Telematics anyone

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Great post Hef. And if I may expound upon your maxed out 10 hour day................. They leave no leeway for problems that occur on-road. Misloads are one of the problems that should be happening, but there are others. Customers are the biggest one. I had several ODS p/u's yesterday, more than I have had in the last month. At one, the customer was saying how easy it was for him because I brought the GSD and filled it out. I felt like telling him just 'how' easy it was for him but not for me. The GSD's take time that I DON'T have. That is just one example.

Then there are break downs. Most of which could be prevented with proper maintenance. The truck that I am driving this week has a really bad clutch. A new clutch was installed in Apr and it is so out of adjustment that it slips climbing a hill. And starting out on a hill, ******. :biting: I burned it so many times yesterday. This is partly the regular drivers fault because it hadn't been written up. It got written up yesterday and reported to the office that it was a possible break-down.

I could go on and on but the point is, they have us so maxxed out that there is no room for errors. :why:
That's why I let the customer fill it out, and come back. I tell em how easy it would be for them, if they did it at UPS.com. They would have more options, as well.

That second part is absolutely on the money, dilli.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
........ here, there are no reports generated that show the number of off car misloads that occur, unless they are missed. If I chase the guy down working next to me and give him the misload belonging to him, or if I go onto his part of the loop and deliver it, no report is generated. Some days, I run a stop or two for the guy next to me, if it's on the edge of his area, maybe 8 or 10 miles for him, and just a couple for me if I have something on that edge of my area, and no report is generated, even though those are in his board in EDDs. The only thing that generates a report here, with respect to misloads, is a MISSED package. We call every misload in, and 90% of the time, we're told to go deliver it. I've checked with my loader, repeatedly, the next day, they were not even told that they misloaded a package, unless of course, the package ends up MISSED.

Lots of good points here, this shows why these reports aren't exactly accurate. Before PAS/EDD, I would have three or four missed a year, now its usually at least one a day. If its close by, I will run it. If its too far away and I call it in early, the FT Preload Sup has to come get it and shuttle it to the right driver. He works very long days. We don't have an hourly shuttle driver, except in the rare cases we have late air. Then a Preloader or Saturday Driver will will bring it out. I don't ever see a DIAD with either types of shuttle drivers, I don't know how their work and time gets covered up. Like Dusty said, missorts don't show up on a report if they get delivered, which is always at a great cost.

Cobra Agent

Mandalorian
Telematics and Pas go together like orage juice and tooth paste. On their own they are "OK" and toghether they plain suck!!!!! i was pulled into center manager office the other day with asking why I ran these certain 20 stops this certain way and not like they were in edd. I told him because they are all one way streets and that is the way I always run them. He then proceeds to pull out a google map printout and show me how i should have run them. OK duhhhhhh they are one way streets I cant run them like that they are one way streets. Of course google maps didnt show that they were one way and edd would have had me run them backwards. But this was my fault!!!! Some one needs to implement common sence in some of these sups head before they talk to me. Telematics+Edd=garbage in garbage out. and of course it is the drivers fault.

Ohh not to mentions the talk withs that I have had "recording in travel" ***. Recording in travel I went in 45 min early one day to talk with a higher up regarding this. I had 11,13,11 instances on three seperate days of recording in idle. After Looking at telematics report It was deemed that my package car had not moved between stops when these recording in idle took place. So what you are telling me is that I came to a stop, turned of pkge car, opened bulkhead door, scanned pagage, closed bulkhead door, turned package car on stop completed stop, turned pakcage car off open bulkhead door and repeated process. Freakin retarded it is just stupid.

I have been on a rt for the last couple of months that has been dispatched daily with at least 180-200 stops daily. Averaging 350-410 pieces daily. Averaging 65-75 miles a day. Normal driver and myself finish the rt and am in the building for 830-930 nightly (I take my break he doesnt) center manager drove with other driver for one day and told him their is to much work on this rt something need to be done. Driver hasnt been driving for a year yet and is burnt out. The two rts that neighbor his only go out with 120-130 daily. center manager says they are not allowed to put in anymore rts because ecomomy this ecomony that bull crap. The two drivers that are next to him filed 9.5 grievances and they are scared to put all the work on them. It is too much work.

This is my rant I could go on and on and on and on, trust me I could. mabe later.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
Heff,

Thank you.

I agree with you. To me, maxing out a route is the lazy person's way to improve performance.

I've outlined before what I teach for improving performance. Basically get rid of the operational defects.

Get rid of misloads, put every package in the correct shelf and position, improve the load quality, improve the trace, dispatch tighter areas.

When this is done, time spent sorting in the vehicle reduces, miles reduce, and managment time fixing urgent issues reduce.

This is not easy to do, but the results are real and sustainable.

