automotive breakdowns and expense are down.
- Seat Belt, backing, bulkhead, etc. problems have been drastically reduced.
- Overall, production is up, but not a lot.
- Of all the sites, about 3/4 have improved production. About 1/3 improved a lot. About 20% got worse in production.

P-Man

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Here's the look I get, when I mention the word, telematics, in my building.

1592003571_0a9b69771a.jpg

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
Nope....

Last time corporate shared the reports with us, the results showed the following:

- Of all the sites, about 3/4 have improved production. About 1/3 improved a lot. About 20% got worse in production.

P-Man
man i really enjoyed your insight and thought you were telling the truth about work related issues..giving factual ideas from the management side..then i read this post................youve lost all credit in my eyes--------Overall, production is up, but not a lot.
- Of all the sites, about 3/4 have improved production. About 1/3 improved a lot. -----------i guess you have not delivered a route in a long time , if ever, METHODS ARE GREAT FOR SAFETY RIDES AND LIGHT DAYS,,,nothing more,, honestly, you have shown your management colors,, you are part of the reason you and your colleges are not getting a raise this year,, a true member of the management cult.............too badd

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
We've been on it since the end of January here in CT.

After the initial telematic push, they will time study every route using the gps in your diad. This will push your stop counts higher, as apparently this is a more accurate number. Then as you go over 10 every day and file your 9.5 grievances, they do their 3 day rides with you so they can lasso you into a stops per hour that justifies the min/max range.

As they are doing this, they take out routes and spread the stops around to all the drivers regardless if it doesn't make sense on a map. Everyone is dispatched at a high range so there are very few under 9's in the building. UPS wins, YOU DONT.

This has happened in less than 5 months in Hartford.

To the original poster, if you follow instruction and do everything they ask you to, you will have no problems. The worst that can happen is that you take home over 1,000 a week (like me). If you try anything that messes with the telematics or gps in your truck, YOU WILL BE MADE AN EXAMPLE OF !!

The union has approved all the methods UPS is using to take away time from your family. Give your BA an extra dollar when you see him, because 72.00 a month is not enough. :dissapointed:

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Originally Posted by pretzel_man
Nope....

P-Man
man i really enjoyed your insight and thought you were telling the truth about work related issues..giving factual ideas from the management side..then i read this post................youve lost all credit in my eyes--------Overall, production is up, but not a lot.
- Of all the sites, about 3/4 have improved production. About 1/3 improved a lot. -----------i guess you have not delivered a route in a long time , if ever, METHODS ARE GREAT FOR SAFETY RIDES AND LIGHT DAYS,,,nothing more,, honestly, you have shown your management colors,, you are part of the reason you and your colleges are not getting a raise this year,, a true member of the management cult.............too badd

Like the saying goes,
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him think."

browniehound

Nope....

P-Man

Another plus P-man, is I find myself not putting my own car in drive without the seatbelt on! Can you believe this?

Before telematics I would fasten my seatbelt while rolling a few feet. Now, I never put it in drive or take it off when its in drive. This behavior has now moved to my own car! I found myself grabbing for the seatbelt before I drive away.

I find it somewhat disturbing that I am now brainwashed by UPS for better ot worse, LOL!

Fullhouse

telemaics can be good or bad.itcan help you get better atyour job.providefeedback on the things you are doing good and those thingsyou need to improveon. somepeople think that ups mgt will use it to hammer people but the contract has stipulations that technology cannot be used for discipline purposes. you bring up a goodpoint about having to keep teh buckhead door closed allthe time. I never did and ican see where that would slow you down. i doubt if most mgt is too entusiastic about it either. Time will tell what impact it has on production and safety. :wink2:
Your right about the that but it sends up a red flag! Now that the driver has their attention, now they can observe him on his route the next day! Say Cheese!

pretzel_man

I honestly do not know where you are coming from.

I looked at the report myself. The centers are measured on Net Deliverd Pieces per Hour (NDPPH). When I said what the production gains (or losses) were, I used that measure.

If showing my "management colors" means analyzing information and accurately reporting it, then thank you for the compliment.

P-Man

pretzel_man

Another plus P-man, is I find myself not putting my own car in drive without the seatbelt on! Can you believe this?

Before telematics I would fasten my seatbelt while rolling a few feet. Now, I never put it in drive or take it off when its in drive. This behavior has now moved to my own car! I found myself grabbing for the seatbelt before I drive away.

I find it somewhat disturbing that I am now brainwashed by UPS for better ot worse, LOL!

I do the same. I also teach my kids the 5 Seeing Eye Habits. They know that I will grill them every time I'm in the car.

P-Man

browniehound

What about putting your next 5 (res.) stops in the cab? It will help you and help them if nobody sees it. Is management going to crack down on this?

I ask this because my production is already suffering and I'm suffering:sad-very:lol. Once my businesses were off, I would make up for lost time during the residentials. The stops are so tight I would never travel more that 15mph between them. I see no harm in keeping the door open in this scenario.

If I was going to travel faster or further than 1/16 of a mile I would shut the door.

What's going to happen to the drivers at peak with 340 stops? Are they required to keep their door shut? Its funny, because last peak our sups were slapping high 5's to the helper teams doing 340 under 12 hours. The sups knew the door was always open and the truck was idling in park while 5 stops were run off in 5 minutes.

Why wasn't it a problem then? What's going to happen this peak??? The door closed at every stop? Ouch! 340 is going to 240. It has to! I can't begin to describe the corners cut for 340 to be done in a day!

Are we going to hire more peak drivers? HA! They are going to have to suspend the bulkhead door being closed rule, no?

Has a center gone through a peak with telematics yet?

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Corporate thinks PAS saves miles. The reality we as drivers live in shows so much waste it's pathetic. A printout doesn't show reality. I'm sure it's no different with this technology. Turn off your GD computers and start doing something to make us a better customer service oriented company. Good night.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I guess that drivers that don't have it really don't comprehend what's going on until they get it.You'll understand when it comes to your center.
Welcome to brown cafe Herman.
Dont have it yet, but am prepared, got warned today they will be watching soon in a cubicle near you.
Dont know how to cheat it, dont even try anymore. Just do what they say, how they say. As best I can. And screw the grammar. Im the most bestest proofreader ever, and if someone wants to waste time doing that, I can fulfill their dream. Ill have them reedin all nite intwo the next dai.

Hangingon

I looked at the report myself. The centers are measured on Net Deliverd Pieces per Hour (NDPPH). When I said what the production gains (or losses) were, I used that measure.

If showing my "management colors" means analyzing information and accurately reporting it, then thank you for the compliment.

P-Man

NDPPH not SPHOR? Was it compared to the same period the previous year? Curious since you're using pieces and it varies during the year. Here our peices per business stop have been increasing lately so while our SPHOR have gone down since we went live, our actual NDPPH have been a bit higher. Of course our average miles and number of business complaints have increased but it sounds like that is a constant whenever PAS goes live.

screamin chicken

I just do not understand the saying it's going to take more time for having the bulkhead door shut, leaving the car running, etc. I follow all the rules and I am able to get 45-65 stops done by noon, and 130-140 by 1500 without running.

- Of all the sites, about 3/4 have improved production. About 1/3 improved a lot. --------
Obviously you missed the part where he said, "Last time corporate shared the reports with us, the results showed the following:"

I see no crack in P-Man's credibility. He was simply sharing the info supplied to him. The validity of the report may come into question, but not P-Man.

pretzel_man

NDPPH not SPHOR? Was it compared to the same period the previous year? Curious since you're using pieces and it varies during the year. Here our peices per business stop have been increasing lately so while our SPHOR have gone down since we went live, our actual NDPPH have been a bit higher. Of course our average miles and number of business complaints have increased but it sounds like that is a constant whenever PAS goes live.

Yes, NDPPH.

Comparison was three ways.

Same period last year. Comparison to before telematics began. Comparison to other sites that didn't have telematics.

P-Man

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG

P-Man
pretzel, ok let me reiterate..i don't know your position,,are you a center manager,, a on road,,division manager?? <<<< do you have any concept about day to day operations??? Are you sent here by corporate for damage control? Here is my problem with your nonsensical post about increased production due to the implementation of telematics. IT IS GOING TO HURT THE PRODUCERS,, you and corporate puppeters can live in a fantasy world about the service providers that put your families groceries on the table every day,, but hey,,here is a reality check.......................there are still some. no,,the vast majority of drivers don't need this level of micro management,, they work hard and do the job right--- this is another unfounded slap in the face to the army of drivers that make this company what it is ..this company has been around 100 years because of the driver,, just keep droppin morale and watch where we end up