Best of luck to you,

P-Man
a pure IE response,, really what planet are you from?? There is no way you are relative to operations because your grand plan there is a pipe dream......anyone in operations is working 70+ hours a week trying to appease the UPS gods,,,yet your on here all the time///what do you really do????????? it takes minute to sort a load on area ,, trace and tighter areas fluctuate day to day... if the high up says you can run this many cars then you have to get real creative,,, 10 hr days or not,,,?? You act as if your the majic IE solution,,does your opinion transcend district/ regional operational plans>??? THEY make dispatch core plans,............

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
a pure IE response,, really what planet are you from?? There is no way you are relative to operations because your grand plan there is a pipe dream......anyone in operations is working 70+ hours a week trying to appease the UPS gods,,,yet your on here all the time///what do you really do????????? it takes minute to sort a load on area ,, trace and tighter areas fluctuate day to day... if the high up says you can run this many cars then you have to get real creative,,, 10 hr days or not,,,?? You act as if your the majic IE solution,,does your opinion transcend district/ regional operational plans>??? THEY make dispatch core plans,............
Have you ever read any post by P-Man, before this thread? You're really hot for P-Man, and haven't even taken the time to get to know him. What kind of management person are you, picking on your own kind?

pretzel_man

I've been with UPS 33 years.

This "magical" solution is what I did as a part time supervisor, long before I spent my first day in I.E. The concept of putting packages where they belong the first time and eliminating rework has served me well all these years.

While I havn't been a center manager, it worked for me as a full time hub sup, preload sup, and hub manager.

Yes, of course I.E. also teaches this.

So let me understand your position.

You complain about misloads, but also complain when I say we should do something about it.

You complain about a poor EDD trace, but also complain when I say we should fix that.

You state that these things add to your day, but then say I'm off base by saying fixing them would improve performance.

I'm not discussing theory with you. These are things Ive done and seen work. Of course they depend on a strong management team.

P-Man

Dustyroads

It seems that there are a lot of things management COULD do IF they wanted to achieve a reduction of misloads. Likewise, if they wanted to reduce miles, they could make changes in the trace which would improve efficiency. However, it's like that old saying, "If ifs and buts were beer and nuts, we could have a party." The reality at our center is that there is no way to stop the misloads. What are you going to do? Fire the preloader? You can't even get enough people to come in now, considering the hours, the relative low wages of all new hires, and the new extended time for part timers to receive insurance coverage. Preload managers simply can't afford to suspend anyone. As for the trace, absolutely no one in our building has the authority to change the trace in any way. It's all locked up with a security password that no one in the building has. And the one or two guys in the state that do have it, well, their mindset is that no one can mess with the trace, it's perfect, we set it up. So, our managers have to just tell the drivers, well, just run it the best way. Just disregard the fact that the trace takes you by a single stop four or five times. This is especially common on rural or extended areas, but also exists right downtown. So, despite our center manager's wishes or good intentions, they simply are not given the ability to fix these problems. So, it's just put off on the drivers to make it all go away. A curious situation.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
You complain about misloads, but also complain when I say we should do something about it.

You complain about a poor EDD trace, but also complain when I say we should fix that.

You state that these things add to your day, but then say I'm off base by saying fixing them would improve performance.

P-Man

I think I'm seeing a pattern here!

pretzel_man

It seems that there are a lot of things management COULD do IF they wanted to achieve a reduction of misloads. Likewise, if they wanted to reduce miles, they could make changes in the trace which would improve efficiency. However, it's like that old saying, "If ifs and buts were beer and nuts, we could have a party." The reality at our center is that there is no way to stop the misloads. What are you going to do? Fire the preloader? You can't even get enough people to come in now, considering the hours, the relative low wages of all new hires, and the new extended time for part timers to receive insurance coverage. Preload managers simply can't afford to suspend anyone. As for the trace, absolutely no one in our building has the authority to change the trace in any way. It's all locked up with a security password that no one in the building has. And the one or two guys in the state that do have it, well, their mindset is that no one can mess with the trace, it's perfect, we set it up. So, our managers have to just tell the drivers, well, just run it the best way. Just disregard the fact that the trace takes you by a single stop four or five times. This is especially common on rural or extended areas, but also exists right downtown. So, despite our center manager's wishes or good intentions, they simply are not given the ability to fix these problems. So, it's just put off on the drivers to make it all go away. A curious situation.

Dusty,

First, from my perspective there is no need to suspend, terminate, or discipline preloaders. Just go back to the basics and train and follow up.

Try this please.

Ask the preloaders if they have been trained in proper methods. Package handling, multiple parcel carries, lip loading, dropping to the floor when the shelf is full, snaking the load, etc.

They can't be expected to do the job properly without proper training.

Then, ask them if their misloads have been reviewed with them daily. Do they know how many packages they loaded in the wrong car, wrong shelf, etc?

They can't fix what they don't know about.

Training, communication, and follow up will go a long way.

As far as trace goes, someone is making an excuse. The center management is allowed to change trace. There is no super secret password for changing the trace. There is security for changing the loop and unit because that changes work measurement.

These things are fixable.

P-Man

hellfire

I've been with UPS 33 years.

This "magical" solution is what I did as a part time supervisor, long before I spent my first day in I.E. The concept of putting packages where they belong the first time and eliminating rework has served me well all these years.

While I havn't been a center manager, it worked for me as a full time hub sup, preload sup, and hub manager.

Yes, of course I.E. also teaches this.

So let me understand your position.

I'm not discussing theory with you. These are things Ive done and seen work. Of course they depend on a strong management team.

P-Man
ok,,,every building on edd has a IE superstar called a planner. The planner is responsible to look at last years numbers and formulate a dispatch,, like you said....Now,, a center manager has to decide the lesser of two evils,because the IE planners numbers and the actual numbers allways differ,,,,,,,,,,,the center manager can put more cars in and get chewed out or he can get chewed out for having his drivers out over 9/5,<----- the lesser of the two evils in corporates eyes. every driver in the company can have a perfect load ,,no misloads,, perfect trace,,, yet,, if the planned days are huge,, well then the planned days are still gonna be huge.., alot of injuries ,, low morale,, accidents,, point back to basic flaw in the IE /corporate plan regarding hourlys and dispatch ---TOO MUCH FORCED OT

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Dusty,

First, from my perspective there is no need to suspend, terminate, or discipline preloaders. Just go back to the basics and train and follow up.

Try this please.

Ask the preloaders if they have been trained in proper methods. Package handling, multiple parcel carries, lip loading, dropping to the floor when the shelf is full, snaking the load, etc.

They can't be expected to do the job properly without proper training.

Then, ask them if their misloads have been reviewed with them daily. Do they know how many packages they loaded in the wrong car, wrong shelf, etc?

They can't fix what they don't know about.

Training, communication, and follow up will go a long way.

As far as trace goes, someone is making an excuse. The center management is allowed to change trace. There is no super secret password for changing the trace. There is security for changing the loop and unit because that changes work measurement.

These things are fixable.

P-Man

ok,,,every building on edd has a IE superstar called a planner. The planner is responsible to look at last years numbers and formulate a dispatch,, like you said....Now,, a center manager has to decide the lesser of two evils,because the IE planners numbers and the actual numbers allways differ,,,,,,,,,,,the center manager can put more cars in and get chewed out or he can get chewed out for having his drivers out over 9/5,<----- the lesser of the two evils in corporates eyes. every driver in the company can have a perfect load ,,no misloads,, perfect trace,,, yet,, if the planned days are huge,, well then the planned days are still gonna be huge.., alot of injuries ,, low morale,, accidents,, point back to basic flaw in the IE /corporate plan regarding hourlys and dispatch ---TOO MUCH FORCED OT
If this was a tennis match, which is what it feels like, I'd have to say that you guys were McEnroe & Connors. Sorry for the old school, but those were some of the roughest tennis matches I could come up with.

hellfire

Steve, to be fair, if this were a tennis match, P-man would be Roger Federer and hellfire would be the World's 467,357th-Ranked Tennis Player, Steve Cohen.
another great example of upstate,, as drivers are forced to deal will massive planned days he wants to insult with tennis references..................whats next ,,Richard Simmons quotes????

Dustyroads

Well, apparently there is no incentive for management in our building to reduce misloads, because they have remained constant. The P Man can make whatever kind of excuses he wishes for the actions, but they fall on the management. As for the secret password...well, either it is factual, or it's an excuse that's used to avoid changing the trace. Either way, I think we can see where the problem is and who is left holding the bag.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Seems to me that we're going around in circles, here. What did you guys think about what P-Man said about training and communication?

pretzel_man

I have certainly seen some poor IE planners lately. Let me make some clarifications however.

The IE planner is responsible for creating a high level plan up to one month before the operation starts. They make a forecast of stops and pieces. Again, I've seen some horrible forecasts over the last year.

They take the forecast, and divide it by a planned stops per car to determine how many routes are needed by day. This is put into a system called PKG which records the forecast, plan, and actual. The planned stops per car is supposed to be jointly created between IE and the center and takes into account a planned paid day.

IE however does NOT do the dispatch. Each building should have a Package Dispatch Supervisor that actually creates the dispatch. Their plan is supposed to match PKG.

You are right that if the forecast is wrong, there will be a problem.

Have you looked at the PKG plan in your center?

What is the variance between planned and actual stops? What is the planned vs. actual stops per car and paid day.

You certainly may be right that the plan is the problem and not the execution. PKG will verify that. What does it say?

P-Man

Catatonic

Nine Lives
another great example of upstate,, as drivers are forced to deal will massive planned days he wants to insult with tennis references..................whats next ,,Richard Simmons ???

Now when I see a post by hellfire, I'll have a visual image of Richard Simmons ... in blue short, shorts and a red satin t-shirt.

Nice!